Johan Wagener

Default power balance

If I have 50w nominal splits in the front how would 80w nominal 6x9's in the
back sound? I am afraid that it might overpower the front speakers. Then I
can just as well go for less powerfull speakers in the rear right? I will be
running the front and rear speakers off an amp with gain control for both
front and rear

Paul Vina

How much power a speaker handles has nothing to do with how loud it will
get. Generally rear 6x9s are going to overpower the fronts simply because
they're usually mounted in the rear deck and will load off of the rear
glass. The front speakers are typically door mounted which will attenuate
them and make the problem worse. Either set the fader towards the front or
get an amp for the front speakers.

Paul Vina