Default Shure E2,3,5: sound quality, isolation?

Does anyone have experience comparing Shure E2, E3 and E5 in-ear monitors?

I am using these for location recording (amplified rock/folk music in small
venues), so I need both isolation and good sound. I am experimenting with
keeping these on for the whole show, so I can detect any mic problems.

Right now I'm using the E2's, but I'm not happy with the high end response.
Would the E3 be much better or do I need to go to the E5? Also, has anyone
tried to improve the isolation, either using custom ear molds? There are also
these "triple flange" things that fit on the E3 and E5's.

Thanks for any pointers,
Richard

"novamusic" writes:

wrote:
Does anyone have experience comparing Shure E2, E3 and E5 in-ear

monitors?

I am using these for location recording (amplified rock/folk music in

small
venues), so I need both isolation and good sound. I am experimenting

with
keeping these on for the whole show, so I can detect any mic

problems.

Right now I'm using the E2's, but I'm not happy with the high end

response.
Would the E3 be much better or do I need to go to the E5? Also, has

anyone
tried to improve the isolation, either using custom ear molds? There

are also
these "triple flange" things that fit on the E3 and E5's.

Thanks for any pointers,
Richard

I've used both Etymotic ER6 and the E2 - for my own live on-stage
vocals, which, of course, is different from the application you're
using them for. I ended up using the E2's over the ER6s, because the
ER6s were too trebly for me (they have a strong peak at around 3k). For
me, the ER6s had better isolation, but the E2s aren't bad. I've not
used custom molds, but I'm sure others here will tell you that it's a
big step up toward better isolation and fidelity. You may want to check
out the Etymotic ER4 (not 6), and custom molds. Futuresonics and
Westone also make products well-regarded by others here.

If you're just recording, and not running the PA, they may work. If
you're running the house sound AND recording - you have my sympathy.

Thanks for the tips.

Right. I should clarify. I'm not running the house sound. I just want a
good monitor of what is going on the recording.

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

Richard
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
Does anyone have experience comparing Shure E2, E3 and E5 in-ear
monitors?

I am using these for location recording (amplified rock/folk music in
small venues), so I need both isolation and good sound. I am
experimenting with keeping these on for the whole show, so I can
detect any mic problems.

Right now I'm using the E2's, but I'm not happy with the high end
response. Would the E3 be much better or do I need to go to the E5?
Also, has anyone tried to improve the isolation, either using custom
ear molds? There are also these "triple flange" things that fit on
the E3 and E5's.

I have E2s and E3s. The E3s seem to be somewhat brighter, and also more
efficient.

Better IEM sealing usually pays off mostly in the bass department.

Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:

Right. I should clarify. I'm not running the house sound. I just want a
good monitor of what is going on the recording.

Take over a bathroom or an unused dressing room. Or set up in a corner
of the green room. No headphones will give you a good enough sense of
imaging to allow you to place mikes properly. Not even through the
Headwise box.

The Etymotics are okay if there's no other solution, but a pair of speakers
is so amazingly easier to work with.