William Sommerwerck

Default REVOX PR99 Bias Adjustment

Those values are NOT okay. Properly biased and calibrated, a ReVox should give
you flat response to 20kHz or beyond. The peak at 15kHz indicates something is
defective or misadjusted.

My guess -- based on my experiences with ReVoci -- is that you're overbiased and
have too much record pre-emphasis. (This is a common problem with analog tape
recorders of all brands and formats.)

Start by getting the head alignment and playback EQ correct. Then set the record
bias as recommended by the tape's manufacturer. If the resulting response isn't
_smooth_ (regardless of whether it's flat), fiddle with the record EQ.

Don't worry about screwing up the adjustments. There's no way to mess them up so
badly you can't fix things.

I've failed to calibrate both channels equally though:

100hz test tone - ok - +/- 0.2 dB
1k test tone - i get -0.7dB -0.8 dB on channel 2
10k test tone - ok - +/- 0.2 dB
15k test tone - +2.5dB on both channels.

Are this values ok? is my mind a bit too digitalized maybe?

Revox Agora B. Tri-amped Speakers. Any opinions? RLS Audio Opinions 3 July 7th 04 12:36 PM
Bias amd DBT: I am a skeptic Michael Scarpitti High End Audio 29 October 22nd 03 11:52 PM
RAP5/3/10 Dave Martin & Bob Ohlsson Carey Carlan Pro Audio 5 August 19th 03 01:04 PM
REVOX PR99 ? RoKKo Pro Audio 13 August 13th 03 05:42 AM
help! need Tandberg or Revox power cord CRD General 0 July 3rd 03 02:45 PM