Larry Crimson

Default What to do about poor service

More than 7 years ago I sent a Fisher 500-C to Al Pugliese of the
Fisher Radio Corp to be repaired. I have pleaded with him to send the
radio back to me repaired or not for years. I have filed several
complaints with the Better Business Bureau without any success. My
question is, when you send someone an item to be repaired and they
refuse to return it, what recourse do you have?

Thanks.

Larry Crimson
Philip Meech

Go pick it up with some really big guys. Or get a default judgement in
small claims court and then take it to the Sheriff for enforcement.
If he owns the building or a home or a car or you know where he banks.
you can put a lien , but lawyers know how to get around it
when transferring title to real estate by posting a bond.

Larry Crimson wrote:

More than 7 years ago I sent a Fisher 500-C to Al Pugliese of the
Fisher Radio Corp to be repaired. I have pleaded with him to send the
radio back to me repaired or not for years. I have filed several
complaints with the Better Business Bureau without any success. My
question is, when you send someone an item to be repaired and they
refuse to return it, what recourse do you have?

Thanks.

Larry Crimson

wesley

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:41:53 -0700, Larry Crimson wrote:

More than 7 years ago I sent a Fisher 500-C to Al Pugliese of the
Fisher Radio Corp to be repaired. I have pleaded with him to send the
radio back to me repaired or not for years. I have filed several
complaints with the Better Business Bureau without any success. My
question is, when you send someone an item to be repaired and they
refuse to return it, what recourse do you have?

Thanks.

Larry Crimson

Have you driven to his home or place of business and knocked on his door?
Asked him face-to-face where your equipment is?

At seven years plus you're past the statute of limitations in most states.
You can try small claims court or talk to a lawyer, but jurisdiction
(as well as time) may be an issue if differing states are involved. And
then, even if you do get a judgement, can you enforce it?

Summary of my gut feeling is that you are just SOL on this issue. The guy
is either a crook and you've been had, or he is dead and the item is long
gone.

Larry Crimson

I live several states away so it's not practical to visit in person.
What really amazes me is that every few months when I ask him about
it, he promises it is coming. After 7 years I'm beginning to wonder.
What really honks me off is that this is supposed to be an enjoyable
hobby. You would like to think it could be conducted without resorting
to all the legal and coercive actions that are necessary in regular
business.

The one option I am considering is to sell the rights to the radio for
a nominal price ($10?) to someone who is local and can just go by his
house and pick it up. As ticked off as I am I wouldn't want it to be
confrontational, but I also don't like the idea of him getting the
radio.

Larry

wesley wrote in message ...
[...]

FisherDoc

I noticed your post on the net. Needless to say, I have done quite a bit of
restorations, I have a lot of restorations that I got banged on (customer never
picked them up), and I have some that are finished or near finished still
waiting for their owners who cleam they DO want them.

To be honest, your name don't ring a bell. I am, however, going to check what I
have and look for your name. I assure you your unit is here if you sent it to
me! I would be pleased to complete this transaction ASAP as I am sure you
would!

In the meantime, I did not receive even a single e mail from you - had I not
noticed your post I would never have known about this!

Please let me know.
Thanks and best regards,
AL

Larry Crimson

Al, we all appreciate receiving your best regards but just to jog your
memory:

September 08, 2001
------------------
Sunday, June 01, 2003
---------------------
Friday, February 20, 2004
-------------------------
Wednesday, May 19, 2004
-----------------------
Lou

The Statue of Limitations "may" apply - but - the exception "may" be, if the
guy has responded during the course of those 7 years, then it would seem to
me, that he has aided in keeping the case - open. I hope you kept his
letters of correspondence, you may need them.

Lou

[...]

Jon Yaeger

I'm not an attorney but ASAIK a statue of limitations is just that . . .
I don't believe that general activity prior to the date will prolong the
statutory time. An exception might be an ongoing legal action such as a
lawsuit which could conceivably "stop the clock". Maybe an attorney /
hobbyist could shed better light on it.

In any event the statutes of the State of New York would be controlling and
a little research there might save you trouble and expense later . . .

Jon

Wbittle

Do you have any or all your email and snail mail correspondence with the
shop? Also, do you have a serial number off the 500C? If you do then you
should be able to get the unit back either by talking to the service
shop or as a last resort by involving the law. It is not uncommon for a
service shop to fall on bad times and or to have the owner/operator get
sick and become unresponsive to requests. If the shop has gone under,
all items in the shop may have been seized by creditors. If you have
valid proof that you own a piece of equipment in the shop, they must
give it back to you. But, in many areas, while the liquidation of assets
for payment of past due bills is in progress, things might be tied up.
The bottom line is this. Print and save all correspondence with the
shop. Have a record of the serial number. If you can not get a response
from the shop owner then talk to the law or make an actual visit to the
shop and request your unit back and just take it with you. Believe it or
not, small individual home based shops like my own can be a lot more
responsive to your service requests because many of us will only take on
what we can actually handle and not stock pile jobs like larger shops
tend to do. Every shop is different. Some will give you a written
estimate with an ETA on when it will be done and others will just string
you along. I generally like to see the unit first, then I can tell a
person A, if it is worth repairing, B, a ball park figure of what it
will cost, and C, how long it will take. Once I start with your unit, I
work it till it is finished. I do not do several at once. When A person
does that, they tend to have a pile of half finished jobs and a lot of
****ed off customers. If I could not turn a receiver like a 500C around
in a month (unless waiting for some strange part) I would admit to the
customer that I am stumped and not charge them for anything other then
the shipping back to them. I don't charge for what I don't fix. Every
technician runs intot he unit with a strange intermittent problem. SOme
of these are very difficult to find. But 7 years? That is a bit extreme.
You could build a receiver from scratch in that time.

Sunday, June 01, 2003
---------------------

Friday, February 20, 2004
-------------------------
Don't loose your garbanzos - the set will be coming shortly!

AL

...I would be pleased to complete this transaction ASAP as I am sure you
would!

We can add another promise made and promise broken to the list. After

Thursday, May 20, 2004
----------------------
Hi Larry,

I had sent Eddie an e mail telling him I'd pull his unit and complete

the transaction next week. I will keep in touch with him and do as I
said.

Al Pugliese signs his emails: "We offer...FRIENDLY service, and
personal assistance in a tradition not often seen ANYWHERE!" You're
right, we can be thankful we don't often see this type of service.

Clearly, since Al has kept this unit for over 7 years and has refused
to return it (fixed or unfixed) at the owners expense he is at best
dishonest and probably more likely dishonest and incompetent.

I unfortunately live too far away to get it by law or other means and
that is where you come in. If the work isn't completed in one week I
will offer it to someone who has the means and know-how to retrieve
it. I might be out a radio but I don't want to see the item to go to a
man who talks a good game but is dishonest and deceitful.

Larry Crimson

Larry Crimson

I'm not keeping score but I have heard good and bad too.
Unfortuanately I have experienced only the bad. I think the good is
all just talk though. He makes promises after promise and they sound
earnest. That's probably why I have waited 7 years. You have to draw
the line somewhere and I have decided that 7 years is long enough to
wait.

Larry

Al Pugliese signs his emails: "We offer...FRIENDLY service, and
personal assistance in a tradition not often seen ANYWHERE!" You're
right, we can be thankful we don't often see this type of service.

Clearly, since Al has kept this unit for over 7 years and has refused
to return it (fixed or unfixed) at the owners expense he is at best
dishonest and probably more likely dishonest and incompetent.

That's strange, I've only heard good stories about the Fisher Doc.
I don't have any experience with him myself, however.

Phaethon Phaethon is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Crimson View Post
More than 7 years ago I sent a Fisher 500-C to Al Pugliese of the
Fisher Radio Corp to be repaired. I have pleaded with him to send the
radio back to me repaired or not for years. I have filed several
complaints with the Better Business Bureau without any success. My
question is, when you send someone an item to be repaired and they
refuse to return it, what recourse do you have?

Thanks.

Larry Crimson
OMG!!! Larry, I am thankful I saw your message because I had the same identical experience as you with Al Pugliese who now is revealed to be a selective crook! About 7 years ago, just like you, I send him my Fisher 300 Amp for a minor repair. As time went by I kept calling but after the first few times he promised to send me the amp he never came to the phone but let his wife answer me in essence telling me that she did not know what Al does! My only excuse for waiting that long is that after I kept calling him for over one year without success I had bouts with ill health that rendered me unable to have the time and energy to fight him.
Maybe now we can do something about it since he revealed to be a repeat offender.

In sympathy,
Theodore Phalieros