Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.tech
external usenet poster

Default Store PA Backgd Music Adjustment

I work in retail but have extensive of built-in sound system operation, from prior hotel & corporate office venues.

The system in our shop is pretty straight forward, similar to: http://www.proacousticsusa.com/produ....php?pId=25575

I have only seen the front of the final amp, and do not know the actual make/model. I can say from left to right it's about 12" wide by 6" high, with(left to right) knobs Mic1, Mic2, Aux, Bass, Treb, VOL.

All of the knobs are between 11-1 o'clock, except "Aux" - which controls the internet-fed background music and POP spots heard every 10 minutes, tailored to each store. Aux is down around 7-8 o'clock, or just above 1 on the knob scale 0-10.

We have a general and two asst mgrs set the music at different vols depending on who opens for the business day, but the problem is it seems a small range of adjustment(IE from 1 to halfway between 1 & 2 on the knob) produces a BLAST in volume! lol

I did manage a glimpse at the system while the general manager was adjusting it(typically to a whisper), and later offered to help him adjust settings to reduce this leverage. Of course he said, It's fine the way it is, politely though.

My suggestion would be simple enough: Lower the level of the audio coming from the PC feeding the music/store ads by a small amount, which would allow the Aux knob on the PA to be turned up into a more useful range of operation.

My idea is that lowering the input into that amp, would allow finer volume adjustment(having to move the knob a little more either way to set it, wihout blasting it or completely muting it), especially after turning it down for our monthly team meeting.

Is that a valid solution?