Agent Steel

Default Salvaging water damaged CD inserts?

I recently obtained several CDs that are quite water-damaged. The
booklet pages are all stuck together, and in at least one case, the
back insert is stuck to the jewel case's rear tray.

Can anyone recommend any ways to loosen/unstick the booklet pages that
would minimize damage to the printing short of trying to forcefully
pry the pages apart? As the inserts are pretty warped and stained
already, I wouldn't mind marring or warping them up a bit further to
free the pages, as long as they didn't get too torn up. Using steam
seems like an obvious choice, but is there any sort of methodology to
loosening stuck paper with steam, as with stamps and so on?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Cyriis
Dale Farmer

Agent Steel wrote:

I recently obtained several CDs that are quite water-damaged. The
booklet pages are all stuck together, and in at least one case, the
back insert is stuck to the jewel case's rear tray.

Can anyone recommend any ways to loosen/unstick the booklet pages that
would minimize damage to the printing short of trying to forcefully
pry the pages apart? As the inserts are pretty warped and stained
already, I wouldn't mind marring or warping them up a bit further to
free the pages, as long as they didn't get too torn up. Using steam
seems like an obvious choice, but is there any sort of methodology to
loosening stuck paper with steam, as with stamps and so on?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Cyriis

Basically you need to remoisten them so that they unstick from
each other. But this dramatically weakens the paper, so it is really
easy to tear them when separating the pages. Call the music
publisher and see if you can get replacement booklets.

--Dale

Mark Jung

In article , Dale Farmer
wrote:

Agent Steel wrote:

[...]

Right, since they're pretty much a lost cause, I'd rewet them to seperate
and try to press them flat between two sheets of WHITE paper with a warm
iron. It won't make them "new" again, but might make them usable. You
might want to remove the staples first, to press them flat, and restaple
when you work the kinks out.