wicked1

Default radioshack SPL meters

Are these accurate to measure the SPL inside the vehicle in the drivers
seat?I know it probably wont be dead accurate but is it close? My local car
audio shop wants 65 dollars to test SPL.This seems a little absurd for a 5
minute operation.I could buy the SPL meter at radio shack for a lot less and
I could use it to tweak my system.
What do you guys think of this idea?

John from MMXpress.com

$65 does seem a bit high just to check SPL. If that is for metering the car
with a good RTA, and tweaking an EQ, and tuning your whole system, that is
more than fair. For just an SPL reading, too much.

The rat shack meters are OK. If you want to use it to find your vehicles
sweet note, or for testing at less than max SPL, it will work fine. If you
are looking fo rtrue/accurate results, it might not even go high enough for
your needs.

--
John Spagnolo - teamROCS #016
Multi Media Xpress Car Audio www.mmxpress.com

"wicked1" wrote in message
Are these accurate to measure the SPL inside the vehicle in the drivers
seat?I know it probably wont be dead accurate but is it close? My local

car
audio shop wants 65 dollars to test SPL.This seems a little absurd for a 5
minute operation.I could buy the SPL meter at radio shack for a lot less

and
I could use it to tweak my system.
What do you guys think of this idea?

sancho

what's the reason behind wanting to check your spl?

Paul Vina

probably the same reason lots of people spend assloads of money and time to
do it, because they like it.

Paul Vina

"sancho" tR-003.at.ev1.dot.net wrote in message

what's the reason behind wanting to check your spl?

sancho

probably the same reason lots of people spend assloads of money and time
do it, because they like it.

to do what? check the spl?

the **** are you on about?
--
sancho

narcolept

"sancho" tR-003.at.ev1.dot.net wrote in message
probably the same reason lots of people spend assloads of money and time

do it, because they like it.

to do what? check the spl?

the **** are you on about?
--
sancho

I thoroughly enjoy checking my spl, myself. do it every morning

narcolept
-----
right in between my metamucil and wake up ****. I don't think it's accurate,
there's probably too much cabin gain inside the toilet.

sanitarium

why pump 1500 watts into a subwoofer?
Why painstakingly mount speakers in kickpanels
Why soak up every physics element to tune an air volume to 33.24 Hz
Why fiberglass your quarter panels to fabricate a tuned midbass enclosure
why load up 50 pounds of damping material in an 80Hp compact car
Why enter sound off contests
Why spend hours surfing ebay for a stupid $10 brass battery clamp
Why download an RTA program, mic up your laptop with A behringer field
mic, and measure pink noise
Why idolize richard clark, manville smith, roger holdaway, rich
inferrera, dave riviera...(SP?)

I guess some folks like to know how far their install goes from a db
level stand point.

I cant explain it either, but I admit to it .

Garrett

sancho wrote:

what's the reason behind wanting to check your spl?

John from MMXpress.com

Default Idolizing Dick Clark? WAS: radioshack SPL meters

Why idolize richard clark, manville smith, roger holdaway, rich
inferrera, dave riviera...(SP?)

OK..... Sure, Fishman is original, I can see that. Manville IS the "MAN".
yada yada, but Richard Clark??? Idolize Dick Clark? Are you serious???

Gotta love marketing and hype. Next people are gonna believe Bose is good
stuff.

--

sancho wrote:

what's the reason behind wanting to check your spl?

narcolept

"sanitarium" wrote in message
why should I have left all the drivel? No Reason. Snipped
Why idolize richard clark, manville smith, roger holdaway, rich
inferrera, dave riviera...(SP?)

so what you're saying, by idolizing fishman, is that you measure spl because
you drive a car that would be in better condition if it was just rescued
from a week in a chop shop, or that you like to have your installs held
together with duct tape and a car so ****ed that it literally has to be
trailered into a show because the strain of driving it on a real street
might make it implode?

narcolept
-----
just wondering, because that's exactly why I do it. Wanna be friends?

John from MMXpress.com

I know quite well who you meant.
Richard=Dick!
I just don't think he belongs in that list.

--
John Spagnolo - teamROCS #016
Multi Media Xpress Car Audio www.mmxpress.com
"It's about the music stupid!" John "Batvette" Lucier 98'
R.A.C. FAQ: http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/
JL Audio Tech Section: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials
MMXpress Tech Section: http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/

"sanitarium" wrote in message
LOL... No not Mr. American Bandstand !!

http://www.termpro.com/showcars/terminator/ca1096.html

Garrett

John from MMXpress.com wrote:

Why idolize richard clark, manville smith, roger holdaway, rich
inferrera, dave riviera...(SP?)

OK..... Sure, Fishman is original, I can see that. Manville IS the "MAN".
yada yada, but Richard Clark??? Idolize Dick Clark? Are you serious???

Gotta love marketing and hype. Next people are gonna believe Bose is good
stuff.

sancho

Jesus, you type about as well as you read apparently.

you should talk, asstaste

Read his post and
then my response. Pretty simple really.

your response to my question to him?

the one that was completely irrelevant to said question?

i asked him why he wanted to CHECK his spl... in an effort to clarify his
motives so that he might get proper guidance...

you obviously misinterpreted that as a slight on the idea of spl competition
or striving for high spl in general... talk about a lack of reading
comprehension...
--
sancho

sancho

ooh... another product of the public school system... sw33t...

****tard, did you read the question before spouting off?

i asked "what's the reason behind wanting to check your spl?"

as in "what's the godamned reason behind wanting to check your ****ing spl?"

not "why spl" or "why caraudio" yadda yadda yadda

motives and goals are important to understanding the problems and solutions,
asshat...
--
sancho
it's like talking to the collective ass end of a band of idiots around

sancho wrote:

what's the reason behind wanting to check your spl?

sancho

I know quite well who you meant.
Richard=Dick!
I just don't think he belongs in that list.

let the idjits idolize the slightly more famous idjits (dick, the fishtard,
et al)... mebbe one day they will get slightly more famous and we can make
fun of what gargantuan idjits they are...

wait... we're already doing that aren't we?
--
sancho
missed the r.a.c.

sancho

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

What difference does it make why he wants to do it? If he wants to do it,
he wants to do it. Just answer him if you can and move on.

rhetorical question are you an idiot? /rhetorical question

sancho

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
newsa0Ab.432235$Tr4.1214904@attbi_s03...
It can be rhetorical if you want it to be but it still didn't answer my
question. Why does it matter why he wants to measure his SPL?

if he wants to measure spl of different frequencies in the car at relatively
low levels with a low degree of accuracy... as a cheap alternative to an
rta... the radioshack metre would be fine...

if he wants to actually be competitive in spl events, he will need to spend
some money...

if he wants to impress his friends with his rowdy wicked spl numeros, the
little needle whacking the edge of the rs metre might be all he needs...

etc

etc

etc

seriously, if you didn't know the answer to that question you shouldn't be
pretending that you aren't a ****wit...

one of the main problems i see on r.a.c. is the tendency to give cookie
cutter answers without understanding the motives of the inquiring person or
even the questions themselves.
--
sancho
how does your ass taste from the inside?

Paul Vina

if he wants to measure spl of different frequencies in the car at
relatively
low levels with a low degree of accuracy... as a cheap alternative to an
rta... the radioshack metre would be fine...

Agreed.

if he wants to actually be competitive in spl events, he will need to

spend
some money...

Agreed. But in his secong post he asked about cheap alternatives.
Obviously competing is not his intention. Also, if you'd ever read any of
his other posts you'd see he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be
competing at even a regional level.

if he wants to impress his friends with his rowdy wicked spl numeros, the
little needle whacking the edge of the rs metre might be all he needs...

Which is all he's looking for. See answer above.

seriously, if you didn't know the answer to that question you shouldn't be
pretending that you aren't a ****wit...

If you knew anything about me, and you don't, you'd know I'm anything but a
****wit.

one of the main problems i see on r.a.c. is the tendency to give cookie
cutter answers without understanding the motives of the inquiring person

or
even the questions themselves.

As you can see I didn't provide him with a "cookie-cutter" answer. I
already had knowledge of him, what he listens to, his system configuration
and if he was looking to compete or not, ass.

Paul Vina

sancho

As you can see I didn't provide him with a "cookie-cutter" answer. I
already had knowledge of him, what he listens to, his system configuration
and if he was looking to compete or not, ass.

how could you? he didn't post any of that **** until after i asked...

thelizman

Paul Vina wrote:

Agreed. But in his secong post he asked about cheap alternatives.
Obviously competing is not his intention. Also, if you'd ever read any of
his other posts you'd see he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be
competing at even a regional level.

"Cheap" is a relativistic term. What sancho is pointing out is that you
should never make assumptions the predicate to giving advice. Get the
poster to clarify their intentions. You may be right, you may be wrong,
but you won't know without clarification.

If you knew anything about me, and you don't, you'd know I'm anything but a
****wit.

Not a ****wit, but a bit of a sucker. Sancho is a troll. He is the
greatest troll rac has ever known, and you took the bait. Learn to
ignore his acidic wit, and you'll find that he is on your team. Better
yet, just ignore him altogether. He has made people cry.

--
Lizard
Trying to keep the peace, before paul get a piece.
narcolept

"thelizman" thelizman1221.yahoo@com wrote in message
Paul Vina wrote:

[...]

he is, however, better than the average troll, because when he actually
wants to help someone, he can do it better than most of the ****ers to ever
grace r.a.c... That's why some of us love the sancho, because he's one
intelligent mother****er, along with telling people they're ****wits when
they warrant it, and ****ing with people who he just doesn't like... and
yes, he has made several people run away from r.a.c to their mommies with
eyes full of tears

narcolept
-----
still trying to give lizzy the rest of that pack of menthols to take sancho
back though..

--
Lizard
Trying to keep the peace, before paul get a piece.

sancho

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

Also, if you'd ever read any of
his other posts you'd see he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be
competing at even a regional level.

that doesn't seem to stop many people...

thelizman

sancho wrote:
"Paul Vina" wrote in message

Also, if you'd ever read any of
his other posts you'd see he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be
competing at even a regional level.

that doesn't seem to stop many people...

In lieu of technical knowledge, many people utilize checkbooks. In fact,
several competitors have achieved fame in car audio using many zeros,
such as a guy whose name rhymes with "Pearl Sauce Sooner".

--
Lizard
Check book kings with trailer queens have a history of earning bling bling.

sancho

****... you take all the fun out of it... i didn't even have to edit that...
--
sancho
how bout this knob?

sancho

He's been posting here for a while.

how long have you fairies been humouring this asswad?