Geoff Wood

Default is quality PC soundcard relevant to editing and burning digital sound?

Arny Krueger wrote:
Robert Morein wrote:

Right, but you don't need a LynxTWO to mix.

But you wouldn't want a Vibra 16 either.

I have a modern laptop that appears to have excellent quality.

Mine is crap (HP Presario, or is that Pavillion ?) . EVen listening to a CD
on headphones is unsatisfactory bbecause of hiss and insufficient drive. My
Transit USB is infintiely better.

geoff

Arny Krueger

Geoff Wood wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
Robert Morein wrote:

Right, but you don't need a LynxTWO to mix.

But you wouldn't want a Vibra 16 either.

The Vibra 16 has been out of production for at least 5 years. It's ancient
history. It was not all that objectionable unless you tried to record and
play at the same time. Under those conditions, it essentially became an 8
bit device and sounded pretty horrible.

I have a modern laptop that appears to have excellent quality.

Mine is crap (HP Presario, or is that Pavillion ?) . Even listening
to a CD on headphones is unsatisfactory because of hiss and
insufficient drive. My Transit USB is infinitely better.

Yes, the good news is that we now have reasonably-priced USB accessories
such as the iMic ($29.95) that allow listeners to obtain true CD-quality
sound quality playback from laptops that unfortunately have questionable
built-in audio interfaces.

Bob Newheart

All,

Thanks very much for the replies, the tech side is clear, the point about
needing to be able to hear to judge how to edit is a good one I didn't have
front of mind. I'll go for a decent card reputed to have little hiss,
audigy2 or something (or did I say something unspeakable just now).

ciao,

BN

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a mini-DV tape with a nature sounds soundtrack I would like to
capture, edit (basically copy several times to make a longer track),
and burn on CD. As the soundtrack is digital and will be captured
through firewire, edited digitally, and burned on audio CD, it
appears to me that the quality of my soundcard has no influence in
any way on this process (i.e. a crappy one can generate a hiss in
playback but the sound card is not in the chain of
DVtape-to-PC-to-CD).

Am I correct here?

Yes, except that your editing decisions may be flawed if based on the

sound
you hear froma crap soundcard.

geoff

Robert Morein

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a mini-DV tape with a nature sounds soundtrack I would like to
capture, edit (basically copy several times to make a longer track),
and burn on CD. As the soundtrack is digital and will be captured
through firewire, edited digitally, and burned on audio CD, it
appears to me that the quality of my soundcard has no influence in
any way on this process (i.e. a crappy one can generate a hiss in
playback but the sound card is not in the chain of
DVtape-to-PC-to-CD).

Am I correct here?

Yes, except that your editing decisions may be flawed if based on the

sound
you hear froma crap soundcard.

geoff

I strongly agree with this.
A good quality sound card is essential for editing this kind of material.
I find the Audigy/2 to be good enough.