Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default unbalanced to balanced input

"Todd H." wrote ...
"gunnet" writes:

So in the end to sum all:

I make the cable: hot to hot, shield to shield, easy......
and I don't loose 6db because power for me is important as I have to
play
music laud in party.

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think. But what do I
know, I've only actually used DI boxes in this situation with good
success, have an EE degree and have worked professionally as a circuit
designer.

Suggest avoiding audio circuit design. Recommending a 110:1
device in a 1:1 application is wildly inadvisable.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Todd H." wrote in message

"gunnet" writes:

So in the end to sum all:

I make the cable: hot to hot, shield to shield,
easy......
and I don't loose 6db because power for me is important
as I have to play music laud in party.

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think.
But what do I know, I've only actually used DI boxes in
this situation with good success,

I've used DI boxes for this purpose and had good sucess as well. My
application was connecting the unbalanced outputs of some low-cost wireless
mics to a console that was about 100' away. The mics had 1/4" unbalanced
jacks for their outputs and the console inputs were balanced.

Of course the DI boxes were suboptimal, overkill and everything else, but I
had them on hand. In the end the sound was good enough and the job got
done.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
"Todd H." wrote:

"gunnet" writes:

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think.

It's completely useless since it introduces a 20dB drop
in signal level for one thing ! ( 50dB if you use the pad
).

Right, the balanced input that these are used with is a mic input that has
from 10-50 dB to 0-60 dB gain, depending on the specific mic input.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Todd H." wrote in message

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think.
But what do I know, I've only actually used DI boxes in
this situation with good success,

I've used DI boxes for this purpose and had good sucess as well.

No you haven't. Read the thread !

My
application was connecting the unbalanced outputs of some low-cost wireless
mics to a console that was about 100' away. The mics had 1/4" unbalanced
jacks for their outputs and the console inputs were balanced.

Right.

They weren't line level inputs which is exactly the point there !

A DI box with its step down is no good for driving a 1V rms type line input !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
"Todd H." wrote
"gunnet" writes:

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think.

It's completely useless since it introduces a 20dB drop
in signal level for one thing ! ( 50dB if you use the pad
).

Right, the balanced input that these are used with is a mic input that has
from 10-50 dB to 0-60 dB gain, depending on the specific mic input.

Read the damn thread Arny.

The OP doesn't have a MIC input ! Unless he's been hiding something.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
"Todd H." wrote
"gunnet" writes:

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think.

It's completely useless since it introduces a 20dB drop
in signal level for one thing ! ( 50dB if you use the
pad ).

Right, the balanced input that these are used with is a
mic input that has from 10-50 dB to 0-60 dB gain,
depending on the specific mic input.

Read the damn thread Arny.

Use your memory for a change, Graham. I posted an effective solution to the
OP's problem several days ago in the form of a reference to Rane Note 110.
Can you remember that far back, or do I need to post a google URL to make my
point? ;-)

The OP doesn't have a MIC input ! Unless he's been hiding
something.

Never heard of thread drift, I take it. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
"Todd H." wrote
"gunnet" writes:

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to think.

It's completely useless since it introduces a 20dB drop
in signal level for one thing ! ( 50dB if you use the
pad ).

Right, the balanced input that these are used with is a
mic input that has from 10-50 dB to 0-60 dB gain,
depending on the specific mic input.

Read the damn thread Arny.

Use your memory for a change, Graham. I posted an effective solution to the
OP's problem several days ago in the form of a reference to Rane Note 110.
Can you remember that far back, or do I need to post a google URL to make my
point? ;-)

I recall it well Arny.

In classic Rane fashion it was an ideal solution. It appeared to confuse the OP
though since he attempted it somehow with single screened cable. Follow the
thread to where he explains this.

The OP doesn't have a MIC input ! Unless he's been hiding
something.

Never heard of thread drift, I take it. ;-)

Irrelevant here.

DIs are not a suitable solution for the OP's task *EVER* !

I think I should call you for obfuscation ! loTs !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
"Todd H." wrote
"gunnet" writes:

So this item is useless in my case
http://www.behringer.com/DI600P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

No not useless, contrary to what others seem to
think.

It's completely useless since it introduces a 20dB
drop in signal level for one thing ! ( 50dB if you
use the pad ).

Right, the balanced input that these are used with is a
mic input that has from 10-50 dB to 0-60 dB gain,
depending on the specific mic input.

Read the damn thread Arny.

Use your memory for a change, Graham. I posted an
effective solution to the OP's problem several days ago
in the form of a reference to Rane Note 110. Can you
remember that far back, or do I need to post a google
URL to make my point? ;-)

I recall it well Arny.

No you don't.

In classic Rane fashion it was an ideal solution.

Nope, Rane note is a table of about 24 solutions.

It appeared to confuse the OP though since he attempted it
somehow with single screened cable.

You need to read the thread yourself, Graham.

What he said is:

"Before I made a cable as illustrated at number 17, but I get some noise
coming from the speaker.:

Referencing http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Solution number 17 clearly shows 2-conductor shielded cable. Either he
didn't do what he said and was speaking falsely, or he did what he said, and
had a different problem.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and presume that he did what he
said, but had an additional more subtle problem with his balanced input.

I speculate that his balanced input was a typical transformerless balanced
input. The additional more subtle problem that I've encountered in
situations like this was due to common mode dynamic range limitations of
many transformerless balanced inputs.

The relevant problem with Rane Note 110 solution 17 is that there is no
explicit connection between the chassis of the two pieces of equipment.
This makes chassis ground potential differences more likely, and that makes
it more likely that the common mode dynamic range of the balanced input is
being exceeded.

When I make cables like the one shown in solution 17, I have been known to
attach an alligator clip to the shield at the left end. If there is stil hum
after plugging in the RCA connector, I experimentally attach the alligator
clip to the source piece of equipment. There may be a small or large spark.
There's a good chance that the hum goes away, either way. ;-)

If the spark is non-existent or small, I have a working solution.

If the spark when I attach the ground clip is very large, I may have to
reset a breaker or replace a fuse. ;-(

But, I then have a good order-of-magnitude estimate of the problem. ;-)
Often moving the line plug of the source piece of equipment or reversing it
can help.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet gunnet is offline

I really tried the rane solution at number 17 of the document....
look at this pic I took
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7439/xlrck7.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1839/im000033yj6.jpg

As you can see the shield is now cutted because yesterday I tried to see
what happens with just the hot and the cold connected: it's the same as
before. On another cable I tried also to cut the cold, result: weird hum and
noise from the speaker.

I want to specify that I don't have a mic, or instruments. I just want to
connect the cd to the amplifier to play music in stereo. And the cd could be
near, or also on the top of the amplifier.

P.S.
The solder point are good of the cable are good?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"gunnet" wrote ...
I really tried the rane solution at number 17 of the document....
look at this pic I took
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7439/xlrck7.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1839/im000033yj6.jpg

As you can see the shield is now cutted because yesterday I tried to
see what happens with just the hot and the cold connected: it's the
same as before. On another cable I tried also to cut the cold, result:
weird hum and noise from the speaker.

Assuming that at the other end of your cable is an adapter that
breaks out the stereo 3.5mm into two mono 3.5mm. Which
would imply that you have TWO of these cables, one for the
right channel, and one for the left. Is that correct?

I want to specify that I don't have a mic, or instruments. I just want
to connect the cd to the amplifier to play music in stereo. And the cd
could be near, or also on the top of the amplifier.

You have steadfastly refused to identify what "amplifier"
you are trying to connect to. This is not only a great
mystery to us who are trying to help you, but contributes
to your ongoing problems.

Since you won't identify the equipment, go out and buy
a cheap stereo isolation transformer box and the
appropriate cables and cut your losses. Like this...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tor?sku=150450

Yes, you can do this with just a specially-wired cable,
but not without knowing exactly what you are interfacing
with. There are different kinds of "balanced inputs"

Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet gunnet is offline

Assuming that at the other end of your cable is an adapter that
breaks out the stereo 3.5mm into two mono 3.5mm. Which
would imply that you have TWO of these cables, one for the
right channel, and one for the left. Is that correct?

yesI have two of them. At the other and there is an rca connector for the cd
player.

You have steadfastly refused to identify what "amplifier"
you are trying to connect to. This is not only a great
mystery to us who are trying to help you, but contributes
to your ongoing problems.

Oh I forgot, I'm not man of mistery but noone has asked me directly what
amplifier it was... I have a Db technologies MT530:
http://flankenlauf.cfmx.de/db-techno...ugid=0&pid=39I found also this on the amplifier, it has some foto if it helps:http://www.audioproject.it/MT530.htmCD player: Onkyo DX-7222: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/4619/Manu...22_English.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"gunnet" wrote...
Oh I forgot, I'm not man of mistery but noone has asked me directly
what amplifier it was...

I asked you last Wednesday.

I have a Db technologies MT530:
http://flankenlauf.cfmx.de/db-techno...ugid=0&pid=39I
found also this on the amplifier, it has some foto if it
helps:http://www.audioproject.it/MT530.htmCD player: Onkyo DX-7222:
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/4619/Manu...22_English.pdf

Get a couple of simple RCA to 1/4 inch (mono) cables
and plug it into the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) jack. Or a couple
of RCA to 1/4 inch adapters and just a simple RCA to
RCA stereo cable. Why fool around with the XLRs for
unbalanced signals?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

"Richard Crowley" writes:

"gunnet" wrote...
Oh I forgot, I'm not man of mistery but noone has asked me directly
what amplifier it was...

I asked you last Wednesday.

I have a Db technologies MT530:
http://flankenlauf.cfmx.de/db-techno...ugid=0&pid=39I
found also this on the amplifier, it has some foto if it
helps:http://www.audioproject.it/MT530.htmCD player: Onkyo DX-7222:
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/4619/Manu...22_English.pdf

Get a couple of simple RCA to 1/4 inch (mono) cables
and plug it into the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) jack. Or a couple
of RCA to 1/4 inch adapters and just a simple RCA to
RCA stereo cable. Why fool around with the XLRs for
unbalanced signals?

Doh!
--
% Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Get a couple of simple RCA to 1/4 inch (mono) cables
and plug it into the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) jack. Or a couple
of RCA to 1/4 inch adapters and just a simple RCA to
RCA stereo cable. Why fool around with the XLRs for
unbalanced signals?

Isn't that exactly what I said days ago?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Get a couple of simple RCA to 1/4 inch (mono) cables
and plug it into the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) jack. Or a couple
of RCA to 1/4 inch adapters and just a simple RCA to
RCA stereo cable. Why fool around with the XLRs for
unbalanced signals?

Isn't that exactly what I said days ago?

The OP only just revealed that he had an amplifier with
1/4-inch TRS input connectors. Unless I missed something
previously?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Get a couple of simple RCA to 1/4 inch (mono) cables
and plug it into the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) jack. Or a couple
of RCA to 1/4 inch adapters and just a simple RCA to
RCA stereo cable. Why fool around with the XLRs for
unbalanced signals?

Isn't that exactly what I said days ago?

The OP only just revealed that he had an amplifier with
1/4-inch TRS input connectors. Unless I missed something
previously?

You sure did then!

MrT.

"gunnet" wrote in message
thank you very much guys. I'm using cd player -----amplifier

Now I've got also the manual wich has some illustration:

Here's what it says:
XLR unbalanced: Hot to pin2 Shield to pin1 and to pin3.

JACK 6,3mm unbalanced: hot with hot, shield with shield.

So what you are saying is the amp already has an unbalanced input, where all
you would need is a readily available RCA-Phone jack lead, and for some
reason you are trying to complicate the issue as much as possible?