Default What the hell is this ****??? is this for real?? anyone used these before?

http://www.usdaudio.com/tutorials/ap-tut1.php

has anyone ever listened to this setup before? Does this work good?
Has anyone delt with this before? Are these "mats" expensive?
Would it work with 8" subs????

sanitarium

Yes its for real. Aperiodic emclosures are not the most common for car
audio booming though, more of a SQ application. Search the termpro.com
forums for "aperiodic" Lots of info archived there.

I have a pair of 12s and a 15 on order and will attempt an aperiodic
design in my hatchback, venting the aperiodic wall into the spare tire
well, sealed from the interior.

read my previous post for url links on Richard Clark and Harry Kimura.
Garrett

wrote:
http://www.usdaudio.com/tutorials/ap-tut1.php

has anyone ever listened to this setup before? Does this work good?
Has anyone delt with this before? Are these "mats" expensive?
Would it work with 8" subs????

tommy

Default What the hell is this ****??? is this for real?? anyone used

so are there sq gains by using these type of boxes

--
tommy

Paul Vina

If that is what you're after, yes. Think of it like an infinite baffle
(free-air) setup but with optimal damping at all frequencies or a sealed box
that is the optimum size for whatever frequency is being played.

Paul Vina

"tommy" wrote in message

so are there sq gains by using these type of boxes

--
tommy
tommy's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...nfo&userid=160
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=9810

tommy

sounds interesting but is the design of the box hard? please give more
detail on how to build one

--
tommy

sanitarium

I really wish I could elaborate on the construction but I have no first
hand experience, so I'd just be regurgitating www materials... See my

I should be getting a powerbase XS-15D in the mail soon
http://www.powerbaseusa.com/products...xtremesub.html

I'm gonna try an aperiodic enclosure for it, and push it with 800W rms.
No where near its capacity, but Im on a budget right now and my SPL
goal is around 120-125db. So I'm tuning it more for SQ. Good
efficiency, low Qts and low Fs so it should work well.

I'll keep you posted in the next few weeks.

Garrett

tommy wrote:
sounds interesting but is the design of the box hard? please give more
detail on how to build one

--
tommy

Paul Vina

It's really simple actually. First build a sealed enclosure as small as
possible, just big enough to contain the sub is perfect, with an open back.
Bolt the aperiodic membrane onto the opening in the back. Now for the only
really *hard* part, the trunk and cabin must be physically separated exactly
like when doing an infinite baffle or "free-air" install. That's it. Every
aperiodic system I've seen has a low bass compensation circuit (basically an
eq strictly for the sub amp) that will fill in the low end that's lost
because of the inefficiency of the aperiodic design. Which brings me to the
only drawback, a decrease (usually about 3dB) in output. Check out this
link for more info about the install:
http://www.usdaudio.com/tutorials/ap-tut1.php and this one for the USD
Audio APMat: http://www.usdaudio.com/products/ap.php

Paul Vina

tommy wrote:
sounds interesting but is the design of the box hard? please give more
detail on how to build one

--
tommy
tommy's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...nfo&userid=160
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=9810

Stephen Narayan

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 23:59:10 GMT, tommy
wrote:

sounds interesting but is the design of the box hard? please give more
detail on how to build one

There's a pretty good technical article on these over at
www.elitecaraudio.com

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003
Audio Perfection | RTA system evaluation and tuning |
My System/s: Denon | Clarion ADCS-1 | Orion | Dynaudio | PG ZPA | Blade | Kicker
teamROCS Member #068 |
http://www.teamrocs.com

Why not check out my car audio museum
http://canuck.audioguy.net/gear.html
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
tommy wrote:

sounds interesting but is the design of the box hard? please give more
detail on how to build one

--
tommy

There isn't a box. The back of the speaker vents into a large area such
as the trunk or the exterior; infinite baffle. The mat covers the vent
for acoustic dampening. The trick is that with no box, you have to make
a seal between the interior and exterior of the car. That means a large
air-tight custom panel that replaces the rear seats or a side panel.

It might not be very easy to install but it should sound very good.
Most car audio sub enclosures sound like crap because making them 4 to 6
cubic feet isn't practical.
Tony Fernandes

Just out of curiosity, if AP enclosures sound so good, then why haven't I
seen them in more SQ competition vehicles?

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

Tha Ghee

have you heard of Mark Elridge (sp?). he runs a.per in his 4runner and it's
one of the most victorious setups in IASCA.

it's not that hard to setup just have to get a big woofer and lots of power

capone

i gotta do some reasearch this sounds interesting

--
capone

Paul Vina

it's not that hard to setup just have to get a big woofer and lots of

power

No and no. You can use it with any size woofer and with small amps. I've
seen APs used in the old 1-50 watt class before with great results.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

I'll agree that most of the AP setups do use big woofers and large or old
school cheater amps, but I've built and seen other cars using as little as
100 watts and a single 10. I did an AP setup in an old Saturn of mine with
an Oz 12 and a Linear Power 992IQ and it was squeaky clean and got plenty
loud for me.

Paul Vina

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

it's not that hard to setup just have to get a big woofer and lots of

power

No and no. You can use it with any size woofer and with small amps.

I've
seen APs used in the old 1-50 watt class before with great results.

Paul Vina

Tha Ghee

not to split hairs but, a 12 sub is not a small sub. when I think of a
small sub, I'm talking about 12+, not 5, 6-1/2, or 8", they seem to not
respond well to the mats. I've run a IDQ with Xtant 200xi and most thought
it was 2 12"s or a 15"

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I'll agree that most of the AP setups do use big woofers and large or old
school cheater amps, but I've built and seen other cars using as little as
100 watts and a single 10. I did an AP setup in an old Saturn of mine

with
an Oz 12 and a Linear Power 992IQ and it was squeaky clean and got plenty
loud for me.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

I listened to an Integra HB with a single 10 with a USD AP Mat that sounded
really great, but I get what you mean. I really like the way a dual AP 18
setup with a couple thousand watts. Now THAT'S good stuff!!

Paul Vina

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I'll agree that most of the AP setups do use big woofers and large or

old
school cheater amps, but I've built and seen other cars using as little

as
100 watts and a single 10. I did an AP setup in an old Saturn of mine

with
an Oz 12 and a Linear Power 992IQ and it was squeaky clean and got

plenty
loud for me.

Paul Vina

truepro

I am going to post a 3D exploded pic of an AP mat for you guys in th
next few days. I will also include all part numbers of the things and
link to a website that will show you step by step how to build thes
things. Tuning them is silly, because how would you tune a "leaky
sealed box? The "leak" allows the woofer to keep extending lower as th
pressure remains close to constant as frequency changes...which seem
like witchcraft, but it works...I did one not too long ago for a frien
in a 65 mustang with 3 10" woofers and one old punch 100...measue
139dB in the car

-
truepr

Paul Vina

Tuning them is silly, because how would you tune a "leaky"
sealed box?

By coltrolling the thickness of the Mat you can over or underdamp the sub.
It can make a pretty big difference.

Paul Vina

Tony Fernandes

Please do so as soon as you can. I'll be making my mats this weekend and
the more info I have the better!!!

Tony

"truepro" wrote in message

I am going to post a 3D exploded pic of an AP mat for you guys in the
next few days. I will also include all part numbers of the things and a
link to a website that will show you step by step how to build these
things. Tuning them is silly, because how would you tune a "leaky"
sealed box? The "leak" allows the woofer to keep extending lower as the
pressure remains close to constant as frequency changes...which seems
like witchcraft, but it works...I did one not too long ago for a friend
in a 65 mustang with 3 10" woofers and one old punch 100...measued
139dB in the car.

--
truepro
truepro's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=2998
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=9810

sanitarium

please please please... post this info. 139db off a punch 100... not
bad IMHO for an AP enclosure. Ive heard soo many pros / cons, about
these things, had to try it myself.

Here are pics of my AP enclosure, If the links dont work, just
copy/paste them in the URL window.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_89_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_90_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_91_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_92_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_93_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_94_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_95_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_96_full.jpg

What you dont see is the heavily perforated, fiberglassed spare tire
well that the AP mat vents into, with the mini spare stowed below deck.
The 2 small enclosures on the side are reserved for a pair of RF 8's
I still have to carpet the box and carrige (SP?) bolt it through the
chassis.

I have about an inch of comperssed AP mat material right now.

Garrett

truepro wrote:

I am going to post a 3D exploded pic of an AP mat for you guys in the
next few days. I will also include all part numbers of the things and a
link to a website that will show you step by step how to build these
things. Tuning them is silly, because how would you tune a "leaky"
sealed box? The "leak" allows the woofer to keep extending lower as the
pressure remains close to constant as frequency changes...which seems
like witchcraft, but it works...I did one not too long ago for a friend
in a 65 mustang with 3 10" woofers and one old punch 100...measued
139dB in the car.

--
truepro

thelizman

truepro wrote:
I am going to post a 3D exploded pic of an AP mat for you guys in the
next few days. I will also include all part numbers of the things and a
link to a website that will show you step by step how to build these
things. Tuning them is silly, because how would you tune a "leaky"
sealed box? The "leak" allows the woofer to keep extending lower as the
pressure remains close to constant as frequency changes...which seems
like witchcraft, but it works...I did one not too long ago for a friend
in a 65 mustang with 3 10" woofers and one old punch 100...measued
139dB in the car.

I will once again point out to your morons who need a web interface to
post your **** on this newsgroup that rec.audio.car is NOT a binary
newsgroup. Posting anything other than text here is verbotten, and it
violates your ISP's AUP, and the AUP of the service you're using.

--
Lizard
And learn to ****ing quote, morons.

thelizman

sanitarium wrote:
Oops... can I post url links to pics? Are they considered text?

That would be splendid.

--
Lizard
Fabulous....

thelizman

sanitarium wrote:
Oops... can I post url links to pics? Are they considered text?

sorry...
Garrett

By the way, you get the award for the most unflinching reaction to a
flame award...type....award...thingy...

--
Lizard
nonplussed

John Durbin

sad... the Lizard is losing his touch.

JD
just as well, one of these days it was going to get him arrested for
harassment anyway