Brucefan

Default 95 Maxima w/Bose audio console replacement advice

Hi all,

I like to replace my current BOSE CD/Tape player console in my 95
Maxima with something better and more versatile. I understand that
this unit is hard to replace, therefore I'd probably go seek
professional help on installation.

My goal is to keep the BOSE speakers as I find them good enough for my
needs. Since I haven't disassemble the unit, I don't know the wiring
layout of the speakers. I assume they're four separate channels
(Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, and Rear Left) because I'm able
to balance and fade to each corner if I wish. My plan is to be able
to play DTS CDs, which would mean I need to add a Center channel and a
subwoofer for 5.1 sound. Are my above assumptions correct? I also
welcome any other suggestions. TIA.

Sean Scott

"Brucefan" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

I like to replace my current BOSE CD/Tape player console in my 95
Maxima with something better and more versatile. I understand that
this unit is hard to replace, therefore I'd probably go seek
professional help on installation.

My goal is to keep the BOSE speakers as I find them good enough for my
needs. Since I haven't disassemble the unit, I don't know the wiring
layout of the speakers. I assume they're four separate channels
(Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, and Rear Left) because I'm able
to balance and fade to each corner if I wish. My plan is to be able
to play DTS CDs, which would mean I need to add a Center channel and a
subwoofer for 5.1 sound. Are my above assumptions correct? I also
welcome any other suggestions. TIA.

Bose speakers are specifically designed to work with the Bose HU and if you
change the HU the speakers most likely wouldnt sound the same with the new
HU.

Brucefan

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:27:57 -0500, "Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote:

I just did some research on my own and found out that I should NOT run
the Bose speakers off of a aftermarket headunit because:

- the impedence of the speakers are far too low and will cause
problems.
- new headunit/amp will not have the BOSE active equalization.

Therefore, you're absolutely right. Thanks SS.

"Brucefan" wrote in message
[...]

Tony F

There are adapters that allow you to just change out the HU. However, I
agree that it will probably be better to just swap out the entire Bose
system, especially with what you have in mind. That's what I did in my 2001
Max.

Also check out http://www.maxima.org for more info.

Tony

--
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
"Brucefan" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

I like to replace my current BOSE CD/Tape player console in my 95
Maxima with something better and more versatile. I understand that
this unit is hard to replace, therefore I'd probably go seek
professional help on installation.

My goal is to keep the BOSE speakers as I find them good enough for my
needs. Since I haven't disassemble the unit, I don't know the wiring
layout of the speakers. I assume they're four separate channels
(Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, and Rear Left) because I'm able
to balance and fade to each corner if I wish. My plan is to be able
to play DTS CDs, which would mean I need to add a Center channel and a
subwoofer for 5.1 sound. Are my above assumptions correct? I also
welcome any other suggestions. TIA.

Brucefan

Tony,

Thanks for the great link. I would love to swap out my entire system,
but I'm afraid that the entire installation would be too time
consuming. It would be nice if I can just pay someone I trust that
does good work, but I don't know that person. I think I read on
maxima.org that it took someone 1.5 days to replace the HU and all
speakers. IYHO, how long would it take an average person (who isn't a
professional installer) to do the install following guides/posts found
on maxima.org?

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:59:29 -0800, "Tony F"
wrote:

There are adapters that allow you to just change out the HU. However, I
agree that it will probably be better to just swap out the entire Bose
system, especially with what you have in mind. That's what I did in my 2001
Max.

Also check out http://www.maxima.org for more info.

Tony

Sean Scott

HU and all speakers as long as you have everything at hand and are not
waiting on delivery shouldnt take more than 8 hours, even less if you are
not running wire for an amp or if you do not have to rerun any speaker wire.
I only have done my HU and rear speakers and it only took me 2 hours.

Have you thought about doing it yourself? It is really quite simple and
most adapter harness come with very good instructions. 95% of all harnesses
and radios use the same colors for the same wires meaning you just match
black to black and green to green etc.

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself I would take it to a chain of
stores like Best Buy or Circuit City and that way even if they do mess up
you can hold them responsible to fix any damage they did to the car.

wrote:

There are adapters that allow you to just change out the HU. However, I
agree that it will probably be better to just swap out the entire Bose
system, especially with what you have in mind. That's what I did in my
2001
Max.

Also check out http://www.maxima.org for more info.

Tony

Brucefan

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:31:05 -0500, "Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote:

HU and all speakers as long as you have everything at hand and are not
waiting on delivery shouldnt take more than 8 hours, even less if you are
not running wire for an amp or if you do not have to rerun any speaker wire.
I only have done my HU and rear speakers and it only took me 2 hours.

Have you thought about doing it yourself? It is really quite simple and
most adapter harness come with very good instructions. 95% of all harnesses
and radios use the same colors for the same wires meaning you just match
black to black and green to green etc.

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself I would take it to a chain of
stores like Best Buy or Circuit City and that way even if they do mess up
you can hold them responsible to fix any damage they did to the car.

Sean,

Thanks for the input. If I can use the existing Bose wires (since I
read somewhere that the Bose lines are balanced,) I will certainly
save myself some extra work. I assume I would just use the two signal
wires and ignore the third conductor (or shield.)

Even though I have no experience whatsoever in installing car stereos,
I'm confident that I would be able to do the job. It just might take
a really LONG time. When I'm not familiar with a job, I'm just too
careful to a fault. I'm still considering to have someone else do the
install.

Since this is a tougher job than most installations, do you think the
guys at BB or CC are capable of doing a good job? I assume they would
be able to put in a center speaker and a sub while replacing the
existing ones. My goal is to have 5.1 surround. TIA.

Tony F

I would never allow CC or BB to touch my car, especially with the added
responsibility of the Bose integration, even more so with your goal of
getting 5.1 in there.

Honestly, what you're wanting to do should either be performed by a
competent installer, or if you want to do it you'd need to do a fair amount
of research and it will take you longer than 8 hours. I can't remember what
all the wires looked like when I did my system, so I'm hesitant to recommend
you do it any particular way. I replaced everything very neatly. If and
when I sell the car all the Bose stuff will go back into place rather
nicely, with some modifications.

Tony

--

wrote:

There are adapters that allow you to just change out the HU. However, I
agree that it will probably be better to just swap out the entire Bose
system, especially with what you have in mind. That's what I did in my
2001
Max.

Also check out http://www.maxima.org for more info.

Tony

Brucefan

Sounds like this whole system would be a bitch and a half to put in
without any prior experience. I think I need a compromise, replacing
just the HU, but not the speakers to minimize my installation time.

New idea: As long as the resulting sound won't be worse than the
original Bose system, I would like to be able to play DTS-CDs so I get
good channel separation. This means I would need to get a HU that
decodes DTS signals. I would use an adaptor like the PAC ROEM-NIS2
(is that the best one?) so I can use the existing four channels from
the Bose system. I would need to add a center and sub to get to 5.1
because the Bose system is 4.0 as far as I know. If the rear speakers
aren't fed separate signals, then I'll just stop right here right now.
I'm hoping at least the signals for the 4 channels are truly
separated. Is all of the above possible? TIA.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:05:04 -0800, in rec.audio.car you wrote:

I would never allow CC or BB to touch my car, especially with the added
responsibility of the Bose integration, even more so with your goal of
getting 5.1 in there.

Honestly, what you're wanting to do should either be performed by a
competent installer, or if you want to do it you'd need to do a fair amount
of research and it will take you longer than 8 hours. I can't remember what
all the wires looked like when I did my system, so I'm hesitant to recommend
you do it any particular way. I replaced everything very neatly. If and
when I sell the car all the Bose stuff will go back into place rather
nicely, with some modifications.

Tony

Assaf Shool

I have the same car and basically the only to do it is to replace
everything, including the speakers. They are 1 ohm and have their own amps
and wiring harnesses. I just replaced the speakers with aftermarket ones the
same size, reusing the pod they are installed in. Then I just modified the
wiring harness going into the speaker so the signal input bypasses the amp
and goes straight into the speaker. Theres about 5 wires going into the
speaker amp, two will be for power, one turn on, and two signal. I dont
remember the colour scheme but it was rather obvious which one was what. So
now i had direct connections to the front speakers at the dash, which i ran
wires to the trunk to the amps, though you can hook them up straight to the
new HU if you want to. The back speakers were many times easier to figure
out. This is probably oversimplifying it a bit. As I recall the entire job
was a bitch.

-
My words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS.
"Brucefan" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

I like to replace my current BOSE CD/Tape player console in my 95
Maxima with something better and more versatile. I understand that
this unit is hard to replace, therefore I'd probably go seek
professional help on installation.

My goal is to keep the BOSE speakers as I find them good enough for my
needs. Since I haven't disassemble the unit, I don't know the wiring
layout of the speakers. I assume they're four separate channels
(Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, and Rear Left) because I'm able
to balance and fade to each corner if I wish. My plan is to be able
to play DTS CDs, which would mean I need to add a Center channel and a
subwoofer for 5.1 sound. Are my above assumptions correct? I also
welcome any other suggestions. TIA.

F/S AMR (Audio Media Research) Console - parting out MrMarksMusic General 0 August 6th 04 11:58 PM
F/S AMR (Audio Media Research) Console - parting out MrMarksMusic Audio Opinions 0 August 6th 04 11:57 PM
AES Show Report (LONG!!!!) Mike Rivers Pro Audio 17 October 31st 03 03:57 PM
Audio Advice Johnston West Pro Audio 1 August 12th 03 03:10 AM
FA Neve 5402 All Discrete Audio Console Port Pro Audio 0 August 3rd 03 10:27 PM