Patrick

Default pad on class A pre-amps?

Hi,
I recently purchased a Sytek MPX-4A pre, and it does not have pads on
it. When taking it into a studio (where I'm going to be at a lot in
the upcoming months), it was clipping when running into a Digi002 and
both gain stages (Sytek and Digi002) were at zero. What pad would be
approrpiate to apply on the signal, -10, -20? Would someone recommend
decent manufacturers/online stores? Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Rob Adelman

Patrick, I had the same problem when I was using the Sytek pre. I bought
4 of the Shure in-line pads with the 3 adjustable settings. They solved
the problem perfectly. I think I ended up using them at the -20 setting.

-Rob

Patrick wrote:
Hi,
I recently purchased a Sytek MPX-4A pre, and it does not have pads on
it. When taking it into a studio (where I'm going to be at a lot in
the upcoming months), it was clipping when running into a Digi002 and
both gain stages (Sytek and Digi002) were at zero. What pad would be
approrpiate to apply on the signal, -10, -20? Would someone recommend
decent manufacturers/online stores? Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Scott Dorsey

Patrick wrote:
I recently purchased a Sytek MPX-4A pre, and it does not have pads on
it. When taking it into a studio (where I'm going to be at a lot in
the upcoming months), it was clipping when running into a Digi002 and
both gain stages (Sytek and Digi002) were at zero. What pad would be
approrpiate to apply on the signal, -10, -20? Would someone recommend
decent manufacturers/online stores? Thanks in advance,
Patrick

How much you need depends on how much you are clipping.

Shure, Audio-Technica, TecNec, and probably a bunch of other companies
make some little adjustable pads with switches on them. Most of them go
from 5 dB to 30 dB. Get a handful of them and keep them in the kit.
Everybody should have a bunch of them around and they turn out to be
useful all the time.
Preben Friis

"Jim Williams" wrote in message
om...

Scott, do these pads change the phantom power voltage?

Scott answered that question in:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...ads%22+phantom

/Preben Friis