Posted to rec.audio.high-end
braxus braxus is offline

Default Luxman D-103u/ D-105u/ D-107u CD players

I remember the days when these were available on the market. They were quite
the player in the 80s. In the 90s I could have bought a new one for $600
Canadian, but passed on it. I see these on Ebay now and then. I have the
chance to buy one today for around $500 Canadian. Its had its tubes replaced
in the past 2 years.
How does the sound from these tubed CD players compare with todays new
players, including universal units with SACD and DVD-A playback? Obviously
Im only interested in the CD sound quality, but I've heard SACD playback
from the Sony XE670 I have. Is it still worth it to get one of these players
today, or do modern models surpass it now? I dont see many tubed universal
players today, and if they are- they're very expensive. Something about
looking at glowing tubes through the window is also attractive. I had a
LV-103 years ago and liked its warm sound and turned out the lights to just
look at the tubes glow. Rather cosy feeling. The universal player I was
looking to get was a Denon DVD 3930, so that is the comparison I'd like
referenced if anyone has one. Im aware this is not really a high end unit,
but more mid-fi. But I have heard they produce a nice sound. The dealer
selling the D-105u mentioned he thinks it has a very musical and detailed
sound. Others have commented the 6CG7 give a very "tubey" sound quality.

Im aware the LV 105 series used 6CG7 tubes, but does the D-105u use the same
tube or the 6CG6 tubes which I've seen referenced elsewhere? The 6CG6 tube
I've seen cross referenced to the 6BA6 or 6BD6 tubes.

If this CD player does use the 6CG7 tubes, are the RCA clear tops a good
choice for this player or is there a better choice now? I can order tubes
from the Tube Store located in Canada.

Anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
braxus braxus is offline

I had one of these players lined up to buy, but the seller at Audio Eden in
Ontario Canada would not complete the sale after many attempts. Not exactly
the best customer service Ive ever had. I cancelled buying the item off him
and notified him as such. I get better service at Walmart.

From a few postings from others Ive been told this player is not worth
buying, mostly due to its age and parts wearing out. Build quality is
questionable for such an expensive player.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
braxus braxus is offline

I had one of these players lined up to buy, but the seller at Audio Eden in
Ontario Canada would not complete the sale after many attempts.

Suprising he got back to me after this and was still willing to do the sale.
Hopefully it will go better then last time.

Luxman D-103u/ D-105u/ D-107u CD players braxus Audio Opinions 6 January 24th 07 12:42 AM
older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both? spronk Audio Opinions 4 November 1st 06 11:43 AM
Turntable report Jenn High End Audio 81 May 2nd 05 03:26 AM
Great *sounding* CD recommendation? Robert J Dewar General 139 June 19th 04 05:20 PM
Audio quality of DVD Players Orville Phillips High End Audio 18 March 15th 04 05:53 AM