Posted to rec.audio.tech
rdrnws rdrnws is offline

Default Bose 901 drivers

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

Nikolas

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"rdrnws" wrote in message
I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications

of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

Have you tried Bose?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

rdrnws wrote:

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a
pair of Bose 901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical
info on the specifications of the original ones. What is their
ohm impedence? Can someone recommend replacement models and
types? TIA,

Why do you need new drivers?

Nikolas

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

rdrnws wrote:

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

I'm not aware of anything identical.

Why not get your existing ones reconed ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:32:16 +0200, "rdrnws" wrote:

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

You can get them from Bose.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
rdrnws rdrnws is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
You can get them from Bose.

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted above is
purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production below-average quality
drivers.

Nikolas

Posted to rec.audio.tech

rdrnws wrote:

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
You can get them from Bose.

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so.

And now please tell us what is wrong them!

Peter Larsen

The price quoted above is
purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production below-average quality
drivers.

Nikolas

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "rdrnws" wrote:
"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
.. .
You can get them from Bose.

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted above is
purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production below-average quality
drivers.

Nikolas

The last time I bought one was about 20 years ago. They were $40 ea
from a distributor. $100 might not be too bad, but they are supposed
to find cheapr units from China nowdays.

The 1 inch flat aluminum wire voice coil with about 1 ohm Z and 10 oz. magnet,
is probably imposible to get elewhere. One could use some other units and
rewire the box and retune it using some other impedance rating driver. The
hole mounting pattern is also the 3 hole type. Would probably have to drill
holes, but how do you screw into plastic? The drivers are also rather stiff
suspension wise, designed for ported apps., compared to the air spring of the
series 1 and 2.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

rdrnws wrote:

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/For-BOSE-802-9...QQcmdZViewItem

Any use ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Eeyore wrote:

rdrnws wrote:

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/For-BOSE-802-9...peaker-NEW_W0Q
QitemZ180065503112QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3278QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any use ?

It could replace series I, II, but its not the 4 mounting hole type. They are
not the 8 ohms required though. They would probably fit the new enclosures.

Interesting, the orginal 4 1/2 inch driver is specified demensions between
mounting holes of 4 1/2 inches. The 3 hole mounting would not be 4 1/2 inches.

If this guy is realy serious about replacing drivers, he should buy a used set
thats capable of having the drivers refoamed.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech

GregS wrote:

If this guy is realy serious about replacing drivers, he should
buy a used set thats capable of having the drivers refoamed.

He has still not told us why he wants new drivers. Allow me to suggest
getting that information first prior to trying to solve his problem,
perhaps all he needs is to get the one he has refoamed.

greg

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Peter Larsen wrote:
GregS wrote:

If this guy is realy serious about replacing drivers, he should
buy a used set thats capable of having the drivers refoamed.

He has still not told us why he wants new drivers. Allow me to suggest
getting that information first prior to trying to solve his problem,
perhaps all he needs is to get the one he has refoamed.

greg

Sometimes if dropped, some of the magnets fall off.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

GregS wrote:

In article , Eeyore wrote:

rdrnws wrote:

I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/For-BOSE-802-9...peaker-NEW_W0Q
QitemZ180065503112QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3278QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any use ?

It could replace series I, II, but its not the 4 mounting hole type. They are
not the 8 ohms required though. They would probably fit the new enclosures.

Interesting, the orginal 4 1/2 inch driver is specified demensions between
mounting holes of 4 1/2 inches. The 3 hole mounting would not be 4 1/2 inches.

If this guy is realy serious about replacing drivers, he should buy a used set
thats capable of having the drivers refoamed.

I found the foams on ebay too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

rdrnws wrote:
"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
You can get them from Bose.

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted
above is purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production
below-average quality drivers.

We all know that. But you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
$40 in 1985 would be $70 now.

I think you better check the official inflation figures and re-do your
calculations.
Or at least tell us how the hell you came up with that figure?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Geoff" wrote in message
At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted
above is purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production
below-average quality drivers.

We all know that. But you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Absolutely, the real question though is if he knew that, why the hell did he
buy them in the first place?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message

$40 in 1985 would be $70 now.

I think you better check the official inflation figures and re-do your
calculations.
Or at least tell us how the hell you came up with that figure?

I gather US inflation has been less than in Europe but it still sounds a little
optimistic to me. I'd guess more like $90-100 perhaps.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted
above is purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production
below-average quality drivers.

We all know that. But you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Absolutely, the real question though is if he knew that, why the hell did he
buy them in the first place?

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
$40 in 1985 would be $70 now.

I think you better check the official inflation figures and re-do your
calculations.
Or at least tell us how the hell you came up with that figure?

I gather US inflation has been less than in Europe but it still sounds a

little
optimistic to me. I'd guess more like $90-100 perhaps.

And that would still be optimistic for any usual measure of inflation IMO.
I can't see the point in someone pulling such figures from their arse
though, especially when writing them as if they are fact.
(which mercifully you haven't done at least)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted
above is purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production
below-average quality drivers.

We all know that. But you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Absolutely, the real question though is if he knew that, why the hell

did he
buy them in the first place?

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose !

Yes, but what still puzzles me is that the OP probably paid a silly figure
for the speakers in the fist place, then worries that the cost of a
replacement driver is also overpriced considering the quality. (or lack
thereof)
It is my experience that overpriced goods naturally have overpriced spare
parts too.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted
above is purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production
below-average quality drivers.

We all know that. But you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Absolutely, the real question though is if he knew that, why the hell
did he buy them in the first place?

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose !

Yes, but what still puzzles me is that the OP probably paid a silly figure
for the speakers in the fist place, then worries that the cost of a
replacement driver is also overpriced considering the quality. (or lack
thereof)
It is my experience that overpriced goods naturally have overpriced spare
parts too.

I don't have that much experience of overpriced *anything* but I do note that
certain brands of PC that sell on their market image such as Compaq used to and
HP and even Dell now also tend to have some non-standard and overpriced service
parts.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
$40 in 1985 would be $70 now.

I think you better check the official inflation figures and re-do your
calculations.
Or at least tell us how the hell you came up with that figure?

MrT.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joe Sterling Joe Sterling is offline

Eeyore wrote:
"Mr.T" wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message

At $100 each it is just not practical to do so. The price quoted
above is purely marketing. The oem drivers are mass-production
below-average quality drivers.

We all know that. But you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Absolutely, the real question though is if he knew that, why the hell did he
buy them in the first place?

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose !

Graham

Hi Bose bashers. Can't answer a simple question without a putdown, eh?

Well, let me weigh in on why someone might buy Bose. I'll start by
stipulating that they are inferior in all the ways the cognescenti
claim, OK?

First off, Bose has great marketing. They know how to sell their
products.

Second, their products are easy to use. You don't need to be a charter
subscriber to The Absolute Sound to operate their systems.

Third, their products are attractive and sleek.

And fourth, their customer service is great. I have a personal example
of that. I have a pretty high-end system in my house that cost over
$20K and I bought it from a high-end audio store filled with experts
who probably despise Bose as much as you do. And when I had problems
with one of the components, what did I get? Snotty, grudging service
and arguments about things being "out of warranty", as well as
finger-pointing between the manufacturer of the amp and the preamp.

On the other hand, when the pin on the rca cable for my 2-year-old Bose
headphones got bent (by me), I walked into a nearby Bose store and they
just gave me a free replacement cable. With a big smile. No questions
asked. Bose makes their customers feel appreciated and valued.

The above are among the reasons Bose is so successful. And they
deserve their success.

Joe

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Joe Sterling wrote:

On the other hand, when the pin on the rca cable for my 2-year-old
Bose headphones got bent (by me), I walked into a nearby Bose store
and they just gave me a free replacement cable. With a big smile.
No questions asked. Bose makes their customers feel appreciated and
valued.

When charging $100 for a $5 driver, they can afford to give away an
occasional cable.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Mr.T"

MrT@home wrote:
$40 in 1985 would be $70 now.

I think you better check the official inflation figures and re-do your
calculations.
Or at least tell us how the hell you came up with that figure?

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

OK, I apologise, it seems you didn't pull that figure from your backside.
I'm still not sure how meaningful it is though since many such statistics
are highly manipulated to suit one political agenda or another.

Certainly most expenses have more than doubled in most parts of the world in
the last twenty one years, with electrical consumer goods being an obvious
exception.
I sure would love to buy a house for less than double that of twenty years
ago though :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Joe Sterling" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, let me weigh in on why someone might buy Bose. I'll start by
stipulating that they are inferior in all the ways the cognescenti
claim, OK?

So far so good. :-)

First off, Bose has great marketing. They know how to sell their
products.

Yep.

Second, their products are easy to use. You don't need to be a charter
subscriber to The Absolute Sound to operate their systems.

The 901's actually require a bit more knowledge to position them than your
average speaker.

Third, their products are attractive and sleek.

A matter of opinion I guess.

And fourth, their customer service is great.

snip
On the other hand, when the pin on the rca cable for my 2-year-old Bose
headphones got bent (by me), I walked into a nearby Bose store and they
just gave me a free replacement cable. With a big smile. No questions
asked. Bose makes their customers feel appreciated and valued.

The above are among the reasons Bose is so successful. And they
deserve their success.

Which obviously doesn't explain why you are not simply getting new drivers
from Bose then?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Geoff wrote:
Joe Sterling wrote:

On the other hand, when the pin on the rca cable for my 2-year-old
Bose headphones got bent (by me), I walked into a nearby Bose store
and they just gave me a free replacement cable. With a big smile.
No questions asked. Bose makes their customers feel appreciated and
valued.

When charging $100 for a $5 driver, they can afford to give away an
occasional cable.

geoff

Perhaps so. But I spent $20K on the high-end stuff and I had to argue
about covering a $100 repair.

Joe

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

Joe Sterling wrote:
When charging $100 for a $5 driver, they can afford to give away an
occasional cable.

geoff

Perhaps so. But I spent $20K on the high-end stuff and I had to argue
about covering a $100 repair.

It's NOT "a $100 repair," it's an $1800 repair if they suffer
from typical foam rot.

So, let's look at it from that point: $1800 for maybe $200
worth of drivers, giving them the benefit of doubt. Nine-to-
one markup: we all should be so lucky.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Joe Sterling wrote:

On the other hand, when the pin on the rca cable for my 2-year-old Bose
headphones got bent (by me), I walked into a nearby Bose store and they
just gave me a free replacement cable.

Of course they can do that by selling the stuff for ten times what it's worth in the
first place.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Joe Sterling" wrote in message
ps.com...
My problem was a fuse in a preamp that cost less than $100 to repair.
But after spending $20K, I still got a hassle. Bose customers don't
experience that.

Neither would anyone who spent $20k at an ethical dealer. Sure they are in
short supply these days, but you don't have to buy Bose to find one.
Nor does buying Bose guarantee one I suspect.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
On the other hand, when the pin on the rca cable for my 2-year-old Bose
headphones got bent (by me), I walked into a nearby Bose store and they
just gave me a free replacement cable.

Of course they can do that by selling the stuff for ten times what it's

worth in the
first place.

What's FAR more impressive is when you find a company prepared to properly
support their product *without* charging 1000% mark-ups in the fist place.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edwin Hurwitz Edwin Hurwitz is offline

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:

In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article , "Mr.T"
MrT@home
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
$40 in 1985 would be $70 now.

I think you better check the official inflation figures and re-do your
calculations.
Or at least tell us how the hell you came up with that figure?

MrT.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Try plugging 1965 into the first year!

Pretty cool, but obviously not dealing all segments of the economy.
My parents bought the house I grew up in in 1963 for $17k. According to
that calculator, it is now worth $103,836.38. In reality, the market
value is probably a lot closer to $750k or more (a 3 story Victorian in
Newton Center, MA).
The sad thing is that in 1963, it was affordable on the salary of a
college art professor. Now, even a condo in Jamaica Plain is out of
reach.

Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rayvan Rayvan is offline

rdrnws wrote:
I have been trying to source replacement drivers (new) for a pair of Bose
901 series 4. I would appreciate any technical info on the specifications of
the original ones. What is their ohm impedence? Can someone recommend
replacement models and types? TIA,

Nikolas

If it's foam rot, you can buy new foam kits.

I've re-foamed an older pair of JBL speakers and they turned out great.
The kit cost about 20 bux for the two woofers and it took only a couple
of hours. For 901s You'll be busy for a while! :-)
--
Rayvan