Antani

Default burning HDCD

Hi, I just bought a NAD c541i, including HDCD chip. I'd like to know how can
I burn an HDCD. Do I have to use normal cd?

Thank a lot

Antani
Charles Tomaras

"Antani" wrote in message
Hi, I just bought a NAD c541i, including HDCD chip. I'd like to know how
can
I burn an HDCD. Do I have to use normal cd?

http://www.hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/index.html

Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

Microsoft purchased Pacific Microsonics and HDCD technology a few years back
now and I would imagine that a portion of that technology has trickled into
the WM codecs and encoders but I can't say for sure. I have not heard much
new about HDCD in the recent past.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Steven Sullivan

Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Antani" wrote in message
Hi, I just bought a NAD c541i, including HDCD chip. I'd like to know how
can
I burn an HDCD. Do I have to use normal cd?

http://www.hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/index.html

Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

The NAD is an HDCD-ready CD player. But he doesn't need it to burn HDCDs,
nor could he use it to burn one. He can just use a standard computer drive.
Ripping an HDCD to hard disc as a set of uncompressed
..wav file will preserve the encoding. A CDR burned from such .wavs will also be
HDCD encoded.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --

TChelvam

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message ...
"Antani" wrote in message
Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not

aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

I did burn one HDCD using NERO. The copy when played using Window
media Player 9, it showed HDCD playback. I doubt this is accurate but
I just do not why it showed HDCD playback. I do not have a HDCD player
for verifying. Anyway the sound was horrible unlike the original. I
think it cheaper to buy your second CD rather than investing in High
End burner.
Charles Tomaras

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Antani" wrote in message
Hi, I just bought a NAD c541i, including HDCD chip. I'd like to know
how
can
I burn an HDCD. Do I have to use normal cd?

http://www.hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/index.html

Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

The NAD is an HDCD-ready CD player. But he doesn't need it to burn HDCDs,
nor could he use it to burn one. He can just use a standard computer
drive.
Ripping an HDCD to hard disc as a set of uncompressed
.wav file will preserve the encoding. A CDR burned from such .wavs will
also be
HDCD encoded.

Where does one find computer software to encode HDCD? I'd like a link if you
know of something or some plug-in. I was not aware that anything was
available.

Steven Sullivan

"Antani" wrote in message
Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not

aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

I did burn one HDCD using NERO. The copy when played using Window
media Player 9, it showed HDCD playback. I doubt this is accurate but
I just do not why it showed HDCD playback.

? It showed HDCD playback because it was HDCD encoded.
Media Playuer 9 can detect and decode HDCD. Microsoft
bought the HDCD process some years ago; Media PLayer is about
the only place it's likely to survive.

Like I said, an HDCD copied digitally, will retain the HDCD encoding.

I do not have a HDCD player
for verifying. Anyway the sound was horrible unlike the original. I
think it cheaper to buy your second CD rather than investing in High
End burner.

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
If you used Nero I assume you did the ripping/burning on a
computer disc CDRW drive, with Nero as the ripping/burning
software. Your copy should sound identical to the original.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Steven Sullivan

Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Antani" wrote in message
[...]

There are none that I know of. You can't encode something in HDCD.
You can only preserve and copy the HDCD encoding of something that's already HDCD.
(You can also destroy the encoding, by converting the .wav to mp3 or
other lossy compressed format).

Pretty much *ANY* CDRW drive and any disc ripping/burnign software that
saves the rip as .wav, will preserve the HDCD encoding of an HDCD disc.
(I presume a disc image will also work, though I haven't tried that).

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Charles Tomaras

"Antani" wrote in message
Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not

aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

I did burn one HDCD using NERO. The copy when played using Window
media Player 9, it showed HDCD playback. I doubt this is accurate but
I just do not why it showed HDCD playback. I do not have a HDCD player
for verifying. Anyway the sound was horrible unlike the original. I
think it cheaper to buy your second CD rather than investing in High
End burner.

So I think you are saying that you "copied" an existing HDCD disc not that
you HDCD encoded existing 20 or 24 bit wav files. As far as I know there
aren't any mainstream computer encoding applications that do the HDCD
processing/encoding.

Charles Tomaras

codifus

Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Antani" wrote in message

Hi, I just bought a NAD c541i, including HDCD chip. I'd like to know how
can
I burn an HDCD. Do I have to use normal cd?

http://www.hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/index.html

Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

Microsoft purchased Pacific Microsonics and HDCD technology a few years back
now and I would imagine that a portion of that technology has trickled into
the WM codecs and encoders but I can't say for sure. I have not heard much
new about HDCD in the recent past.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Why? HDCD is a dead format walking. Why not DVD audio?

CD

Charles Tomaras

"codifus" wrote in message
Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Antani" wrote in message

Hi, I just bought a NAD c541i, including HDCD chip. I'd like to know how
can
I burn an HDCD. Do I have to use normal cd?

http://www.hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/index.html

Standalone HDCD encoders are expensive little beasts and I'm not aware of
any computer software that is available to encode.

Microsoft purchased Pacific Microsonics and HDCD technology a few years
back now and I would imagine that a portion of that technology has
trickled into the WM codecs and encoders but I can't say for sure. I have
not heard much new about HDCD in the recent past.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Why? HDCD is a dead format walking. Why not DVD audio?

CD

Exactly my feelings. I imagine Microsoft purchased Pacific Microsonics for
the code base and mind power they had. It certainly was not to actively push
HDCD.

TChelvam

Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:bBZxc.76626$Ly.57011@attbi_s01...

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
If you used Nero I assume you did the ripping/burning on a
computer disc CDRW drive, with Nero as the ripping/burning
software. Your copy should sound identical to the original.

Not so. It depends how good is your writer. Compared the spcetrogram
in Nero wave editor and the difference is obvious. though in my PC
both original and copy sounded the same. But I don't expect much out
of a $30 CD writer.

Charles Tomaras

"TChelvam" wrote in message
Steven Sullivan wrote in message

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
If you used Nero I assume you did the ripping/burning on a
computer disc CDRW drive, with Nero as the ripping/burning
software. Your copy should sound identical to the original.

Not so. It depends how good is your writer. Compared the spcetrogram
in Nero wave editor and the difference is obvious. though in my PC
both original and copy sounded the same. But I don't expect much out
of a $30 CD writer.

If you had gone to the expense to use the BLACK CD blanks you would have
been far happier!

Steven Sullivan

TChelvam wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:bBZxc.76626$Ly.57011@attbi_s01...

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
If you used Nero I assume you did the ripping/burning on a
computer disc CDRW drive, with Nero as the ripping/burning
software. Your copy should sound identical to the original.

Not so. It depends how good is your writer.

Your copy *should* sound identical to the original. If it doesn't,
there's something deficient about your setup.

Bit-perfect duplication of CD tracks is pretty easy to achieve these days.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Chelvam

Your copy *should* sound identical to the original. If it doesn't,
there's something deficient about your setup.

Bit-perfect duplication of CD tracks is pretty easy to achieve these days.

No again. Apparently, everything is different, your CDR, whether black or
blue and etc. so my golden ears was right when something was not quite
right.

Read this interesting article by John Vestman -engineer/producer/studio
owner for 27 years.

http://www.johnvestman.com/digital_myth.htm

Judge for yourself...

Ban

Chelvam wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Your copy *should* sound identical to the original. If it doesn't,
there's something deficient about your setup.

Bit-perfect duplication of CD tracks is pretty easy to achieve these
days.

No again. Apparently, everything is different, your CDR, whether
black or blue and etc. so my golden ears was right when something was
not quite right.

Read this interesting article by John Vestman
-engineer/producer/studio owner for 27 years.

http://www.johnvestman.com/digital_myth.htm

Judge for yourself...

I tried to judge by myself and examined the extracted wave files with
CoolEditPro2000:
1.) I ripped with EAC and the "speed" setting the 7th track from the
original CD. It was read at an average of 27.6 times
2.) I ripped now the same track with the "exact" setting from the original
CD. The ripping rate was 7.4 times.
3.) I had copied the CD to CDR (black dye) with nero in the "copy disk" mode
some days ago. Ripped again "exact" with EAC. The speed was 5.8 times.

Now I opened version1.) and copied it into the clipboard. Then I went to
version 2.) and with Edit\mix paste\ and invert I subtracted both versions.
Both were absolutely identical, not a single bit was different. The length
of this piece was around 12.5 Mio samples.
Then I tried the same with version 3.), but I got even bigger volume than
the original. Examining both files I found them to have a slightly different
length 12855444 vs. 12767244 samples. I zoomed into the beginning and found
the first value different from zero to be sample 9378 vs. 9481.
So I selected only from this value with a length of 10000000 samples and
subtracted again:
Absolutely identical, not a single sample was different. What differed was
the number of 0-samples at the beginning and end.

So the time indication can be a little off, but the CDR was apparently
identical, at least for this track. There cannot simply be any different
sounding dye or whatever unless the batch is faulty.

Whatever urban myth is spread to use only this or that brand, as long as the
copy is identical, as was mine they will sound the same. This website is a
typical example of invented crap.
I suggest anyone doubting my survey to execute it oneself and see. I can be
helpful if you have problems operating the editing software, drop me an
email.

ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Steven Sullivan

Chelvam wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Your copy *should* sound identical to the original. If it doesn't,
there's something deficient about your setup.

Bit-perfect duplication of CD tracks is pretty easy to achieve these days.

No again.

Don't know what to tell you except -- I can generate verifiably
bit-perfect copies of digital tracks, using EAC, in a matter of minutes.

Apparently, everything is different, your CDR, whether black or
blue and etc. so my golden ears was right when something was not quite
right.

LLike many claims in audiophilia, it may be 'apparent' but it has precious little
in the way of objective verification.

Read this interesting article by John Vestman -engineer/producer/studio
owner for 27 years.

http://www.johnvestman.com/digital_myth.htm

Judge for yourself...

Being am engineer/prodice/studio owner has never, alas, prevented anyone
from making unsubstantiated claims about audio, or to have dearly-held
personal superstitions.
Typically, Mr. Vestman hasn't provided anything except purely anecdotal
evidence for his claims. His refutaiton of the 'placebo' effec tis
laughable. He does, at least, acknowledge that his claims
are 'controversial'.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

TChelvam

Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:splAc.64833$0y.23491@attbi_s03...
Chelvam wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Your copy *should* sound identical to the original. If it doesn't,
there's something deficient about your setup.

Bit-perfect duplication of CD tracks is pretty easy to achieve these days.

No again.

Don't know what to tell you except -- I can generate verifiably
bit-perfect copies of digital tracks, using EAC, in a matter of minutes.

Yes, agreed but to say the quality of writer is immaterial is bit
unrealistic. Even the Nero knowledge base/ manuals recommend good
writer for copying audio CD.

I will be getting a better writer soon and I can tell you the results.
If you are right I accept that without any qualm/

TChelvam

Chelvam wrote:

I suggest anyone doubting my survey to execute it oneself and see. I can be
helpful if you have problems operating the editing software, drop me an
email.

Maybe the urban myth is more than what I bargain for to support my
earlier assertation that to make a perfect copy you need a good
hardware (CD writer).

On the color of CDR, I know nothing about it since I have only burned
3 audio CD and did not like the quality.

I find it bit hard to believe that a $200 CD writer and $30 are the
same. But I agree with you that you can make perfect copies.

Cheers.

Steven Sullivan

Chelvam wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Your copy *should* sound identical to the original. If it doesn't,
there's something deficient about your setup.

Bit-perfect duplication of CD tracks is pretty easy to achieve these days.

No again.

Don't know what to tell you except -- I can generate verifiably
bit-perfect copies of digital tracks, using EAC, in a matter of minutes.

Yes, agreed but to say the quality of writer is immaterial is bit
unrealistic. Even the Nero knowledge base/ manuals recommend good
writer for copying audio CD.

I never said the quality of the CD writer was immaterial. I did say it
was a trivial matter to make bit-perfect copies these days. I also soaid
that if your copies sounded different from your originals, then there was
something awry with your CD burning setup.

I will be getting a better writer soon and I can tell you the results.
If you are right I accept that without any qualm/

Have you determined that your writer is, in fact, at fault?

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

chung

Chelvam wrote:

I suggest anyone doubting my survey to execute it oneself and see. I can be
helpful if you have problems operating the editing software, drop me an
email.

Maybe the urban myth is more than what I bargain for to support my
earlier assertation that to make a perfect copy you need a good
hardware (CD writer).

On the color of CDR, I know nothing about it since I have only burned
3 audio CD and did not like the quality.

I find it bit hard to believe that a $200 CD writer and $30 are the
same.

That $30 drive might have cost $200 two years ago.

Ban

chung wrote:

That $30 drive might have cost $200 two years ago.

I used an Aopen CRW5232 burner costing 32Euros now. I bought it on Xmas for
45Euros. Great drive lets you grab audio-cds at 27times average without the
slightest error and all the CDRs I burn 52 times, just 150seconds for a
copy.
I made a few more checks in the meantime with the same results: Could not
find a single bit error up to now. I also checked disks burnt on my other 2
drives and they are also identical. So the technology seemingly has pretty
much arrived at perfection.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Chelvam

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

I never said the quality of the CD writer was immaterial. I did say it
was a trivial matter to make bit-perfect copies these days. I also soaid
that if your copies sounded different from your originals, then there was
something awry with your CD burning setup.

I will be getting a better writer soon and I can tell you the results.
If you are right I accept that without any qualm/

Have you determined that your writer is, in fact, at fault?

Writing this with my tail between my legs.

1. Apparently my Cd Burner is one of the popular choice.
2. After some tips from other forum, I reduced the write speed to the
lowest.
3. took me 16 minutes to burn one 59 minutes CD.
4. Previously, it took me about 4 minutes.
5. It sounded great that I can't tell the different between the original and
copy.

chung

Chelvam wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

I never said the quality of the CD writer was immaterial. I did say it
was a trivial matter to make bit-perfect copies these days. I also soaid
that if your copies sounded different from your originals, then there was
something awry with your CD burning setup.

I will be getting a better writer soon and I can tell you the results.
If you are right I accept that without any qualm/

Have you determined that your writer is, in fact, at fault?

Writing this with my tail between my legs.

1. Apparently my Cd Burner is one of the popular choice.
2. After some tips from other forum, I reduced the write speed to the
lowest.
3. took me 16 minutes to burn one 59 minutes CD.
4. Previously, it took me about 4 minutes.

That has more to do with the CD blank than the player, I think. Some
older blank CD-R's are optimized for slow-speed writing, while the new
blanks are optimized for high-speed writing.

5. It sounded great that I can't tell the different between the original and
copy.

Steven Sullivan

Chelvam wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

I never said the quality of the CD writer was immaterial. I did say it
was a trivial matter to make bit-perfect copies these days. I also soaid
that if your copies sounded different from your originals, then there was
something awry with your CD burning setup.

I will be getting a better writer soon and I can tell you the results.
If you are right I accept that without any qualm/

Have you determined that your writer is, in fact, at fault?

Writing this with my tail between my legs.

1. Apparently my Cd Burner is one of the popular choice.

What burner is this?

2. After some tips from other forum, I reduced the

write speed to the
lowest.
3. took me 16 minutes to burn one 59 minutes CD.

That's pretty slow...and shouldn't be necessary.

4. Previously, it took me about 4 minutes.

15X is prett good but 40X is easily doable these days.

5. It sounded great that I can't tell the different between the original and
copy.

If I were you, I'd checkto ensure that other parameters of your computer
setup were optimized. You shouldn't have to burn at ~4x to get perfect
copies unless your system is rather outdated.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy
Charles Tomaras

"TChelvam" wrote in message I find it bit hard to
believe that a $200 CD writer and $30 are the
same. But I agree with you that you can make perfect copies.

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Bob Marcus

Charles Tomaras wrote:

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't trained your taste buds.

2) Your butter knife doesn't have enough resolution.

bob

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

Charles Tomaras

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Charles Tomaras wrote:

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't trained your taste buds.

2) Your butter knife doesn't have enough resolution.

That's pure garbage Bob. I took three different butter knives down to the
Seattle Culinary Institute and performed blindfold testing with them and not
only could they not differentiate between them, one of the master chefs
actually chose the tin alloy knife over sterling silver. (I must preface
these results slightly because the testing was flawed by the fact that we
ran out of whole grain bread half way through and had to switch to a Smokey
Russian Rye)

chung

Bob Marcus wrote:
Charles Tomaras wrote:

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't trained your taste buds.

2) Your butter knife doesn't have enough resolution.

bob

3rd possibility: Test was was not done in an open-ended, evaluative mode

Steven Sullivan

Charles Tomaras wrote:

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't trained your taste buds.

2) Your butter knife doesn't have enough resolution.

That's pure garbage Bob. I took three different butter knives down to the
Seattle Culinary Institute and performed blindfold testing with them and not
only could they not differentiate between them, one of the master chefs
actually chose the tin alloy knife over sterling silver. (I must preface
these results slightly because the testing was flawed by the fact that we
ran out of whole grain bread half way through and had to switch to a Smokey
Russian Rye)

THe test is invalid. You haven't proved that a blindfold test doesn't
interfere with the existential purity of the sterling silver experience.

Nor have you told us whether even your wife can tell the difference.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Bromo

On 6/20/04 3:28 PM, in article %zlBc.65702$Hg2.8121@attbi_s04, "chung"
wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:
Charles Tomaras wrote:

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't trained your taste buds.

2) Your butter knife doesn't have enough resolution.

bob

3rd possibility: Test was was not done in an open-ended, evaluative mode

4th possibility: No one doing the test likes toast! ;-P
Chelvam

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message

I've got a $200 toaster oven and a $20 dual slice toaster and nobody can
taste a difference in the toast.

Nobody means only you?. you need independant participants.

Firstly, toasts are directional. You need to start from the side that popped
out first. Otherwise, you getting it wrong.

Also, the tougue need to be cleaned to have better contact between the toast
and tongue.

Charles Tomaras

"S888Wheel" wrote in message news:2hpBc.151404 I guess
some folks think toasters and toaster ovens actually toast bread
exactly the same way. If you believe that all you really need to be a
gourmet
cook is a microwave oven. Cooked food is cooked food.

The truth be told...the $20 toaster does a better job of making toast than
the $200 toaster oven.

TChelvam

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message ...
"S888Wheel" wrote in message news:2hpBc.151404 I guess
some folks think toasters and toaster ovens actually toast bread
exactly the same way. If you believe that all you really need to be a
gourmet
cook is a microwave oven. Cooked food is cooked food.

The truth be told...the $20 toaster does a better job of making toast than
the $200 toaster oven.

So can tell the difference or not? You are contradicting yourself.

Frequency Responce HDCD vs SACD vs DVDA Orville Phillips High End Audio 10 May 13th 04 03:06 AM
Pioneer DV-563A HDCD compatibility Tcheb High End Audio 6 November 7th 03 07:27 PM
So. Cal Burning ScottW Audio Opinions 72 November 1st 03 06:52 PM
HDCD: necessary or not? Wigbert Audio Opinions 3 October 11th 03 06:46 PM
HDCD: necessary or not? Wigbert General 1 October 6th 03 10:36 PM