Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Default iPod, good sound possible?

Can anyone direct me to a basic discussion or explanation of what music
is available on downloaded files, such as iTunes, and whether there are
any high-rez portable music systems conveniently workable that include a
variety of classics and pop music, etc. I'm a complete novice relative
to this technology. - I had understood that the audio quality of the
typical iPod (or other similar systems) wasn't very good, so I haven't
kept up with them at all. Actually, I have been impressed with the sound
of some of the high-end walkmans and CD players. - How do the iPods
compare with them.

1. - I have seen some articles about high-rez reproduction becoming
available on some systems, using substantially more memory but providing
decent sound. Are such systems commercially available, and if so, where?
Also, can you get a good selection of music for them?

2. As to downloading music files, are the selections of music largely
limited to current pop or rock music, or are older classics available?
For example, I usually listen to classical, some pops, and some Stones
music. Could I select a download that included Ruby Tuesday,
Satisfaction, Start Me up, etc.? How about Sinatra music, such as All
the Way, Witchcraft, New York, New York, or music of Dean Martin, etc.
What about Peter, Paul & Mary, the Kingston Trio, etc. Or, what if I
wanted to listen to Brahms' Second Piano Concerto, or Beethoven's
Seventh Symphony, etc.? - How many "songs" would that be? The reason I
ask is that I don't think my tastes correspond with the majority of
those buying iPods and the like, so I'm wondering whether I would be
able to download much of the music I actually like. - Are classics, or
old standards such as the above, available, or are they only available
at extra cost?

Any information will be appreciated, but please remember that I'm a
complete novice in this area. - If you're going to throw acronyms at me,
please provide a translation.

Thanks,
Jim Cate
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

JimC wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a basic discussion or explanation of what music
is available on downloaded files, such as iTunes, and whether there are
any high-rez portable music systems conveniently workable that include a
variety of classics and pop music, etc. I'm a complete novice relative
to this technology. - I had understood that the audio quality of the
typical iPod (or other similar systems) wasn't very good, so I haven't
kept up with them at all. Actually, I have been impressed with the sound
of some of the high-end walkmans and CD players. - How do the iPods
compare with them.

Basically, the sound quality of your iPod is going to depend on 2
factors:

1) the quality of your earbuds/headphones, and

2) the compression rate you're using for your music.

If you rip music from your CDs, you can set the compression rate, so
you can experiment with the best compromise between file size and sound
quality. (I generally use 192kbps AAC.)

If you download from the iTunes Music Store, what you get is 128kbps
AAC.(AAC is the compression codec they use. It's similar to, but
slightly better than, MP3.) It's not bad, but it's not "near-CD
quality" either. Everybody has his own threshold. Try it and see.

If you use a PC, you can download from other sites. Rhapsody, I think,
downloads 192kbps AAC. I don't know whether you can put that on an
iPod, however. There's a company called MusicGiants, which offers
full-resolution (i.e., CD-quality) downloads. I suspect the selection
is quite limited, but you could definitely get them on an iPod one way
or another.

Check out MusicGiants: www.musicgiants.com.

[...]

Believe it or not, classical's market share at the iTunes music store
is actually higher than its share of the broader market. This despite
the fact that searching for classical music there is a pain. The
selection is surprisingly expansive. I think pricing is generally 99
cents a movement, or $9.99 for a full CD, though I haven't shopped
there much so trust someone else before you trust me. My guess is that
there will be plenty of every artist/genre you mentioned. But you can
download the iTunes software for free from Apple, and check it out
yourself.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

JimC wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a basic discussion or explanation of what music
is available on downloaded files, such as iTunes, and whether there are
any high-rez portable music systems conveniently workable that include a
variety of classics and pop music, etc. I'm a complete novice relative
to this technology. - I had understood that the audio quality of the
typical iPod (or other similar systems) wasn't very good, so I haven't
kept up with them at all.

I take it you do not own an iPod or any other music player? You should
investigate a bit: Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itunes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

and so forth; you will soon get the idea.

Be aware that most (if not all) of these files will be encumbered by some or
another form of Digital Rights Management scheme. DRM is a way the music
companies make sure that you do not cheat them. The last thing you want is
for the music industry to become suspicious of your motives, or have them
take an interest in your activities. If this is not all done correctly,
one day day you could find men knocking at your door, and then you will
have to make a very long trip.

Once you accept a particular DRM license, and once you pay a fee, you'll be
able to download your songs and use them in whatever way the copyright
holder thinks is in your best interest.

As far as devices go, the iPod is typically considered the most cool and
trendy of the lot. A newer device (known simply as Zune) is also
available, however Zune is generally thought of as less cool, and certainly
less trendy...unless you like brown, or things that squirt, or both; or are
intrigued by fat men throwing chairs dancing to the sound of "Developers,
Developers, Developers..."

On the other hand, when you buy Zune you are helping to stamp out crime. It
has been reported by Universal Music Group that these devices are simply
repositories for stolen music. Therefore, the manufacturer of Zune
(Microsoft) has graciously consented to pay $1.00 to UMG for each Zune
sold. This manufacturer does not want to be associated with unethical
people, or questionable business practices. After all, they have a
reputation to maintain.

If you use a Mac, the Apple product (iTunes) is probably the best deal. If
you use a Windows PC, the Apple product is also probably the best deal. If
you use a Linux PC, there is no deal. Linux users must subscribe to
another service, of which there are several out there. Thus, before you
decide on a player you must consider your options while keeping your
existing hardware and software in mind.

Fidelity? Again, you must consider your hardware. What gear are you going
to be listening to your music on, and where? Portable music is usually
meant to be listened to on portable players. If you mostly listen to your
iPod with cheaper headphones while exercising on your treadmill, then you
will not mind the quality. If you listen to your downloaded mp3s burned to
a CD and played through a Benchmark DAC feeding Stax electrostatic
headphones while concentrating on the recorded musical nuances, it might be
a problem. So you must decide what you are trying to do, and what your aim
is in all of this.

Generally speaking, each song costs 99 cents, or thereabouts. With
classical, each section (or movement) is considered a song. Thus, I guess,
a symphony will set you back about 4 dollars. I have no idea how something
like a Wagner opera is priced, or if it is even available at all.

mp
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

JimC wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a basic discussion or explanation of what music
is available on downloaded files, such as iTunes, and whether there are
any high-rez portable music systems conveniently workable that include a
variety of classics and pop music, etc. I'm a complete novice relative
to this technology. - I had understood that the audio quality of the
typical iPod (or other similar systems) wasn't very good, so I haven't
kept up with them at all. Actually, I have been impressed with the sound
of some of the high-end walkmans and CD players. - How do the iPods
compare with them.

iPod's have excellent DAC's and compare favorably with the best portable
CD players. They are much better than Walkmans that use casettes. A
couple of years ago, Stereophile tested the iPods of that generation,
and the results were excellent. The newest iPods have fixed some
shortcomings of the older generations, so make sure you buy the latest.

Quality of sound from iPod's is therefore dependent on the source
material: if you use 48Kbps mp3's, the best DACs in the world are not
going to give you CD quality sound. iPod's can play uncompressed sound
files, so those will sound identical to the CD's they are ripped from.

The compressed files sound very good if the bit rate is kept high. It's
very difficult, for example, to tell 320 Kbps mp3's or AAC's from the
original. AAC (or mp4) is a format that is supported by Apple products
only. If you want compatibility, use the mp3 format. wma is a format
that is developed by Microsoft, and will not play natively on iPod's.

1. - I have seen some articles about high-rez reproduction becoming
available on some systems, using substantially more memory but providing
decent sound. Are such systems commercially available, and if so, where?
Also, can you get a good selection of music for them?

Well, SACD's and DVD-A's are higher resolution formats, meaning they use
higher sample rates and/or higher bit depths. You have a decent
selection of music in these formats, if you are willing to buy online.

[...]

iTunes has an excellent selection; unfortunately they use a relatively
low bit rate: 128 kbps. You can use your own CD's as the source for
compressed music, and it takes very little time to rip a whole CD,
perhaps at most 10 minutes. Some other music download services provide
higher bit rates.

You can download individual tracks as well as whole albums. But I
recommend that you start with your own music collection.

Any information will be appreciated, but please remember that I'm a
complete novice in this area. - If you're going to throw acronyms at me,
please provide a translation.

Thanks,
Jim Cate

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] codifus@optonline.net is offline

JimC wrote:
Edit

Actually, I have been impressed with the sound
of some of the high-end walkmans and CD players. - How do the iPods
compare with them.
Thanks,
Jim Cate

The iPod will completely blow away any walkman and match or excel most
any portable CD player in sound quality, and absolutely trounce them
both in terms of convenience and portability. Upgrade the barely
adequete headphones that came with the iPod to some really good but
inexpensive ones like the Koss Portapro or SennHeiser PX100 or Grado
SR 60. Upgraded headphones really let the iPod shine. iPods and iTunes
allows the audiphile to save their music as WAV, AIFF, or better yet,
Apple Lossless. These formats do not de-grade the sound at all, and
Apple Lossless save some disk space, too. Usually around 50%.

I have a 2 GB Nano with Koss Portapros and most of my music is in
iTunes in Apple Lossless with some AAC. If you search the groups you
can find my thread discussing making a high quality iTunes server.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Thanks. I happen to be an attorney with an intellectual property
specialty, and I have no interest in violating or skirting around
anyone's copyrights. Regarding the intended use, I may listen to music
while jogging or walking, but I would probably want to get fairly good
headphones, though still small enough for portability. - Shure ear pods,
perhaps. (I have Sennheiser 580 headphones. Perhaps I could also connect
the iPod to a preamp or headphone amp and listen through the Sennheisers.)

Concerning the process of finding and downloading music of interest,
I'm assuming I could scan through Apple's website to see if it has what
I want before subscribing.

As I said, I'm a novice concerning this technology, so I have some
pretty basic questions. - When downloading, do you normally download
one song at a time, or can you download a "package" of music of a
particular kind or artist? How long would it take to download an hour
of music (one symphony, for example). Also, what's the process for
getting the music from Apple's site to your iPod? - Once pay the fee,
would you download the music files to your PC's hard drive, or through a
CD burner, and then copy it to the memory in your iPod? Could you keep
the files in your PC and copy them to another iPod if you bought
another, for example? (I haven't read Apple's contract terms, but I'm
assuming you couldn't legally copy them to your wife's or friend's iPod
also without paying another fee.) - Or, would it be better, or is it
required, that you download the files directly to your iPod instead of
storing them in your PC hardrive?

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Jim

wrote:

JimC wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
windcrest windcrest is offline

JimC wrote:
[...]

I've been on a quest for a portable player that was dedicated to
lossless formats like WAV, WMA(lossless) WMA(pro) FLAC, etc. too. Not
much luck so far. Any true audiophile will not bother with compressed
music, why buy something that is sub-standard than the original CD? I
prefer to buy the CD then rip the tracks to WAV then either use the WAV
files or a lossless compression like FLAC, this is all well and good on
the computer. But the problem is that without the computer (portable
players) only support inferior lossy compressed formats like MP3, WMA,
Apple, etc.

I dont waste my time or money on music delivered in lossy compression
formats, regardless of bit rate, they are corrupt. I have proven that
soundstage and phase relationships are lost even at high bit rates in
lossy formats. Just try removing the center channel vocal sound from
an MP3 with Karaoke software, it fails because the critical phase
relationships are gone. Whereas the center channel can be removed just
fine from the same song in uncompressed WAV or PCM format. I have also
proven that my FLAC compressed files checksum mathematically back to
the original (master) CD's when decompressed.

For years the music industry has foisted a load of low quality
recordings on the world, not much better than FM radio quality with
their use of junk technology like MP3. For my money I'll just buy CD's
and rip them myself and know that I spent my money on something that is
not corrupted with lossy compression.

Rick
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

JimC wrote:
As I said, I'm a novice concerning this technology, so I have some
pretty basic questions. - When downloading, do you normally download
one song at a time, or can you download a "package" of music of a
particular kind or artist?

You can typically download individual songs, or whole albums. I think
Apple charges you for the whole session, so you don't get hundreds of
$0.99 entries on your credit card bill.

How long would it take to download an hour
of music (one symphony, for example).

A minute of iTunes Store music is probably a little under a megabyte.
What conection speed do you get? Do the math. Not long.

Also, what's the process for
getting the music from Apple's site to your iPod? - Once pay the fee,
would you download the music files to your PC's hard drive, or through a
CD burner, and then copy it to the memory in your iPod?

The iTunes software will download the music and store it in the
appropriate folder on your hard drive. You can then burn it to a CD,
also using the iTunes software.

Could you keep
the files in your PC and copy them to another iPod if you bought
another, for example? (I haven't read Apple's contract terms, but I'm
assuming you couldn't legally copy them to your wife's or friend's iPod
also without paying another fee.)

Read the terms. There's a limit to how many computers you can listen
on, but I don't think there's a limit on how many iPods you can use.
Obviously, copying songs to a friend's iPod would violate at least the
spirit of copyright law, and probably the letter. But there's nothing
technically to stop you.

- Or, would it be better, or is it
required, that you download the files directly to your iPod instead of
storing them in your PC hardrive?

You can't download directly to an iPod. You have to download to the
computer, and then transfer them to the iPod.

You keep asking about downloads, but I just want to emphasize
something: Anything you already own on CD you can put on your iPod (by
transferring it to your computer first). For most of us with
substantial music collections, that's the source of most if not all of
what's on our iPods.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

windcrest wrote:
I've been on a quest for a portable player that was dedicated to
lossless formats like WAV, WMA(lossless) WMA(pro) FLAC, etc. too.

YOu won't find any that are *dedicated* to lossless formats to the
exclusion of lossy ones, but of course the iPod can play *Apple's*
lossless format (ALAC). I would imagine the Zune can play WMA. A list of
portables that play FLAC can be found here

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

Not
much luck so far. Any true audiophile will not bother with compressed
music, why buy something that is sub-standard than the original CD?

I wouldn't buy it, but I would certainly listen to it, when they're from
CDs of mine I;'ve ripped and converted to mp3.

prefer to buy the CD then rip the tracks to WAV then either use the WAV
files or a lossless compression like FLAC, this is all well and good on
the computer. But the problem is that without the computer (portable
players) only support inferior lossy compressed formats like MP3, WMA,
Apple, etc.

Nope. See above. Even the iPOd supports at least one lossless
compressed format.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] codifus@optonline.net is offline

windcrest wrote:
edit
I've been on a quest for a portable player that was dedicated to
lossless formats like WAV, WMA(lossless) WMA(pro) FLAC, etc. too. Not
much luck so far. Any true audiophile will not bother with compressed
music, why buy something that is sub-standard than the original CD?.

Rick

Don't forget Apple lossless. iTunes and all iPods (except the entry
level iPod shuffle) support it.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
windcrest windcrest is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
windcrest wrote:
wrote:
windcrest wrote:
edit
I've been on a quest for a portable player that was dedicated to
lossless formats like WAV, WMA(lossless) WMA(pro) FLAC, etc. too. Not
much luck so far. Any true audiophile will not bother with compressed
music, why buy something that is sub-standard than the original CD?.

Rick
Don't forget Apple lossless. iTunes and all iPods (except the entry
level iPod shuffle) support it.

CD

Until it becomes more widely available on non-Apple players I'll
probably stick to CD's ripped to FLAC. FLAC is a more widely available
than Apple's proprietary format.

And as it turns out, Windows' Zune *doesn't* support Windows Media Lossless,
though it may support Windows Media Professional....and even *more* obscure
lossless format.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=50515

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

A lost marketing opportunity by Microsoft to actually provide a value
proposition to the public on why a Zune is not just like every other
player out there. Now we know there is no distinction, so why buy a
Zune?

Too bad for them, there is definitely a niche in the market for an
all-lossless player dedicated for high end audiophiles. Somebody
(mayebe Krell, Adcom, etc) who notices that can make a killing in the
market, while all these crap players continue to wallow in the mud.

Apparently having a branded player, to Microsoft, is just the "cost of
doing business" to get their music selling web sites up, which is all
they really care about. "Lets sell more compressed audio in
proprietary formats with loads of copy protection". I have no problem
with copy protection, but wish somebody would get on the ball by
offering lossless audio in well known formats like FLAC or WAV and
simple digital rights management.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

windcrest wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
windcrest wrote:
wrote:
windcrest wrote:
edit
[...]

Well, the Apple iPod plays .wav files, plus the Apple lossless format.
What's wrong with the iPod?

You want a player that plays only lossless formats? Why would one want a
player that plays *only* lossless formats? The advantage of compression
is not only in file size, but also in power savings, which translate to
smaller size/weight and/or longer playing times.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

windcrest wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
windcrest wrote:
wrote:
windcrest wrote:
edit
[...]

Technically, you can *load* WM Lossless files onto a Zune, but it will
convert them to lossy.

Too bad for them, there is definitely a niche in the market for an
all-lossless player dedicated for high end audiophiles.

There's no need whatsoever to make a 'lossless compressed only' player,
if that's what you're suggesting. It would be silly to
offer a player that supports lossless files but NOT lossy files.
(And it would be silly not to buy one because it isn't a 'pure' lossless
player.)

In fact the Rio Karma and a few other even more obscure portables support FLAC.
The iPod supports lossless ALAC.

Somebody
(mayebe Krell, Adcom, etc) who notices that can make a killing in the
market, while all these crap players continue to wallow in the mud.

Rio doesn't seem to have made a killing, though the Karma has been out for
a couple of years now. In fact, the Karma is no longer even actively marketed
by Rio, though it can still be bought from distributors. Current Rio models
don't appear to offer FLAC support.

Apparently having a branded player, to Microsoft, is just the "cost of
doing business" to get their music selling web sites up, which is all
they really care about. "Lets sell more compressed audio in
proprietary formats with loads of copy protection".

For Apple and MS, which are offering their own music download
services, for which the player is merely a conduit, it is greatly about copy protection.

I have no problem
with copy protection, but wish somebody would get on the ball by
offering lossless audio in well known formats like FLAC or WAV and
simple digital rights management.

there are download services that offer lossless formats (though WAV files
are too big to be attractive as downloads). A list of online music stores
offering FLAC downloads is on this page:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#music

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
windcrest windcrest is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
windcrest wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
windcrest wrote:
wrote:
windcrest wrote:
edit
[...]

Actually the player I'm thinking of would play compressed audio too.
But it's emphasis would be on high quality D/A 24 bit conversion of
lossless files and also have a high-end analog headphone amp and
high-end line outs, and maybe even come with options for high end
earbuds/phones. The player would be coupled to a web site that ONLY
offers uncompressed files in WAV, FLAC, WMAL, etc. by all the major
labels jazz, classical, rock, etc. This way the user is getting
exactly the data the artists recorded, and if they want to compress it
themselves they could.

My thought is that iPods and Zunes eventually will be taken over by
cell phones, because eventually people will not want to carry all this
hardware around, and a cell phone can play compressed audio just as
well as an iPod. Down the road the only real istinction in all these
devices will be quality level as always, just like the progression from
78 to LP to cassette vs LP, to CD, to SACD, etc.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

bob wrote:
JimC wrote:

As I said, I'm a novice concerning this technology, so I have some
pretty basic questions.

You keep asking about downloads, but I just want to emphasize
something: Anything you already own on CD you can put on your iPod (by
transferring it to your computer first). For most of us with
substantial music collections, that's the source of most if not all of
what's on our iPods.

bob

Another "basic" question. - When downloading from your own CD (by
transferring it to your computer first), what's the normal procedure. -
Can you play the CD on a CD player and feed the output to your computer,
or could you play the CD on a disk reader in the computer? I'm assuming
that, in any case, this download will be in "real time" and take the
same amount of time as the particular piece of music. - Is this correct,
or is there a way to speed up the transfer?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

JimC wrote:
bob wrote:
JimC wrote:

[...]

The CD goes into your computer CD (or DVD) drive. At that point you
use software to "rip" the songs off the CD into files on your computer
(1 file per CD track). The "natural" format to rip to (with no
compression) is generally WAV files. The WAV file is mathematically
equivalent to the PCM encoded music on the disk, (no loss). At that
point it is up to you to either play the WAV files as-is or compress
them to a non-lossy format like FLAC or WMA-lossless, etc. or compress
them to a lossy format like MP3. Some rippers go straight from the CD
to MP3 (but in the background they are still ripping to WAV first).

The speed of the rip is not real-time, it is determined by many
factors, mostly how fast your CD drive is, it's buffer memory size, the
software being used, and your macine processor speed. Also if your CD
drive is doing the transfer digitally (preferred) or analog. Generally
on todays computers a 5 minute song can be ripped to WAV in well under
30 seconds. I keep a collection of about 500 CD's in WAV format on a
couple external hard drives. I ripped them with audiograbber and/or
eac.

For a smaller player I'll compress a portfolio of music to MP3 then use
it portably. But most of the time I use the WAV files directly off my
homes local area network from other computers or played into my main
audio system.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

JimC wrote:

Another "basic" question. - When downloading from your own CD (by
transferring it to your computer first), what's the normal procedure. -
Can you play the CD on a CD player and feed the output to your computer,
or could you play the CD on a disk reader in the computer?

Generally you do not have to do much, at all. With XP you just plop in the
disk and a dialog box asks you if you want to copy the disk. At least that
is the way it works on the version of XP initially installed on my PC. God
knows if it will be the same for you (if you use Win), since MS has so many
different versions if Windows out there.

For the majority of my PC use I boot into Linux. Here, a nifty and capable
program called K3B (there are many others) allows me to copy a CD. Like
Windows, when I insert the CD I am given several options of what I want to
do--play, copy, convert...

I'm guessing that with OS X the procedure is similar. You probably just
insert the CD and are then given an option to copy, play, convert to mp3,
and so forth.

You really need to find a friend who will spend a few minutes with you
explaining and showing you what can be done. This group is not really made
for PC support issues, and you will likely be better served elsewhere.

mp
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

JimC wrote:
bob wrote:
JimC wrote:

As I said, I'm a novice concerning this technology, so I have some
pretty basic questions.

You keep asking about downloads, but I just want to emphasize
something: Anything you already own on CD you can put on your iPod (by
transferring it to your computer first). For most of us with
substantial music collections, that's the source of most if not all of
what's on our iPods.

bob

Another "basic" question. - When downloading from your own CD (by
transferring it to your computer first), what's the normal procedure. -
Can you play the CD on a CD player and feed the output to your computer,
or could you play the CD on a disk reader in the computer?

You 'rip' the disc as data, from your computer's CD drive.

I'm assuming
that, in any case, this download will be in "real time" and take the
same amount of time as the particular piece of music. - Is this correct,
or is there a way to speed up the transfer?

No, when you rip from a CD, it happens as much as 48 times faster than real time.
The speed depends on your CD drive and the settings of your 'ripping' software.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

JimC wrote:

Another "basic" question. - When downloading from your own CD (by
transferring it to your computer first), what's the normal procedure. -
Can you play the CD on a CD player and feed the output to your computer,
or could you play the CD on a disk reader in the computer? I'm assuming
that, in any case, this download will be in "real time" and take the
same amount of time as the particular piece of music. - Is this correct,
or is there a way to speed up the transfer?

I use a Mac and iTunes, but I presume the procedure is similar for PCs,
and other softwa

1. Pop the CD into your computer's CDROM drive.

2. Launch iTunes, if it doesn't launch automatically.

3. Click "Import CD." This will copy the CD to your hard drive and
place the songs in your iTunes library.

This will take much less time than playing the CD. I haven't timed it,
but the last one I did probably took well under 10 minutes.

The key decision you have to make is what format you want to rip to. If
you're using an iPod, the best choice is AAC, which is a codec like
MP3, but offers better sound quality at equivalent bitrates. The choice
of bitrates involves a compromise between sound quality and file
size--and by extension, how much you can get on your player. 128kbps is
"standard"--it's what you'll get if you buy from the iTunes Music
Store, for example. It's 11:1 compression, so a 700MB CD takes up about
65MB. I use 192kbps, or 7:1 compression. At that rate, I get almost 12
hours of music per GB and sound quality I doubt I could tell from the
original CD.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jim Gibson Jim Gibson is offline

In article , JimC
wrote:

bob wrote:
JimC wrote:

As I said, I'm a novice concerning this technology, so I have some
pretty basic questions.

Another "basic" question. - When downloading from your own CD (by
transferring it to your computer first), what's the normal procedure. -
Can you play the CD on a CD player and feed the output to your computer,
or could you play the CD on a disk reader in the computer? I'm assuming
that, in any case, this download will be in "real time" and take the
same amount of time as the particular piece of music. - Is this correct,
or is there a way to speed up the transfer?

"Downloading" from a CD is commonly called "ripping". Audio compact
discs can be read directly by computer CD drives and turned into music
data files on your computer. There is no need to play the CD on a
player (converting the digital data into analog waveforms) and then
re-digitize the analog data back into digital form. Doing so would
likely add errors and distortions.

Ripping is done as fast as your computer can read the CD, optionally
convert the audio data to some format, and store the converted data on
your hard drive. Your CD drive is probably rated as 16x, 48x, which
gives you some idea of how much faster than real time the reading can
be. Conversion and writing will take some time as well.

The data on a CD is uncompressed (16 bits at 44,100 samples per seconds
per channel). Most ripping programs can compress the audio to a variety
of formats. iTunes is one program that can do this.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

bob wrote:
JimC wrote:

[...]

Just want to make sure that JimC is clear about this, when you use
iTunes you set up the importing options in
Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Importing. You specify what format you want
iTunes to rip to, and at what rate. You can experiment with different
encoders and bit rates to see what works best for you. For a lot of us,
anything above 192Kbps gets really close to the original, so that may be
a good rate to start with. It's difficult for most of us to tell 320
kbps mp3's from the original CD.

If you want the highest compatibility, you should rip to mp3 (import
using MP3 encoder in iTunes). If you want the highest quality, you can
rip to a lossless compressed format, like the Apple lossless format for
example. The .wav format does not give you any compression, so that will
result in the largest file size and the highest bit rate.

FYI, CD format is 44.1K samples/sec. That translates to a bit rate of
44.1K * 16 *2 = 1.41 Megabits/sec. So a very high quality mp3 using 320
Kbps will give you a data compression rate of 4.4. That means the size
required to store the music in that mp3 format is less than a quarter of
what the .wav format requires.

The compression rate is important because (a) it means you can store
more music for a given storage capacity, and (b) the energy required to
retrieve the music is less because there are fewer bits to read. The
latter results in more playing time and/or smaller battery size.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Chung wrote:
bob wrote:
JimC wrote:

[...]

I would strnongly suggest that you avoid the MP3 encoder within iTunes.
It's lousy. Fast, but lousy. AAC is the best choice for compressed,
lossy audio.

[...]

Other than the quality issue of the MP3 encoder in iTunes, I agree with
all else Chung has said. Just substitute AAC for MP3

Another thing to think about is, if you are starting to really like the
idea of ripping your CDs to iTunes, here's a suggestion to help you
speed things alongs when ripping CDs en masse;

rip the CDs to iTunes using AIFF or WAV. These are uncompressed,
perfectly lossless, and the FASTEST way to rip your CDs to iTunes.

Then, once you've ripped all your CDs to AIFF or WAV, goto
Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Importing and change the import method to AAC
912 Kbits or other lossy method your prefer.

Hit OK and go back to your music library. Choose or select all the
songs you just imported as AIFF or WAV. Goto the advanced menu and
choose "convert selection to AAC."

What this does is let the computer go about its business of converting
all those possibly hundreds of files sitting on your hard drive to your
preferred format without any intervention from you. Making an AAC or
MP3 file requires the computer to process the data, so the conversion
takes quite a bit longer than importing to AIFF or WAV. Since you have
quickly imported all the music data to your computer, you can now leave
the computer processing over night and come the next morning to find
all the files converted to AAC.

Now, you will find that all your files have been duplicated. No
problem. With your Library hilighted/selected, goto the edit menu and
choose show duplicate songs. In the column headings which say Name,
Time, Artist etc, click on "Kind" This will re-order the list so all
your AIFF, AAC, and WAV files are grouped together. Select all the AIFF
or WAV files and choose DELETE. Done. On the bottom of the itunes
windows you will see a Show all Songs button. Choose it and your itunes
windows goes back to normal displaying all your songs in the library.

Hope this helps

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

wrote:

Another thing to think about is, if you are starting to really like the
idea of ripping your CDs to iTunes, here's a suggestion to help you
speed things alongs when ripping CDs en masse;

rip the CDs to iTunes using AIFF or WAV. These are uncompressed,
perfectly lossless, and the FASTEST way to rip your CDs to iTunes.

This is really significantly faster than ripping in ALAC?

[...]

If you have the hard-drive space to hold all your CDs in WAV/AIFF
format in the first place, why delete them? Create separate libraries
for uncompressed and compressed music, and load your iPod from the
compressed library.

This will save you having to re-rip all your CDs when you're ready to
ditch your CD player and use a computer as your source component.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I agree, if you are going to spend the time to rip CD's you may as well
have lossless "masters" for the future. Hard drive space these days is
dirt cheap, in fact Frys electronics had a 1 TERRABYTE external drive
for under $400 last week, this one drive will hold just about anybodys
CD collection in WAV format easily. Having a lossless master also
allows you to resell your CD to a used CD store and put that money
towards more CD's which is what I do. I know in the future I will have
a pristine, uncorrupted source for the data, and I just compress when I
need to. Compression algorhythms will continue to improve and evolve,
remember that 128kb MP3 sounds a lot better today than it did 8 years
ago, and this is due to all the bugs fixed over the years just in the
MP3 code. Why rip using a compression algorhythm that you know will be
improved next year? Just rip to WAV and live without fear of
obsolesence going forward.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:

Another thing to think about is, if you are starting to really like the
idea of ripping your CDs to iTunes, here's a suggestion to help you
speed things alongs when ripping CDs en masse;

rip the CDs to iTunes using AIFF or WAV. These are uncompressed,
perfectly lossless, and the FASTEST way to rip your CDs to iTunes.

This is really significantly faster than ripping in ALAC?

Here's my observations/experience:
RIP to Library using WAV/AIFF=fastest, most space taken up.
RIP to Library using AppleLossless=1/2 as fast, half the space.
RIP to Library using AAC=slowest, usually 1/5 the speed, resulitng
files (@160 kbps) 1/10 the size of AIFF or WAV

[...]

In my library I have mostly Apple Lossless to achive pretty much the
same result. If the source file was not of pristine quality, like an
old cassette, then I make it AAC.

This will save you having to re-rip all your CDs when you're ready to
ditch your CD player and use a computer as your source component.

bob

CD
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn Jenn is offline

windcrest wrote:
[...]

Man, I break out every time I think of ripping all of my CDs in the
future and having to spend days fixing the lablels in the software,
which are generally terrible for classical. I know that it will have
to happen someday, but I sure don't look forward to it.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jenn wrote:
windcrest wrote:
[...]

I initially did my collection of 500 or so CD's over the course of
about a month, now I rip CD's about 3 or 4 times a year to catch up.
I'm very glad that I did it to WAV files, it would not be worth my time
ripping to compressed formats knowing that the compression algorithms
are always changing and improving. I'd hate to think I spent all that
time ripping through an algorithm that had a coding bug. I have a
master base library now that is "hi res" so to speak, with no lost data
that you can never get back from a lossy compressed format. If I want
compression I can drag and drop the items I want from WAV files.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

windcrest wrote:

I initially did my collection of 500 or so CD's over the course of
about a month, now I rip CD's about 3 or 4 times a year to catch up.
I'm very glad that I did it to WAV files, it would not be worth my time
ripping to compressed formats knowing that the compression algorithms
are always changing and improving. I'd hate to think I spent all that
time ripping through an algorithm that had a coding bug. I have a
master base library now that is "hi res" so to speak, with no lost data
that you can never get back from a lossy compressed format. If I want
compression I can drag and drop the items I want from WAV files.

A good approach. A lossless encoder, like FLAC or ALAC, would do just
as well, however, and require less disk space.

The other thing to remember is that hard drives fail. ("There are two
types of computer users: Those who have lost data, and those who will
lose data.") So get *two* hard drives, back everything up, and run
diagnostics on both drives periodically to make sure they're still
healthy.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

Jenn wrote:

Man, I break out every time I think of ripping all of my CDs in the
future and having to spend days fixing the lablels in the software,
which are generally terrible for classical. I know that it will have
to happen someday, but I sure don't look forward to it.

I've haven't ripped many classical CDs yet, but this is definitely a
problem if you have a large collection (which *you* do!). This cries
out for an open-source database where people who've straightened the
data out can post it for others to access.

Could someone please take care of this for us?

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

windcrest wrote:
Jenn wrote:
windcrest wrote:
[...]

That would not be a problem for a lossless compressed archive. You can
always expand them back to .wav and reencode in the 'new and improved'
format.

My collection is archived as lossless (FLAC). I save about a third
in hard drive space, compared to the same archive as .wav.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
windcrest windcrest is offline

I use ArcServe to do unattended backups, but the project for this year
will be to get one of those plug and play RAID boxes. We have lots of
photos and movies too.

bob wrote:
windcrest wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Steven Sullivan wrote:
windcrest wrote:
Jenn wrote:
windcrest wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've verified that both FLAC and WMA lossless, when converted to
WAV, checksum back to the original WAV. I just use WAV mainly because
as a musician I have backing tracks that play in my looping pedals and
mixing board, and these devices only accept WAV files. Also if I
record my band live that is all in WAV format too.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Thanks to everyone for the information and suggestions. It has been very
helpful.

Jim

Jim Gibson wrote:

In article , JimC
wrote:

bob wrote:

JimC wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
UC UC is offline

JimC wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a basic discussion or explanation of what music
is available on downloaded files, such as iTunes, and whether there are
any high-rez portable music systems conveniently workable that include a
variety of classics and pop music, etc. I'm a complete novice relative
to this technology. - I had understood that the audio quality of the
typical iPod (or other similar systems) wasn't very good, so I haven't
kept up with them at all. Actually, I have been impressed with the sound
of some of the high-end walkmans and CD players. - How do the iPods
compare with them.

The minidisc system is very good. I have had one for 10 years. Sony
have a new system (Hi-MD) with even better resolution and higher
capacity.

See: http://www.minidisco.com/Sony-MZ-RH1?sc=7&category=10