Joel Frahm

Default multiroom remote receiver?

Hi, I hope you can help with this question. I have a couple of
Sherwood Newcastle receivers (R725 and R925) that have a 1/8" input on
the back for an additional IR receiver for multiroom capability. I
wonder if I can make one of these receivers with a simple IR
phototransistor or are they more complicated that that? I have not
seen the multiroom receivers for sale anywhere recently.

A friend of mine suggested that the input might be 3-conductor and
have +5v for an IR photodetector, but I plugged in a 1/8" stereo cable
and was unable to find any voltage in there. That made me think the
remote receiver might just be a phototransistor input.

Thanks for any help,
-Joel.
Joel Frahm

Never mind, I decided just to try it and see. A Rat Shack
phototransistor (item number 276-145) works just fine. Not bad for a
buck and a half, an old 1/8 phono plug, and some wire.

-Joel.