Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

As far as I know, the Crowshurst idea with two el cheapo OPTs and
which does allow cheap sound, has been in your barrow that you push
for goodness knows how many years.

Yes! Goodness knows (your words) only a year & a half since I decided
to attempt this particular topology. But I'm so old I do recall the
original articles beginning in 1957. I had lost track of the circuit
but got copies of all three articles from Bill Perkins of PEARL about
12 years ago. I was curious so I finally tried one. The results were
so much better than the many other circuits including UL of similar
cost I had tried over the years. I've recently completed the 2nd. The
results again exceeded my expectations.

I might add that an ordinary UL amp using a pair of KT88 PP with a
mere 16 db of global FB can produce no more than 0.1% thd
at 35 watts using one well designed OPT. To get over twice the power
at one fifth of the thd than the test
results you quote above does cost a little more than $200, but
permit most audiophiles the
luxurious choice they make for far better overall performance,
albeit at
6 times the diy price. But the audiophiles go to even further
expense per watt, and choose SET,
and although this seems ludicrous, leave them to it, they know what
they are doing.

As always, we should expect that throwing money at the project should
result in some performance improvements. And they will with
Crowhurst's circuit just as they do with any other circuit you might
choose. That is a sure thing if properly executed. My articles are
directed to ordinary folks who may not have thousands of dollars to
gamble on a home built circuit that may fail & possibly kill them as a
bonus. The money & effort available needs to be evenly spread over the
whole sound system, not just the amplifier.

But if it makes you feel more secure to criticize Crowhurst's work,
please do. At times your arguments don't even make sense but I read
them anyway!

Well, your arguments are all ignored by the SET crowd, because they
don't make much sense to them either.
No amount of preaching will cause them to give up their SETs.
I am not worried that the SET fanatics I know think they would never
adopt
many of my ideas.
Luckily many of my customers like PP amps with finnesse and real balls.

Patrick Turner.

They may be of different faiths, but they are all God's children.

Patrick Turner.

BTW, my earlier reference to BS had absolutely nothing to do with SET
amps as you have erroneously reported. Those are your words. Better go
back & carefully read what I said. Not sure how you managed to read
that into the thread. I was referring to the seeming inability of
Westley to comprehend my responses to his query. And that is still a
mystery to anyone, IMO!

Cheers, John Stewart

Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Thanks Patrick for getting this tread back on track with a very interesting
post. I don't know why so many seem almost ashamed for using feedback. Some
brag that their design uses no feedback as if it were a merit of honor. I
was impressed that you gave me a complete schematic of an 833 SE amp after
only one post. Did you just make it up or did you have it already?

The schematic is a design that I recently sent to a colleague who had a customer
who
wanted an 833 amp.
The project didn't go ahead though, which often happens
with "customer dreams."
He builds more amps than I do, but I do all his critical OPT and schematic
design work.

What would you do besides a bigger PS to make that tube push 100 - 150 watts.

Can
the OPT be purchased or has to be custom made? Thanks.

There is a pp Hammond OPT which can be used, if you settle for
parafeed. This means there is *no* need for a special OPT suited to
DC flow, which for a given power level for a given RL will have more primary.
turns and a larger but gapped core.

That simply moves the problem from the OPT to the choke. Any choke used will need to
be properly gapped & be free from parasitic resonances. Don't bother trying a PS
choke.

The problems that any OPT may bring are not moved anywhere;
they stay put in the OPT.

The OPT will still need to remain free of saturation from LF signals
at 20Hz and of 600 vrms amplitude, and it will need to have low leakage L and low
winding losses.

The choke from the B+ to 833 anode needs to be about
50H ideally, and the minimum Lp of the AC coupled OPT will be say 100H,
so final LP seen by the tube will be 33H.
Ra and RL in parallel = RA = about 5k, so
the -3dB pole for such a value of RA will be at 5k / ( 33 x 6.28 ) = 24 Hz.

This is a bit high for hi-fi, and the choke should really be a pair of 25H chokes in
series
to give LP = effectively 50H.
Thus the LF pole will be at 16 Hz, and now were'e talking.

The HF effect of the chokes will just be the self capacitance
and stray C, which is easy to keep to a low level, especially if the chokes
have divided bobbins and in effect have two coils in series, thus halving self
capacitance,
and since there would be 4 coils total, self C is reduced to maybe 100pF,
hardly likely to affect the HF response as much as the C in the OPT.

The choke/parafeed option is sensible, and the chokes can carry twice the turns
than an OPT of the same core size, since there are no secondary windings.
So the although the chokes may be largish, they will be easily doable.

We are talking perhaps 100 watts of plate dissipation, so 85mA
at 1,200v, and so the gap won't be huge, and L can be arranged to be high......

The pair of chokes mean that the signal voltage max across each choke
won't be much more than 420vrms max.
3 x 33H chokes could be used, or 4 x 25H.

Ha ha, lotsa chokin goin on!

Patrick Turner.

JLS

The Hammond is the cheap option.

Anything custom will cost more.

John Stewart

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

You covered that fairly well with one very important omission, probably the most important
of all.

That would be insulation in both the transformer & choke. At the voltages & impedances
proposed the hipot capability would need to be at least 4 KV & better 5 KV.
As you are well aware, if the load should by accident or plan become disconnected while a
large signal is present there is a good possibility of insulation punch thru.
These triodes made for Class B operation do not on their own provide much damping or
control of the output signal, at all.

Good Luck to those who would go into that territory! John Stewart

Fabio Berutti

Sorry, trying to get back to West question, which I suppose is "what is the
best amp I can build on a cost-no-objection basis"? I mean, a unit able to
drive almost any speaker AND really good sounding.
I don't have positive answers ready, but I can try to rule out something:
- First, I'd rule out SE because bi- or tri-amping is not included in this
scenario and a SE arrangement has many clear disadvantages:
1.1: SE transformers, being affected by DC, have a bad time going down to
the 17Hz of the last "A" on a grand piano's keyboard
1.2: 2nd harmonic distortion becomes too high unless the tube is only
marginally exploited
1.3: power is low unless tube is "squeezed" very hard (see above 1.2)
1.4: output impedance (damping factor) is not very low unless feedback is
employed, therefore the SE is no good candidate to drive difficult loads
- Second, I'd exclude Unobtainium tubes and/or "strange" topologies like
OTLs because the advantages are more than compensated by the problems
- Third, I'd exclude output pentodes 'cause they need an awful lot of
feedback to reduce distortion.
- Fourth, I'd use only triodes along the signal path to minimise the noise.
What is the result? A push-pull of triodes, which has the minimum intrinsic
distortion, driven by an all-triode circuit... gosh, it looks like a
Williamson... is it a coincidence?
OK, in fact I prefer the long-tail phase splitter, but it asks for one extra
tube in order to have a feedback inlet point.
Now, let us consider the visual impact: BIG bottles with glowing thoriated
tungsten filament are more "rewarding". SV811, NOS 845 and many others
belong to the realm of Unobtainium and are out. The remaining contenders
are the GM-70 and the 211 (some JAN VT-4C can still be bought at 200+$..).
The Russian tube delivers 125W instead of 75, costs 1/3 and does not need to
be pushed to positive grid.
The socket is difficult to find, but an 813 type can be used.
Final line-up: a low mu triode, followed by a long-tail splitter, followed
by a differential amp big enough to feed the GM-70. Say 6J5, 6SL7, 6BX7 or a
couple of trioded EL84s. I don't suggest using DHTs as drives 'cause all
the ones I heard were terribly microphonic.
There's gain enough for a sensible amount of feedback, which should give a
damping factor high enough to drive almost anything (together with the
200WPC powered by a 1250V rail).
Is it the best one? I'd still make a PPP with KT88s and use a lower B+ just
for common sense and to have a lower transforming ratio-easier made OPT,
but the DHTs glow so cool... Sure I cannot say I'm the one who defined the
Final Amp...
My own big one (now under the welding iron) uses the SV811 and a Williamson
clone gain stage, but I'm satisfied with 100W or less.

Now I got to deal a bit with other tubes (steel pipes, indeed), my job calls
me back...

Ciao

Fabio

"west" ha scritto nel messaggio
news
Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

Adam Stouffer

west wrote:
"Johnny Boy,
I had my own biomedical and Nuclear research business which came out with
many innovative circuits and retrofits. I have a patent pending for one of
them at this time. The sale of my business has allowed me to semi-retire at
a relatively young age. I have nothing to prove, especially to a self
appointed idiot like you.

Translation = *WHACKA*WHACKA*WHACKA*WHACKA......*

Adam

John Stewart

Patrick Turner wrote:

Now if you take away the NFB including the local NFB in the OPT arrangment

your above $200 amps the THD will be somewhat not so good, with worse
spectra than the SET which came off the "ark", as you suggest.

Strange that you should mention that point. The same thing happens when you
do that to a UL amp. JLS

There is of course no reason why the SE amp could not have some NFB
applied and thus will measure very much better.

west

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
[...]

Fabio,
Your posts begs a few questions but for just a quickie: I don't understand
what you mean than an 845 is almost impossible to find. I see them
advertised in many places. Perhaps I'm missing something? maybe someone else
knows what he meant? BTW: As hobbyist, our objectives are not usually "cost
effective" projects. If we intended to mass produce and sell, that's a
different story.
west

Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

In previous posts where use of HV OP circuits are involved I recommended oil filled
transformers.

Do I have to spell out the obvious dangers of HV circuitry?

Such dangers with HV do not stop keen and capable diyers; they
enjoy the challenge and the music.

As you are well aware, if the load should by accident or plan become disconnected while a
large signal is present there is a good possibility of insulation punch thru.

I always like to see a zobel network across the OPT primary so
that there is a load on the tubes at least at HF.

With the ise of a Hammond OPT cap coupled to
a HV anode, the OPT primary is at OV potential.
Sure, the anode swing could rise to 3 times the B+, say to
+3,600V with a back emf, but the rise at the input of the OPT primary
will only be to 2,400V.

Normal operation of the OPT will involve +/- peak 1,000v maximums
at one end of the primary.

Keen amateurs will build a sealed box for each choke and OPT and fill
each with oil.

Amateurs not so keen may suffer insulation breakdown if they don't
address the problems of over voltages with limiting circuits
or very good insulation.

Ppl used to use a pair of points across the OPT to allow a spark
where voltages tried to rise too high. This was adjustable with a screw and lock nut,
so any HV would arc safely across metal point instead of through
or around insulation.

These triodes made for Class B operation do not on their own provide much damping or
control of the output signal, at all.

The 1957 GE book I have lists a PP amp with D1505 triodes good for 1,100 watts.
It has the spark gap.

Good Luck to those who would go into that territory!

Only the foolhardy would try building a HV amp first up.

But anything with 300V is potentially deadly.

One needs to feel fear when working with tube gear.

Patrick Turner.

John Stewart

Jon Yaeger

I¹ve been away on vacation and haven¹t been able to follow the threads.

West, stop being such a jerk.

Jon

Mark Harriss

Adam Stouffer wrote:

Translation = *WHACKA*WHACKA*WHACKA*WHACKA......*

Adam

What's the translation for *WHACKA* ?

Fabio Berutti

"west" ha scritto nel messaggio
m...
[...]

These are Chinese 845s. Often SE DHT maniacs crave for NOS tubes and a RCA
"world logo" 845 from the Forties costs nowadays about 1 kilo-$, if You
manage to find one. It is not a technical issue, new Chinese production
845s are said to be good tubes (I never used one), it's a matter of tube
fetish. If You're lucky enough not to be affected by this perversion, then
Valve Art 845s are out there by the dozen.

Perhaps I'm missing something? maybe someone else
knows what he meant? BTW: As hobbyist, our objectives are not usually
"cost
effective" projects.

I know, but each project, Saturn Five included, has a sort of a budget,
which means that money is better spent where it delivers maximum result. As
an example: a GM-70 will yield more watts than both 845 and 211, it is
readily available, according to its anode curves it is in the same league in
terms of linearity, AND it can be easily bought for 70-80$ max: why should I
pay 200 or 300? I'd save 150$ per tube and then I'd invest 'em in better
OPTs or larger filter capacitors.
As a 211 / 845 price reference, see http://www.tubedepot.com/211845.html ;
http://www.kraudioproducts.com/tubes/845/ ; http://www.tubesandmore.com/
As per the GM-70, see http://www.tubedepot.com/so-gm70.html or
http://www.gstube.com/tubes/ (Russian site, much cheaper).

Ciao

Fabio

If we intended to mass produce and sell, that's a
different story.
west

west

833 Amp StewartJon,
I believe you are the "jerk." You been on vacation and do not know what has transpired. Are you prone to being a bull in a china closet? You certainly didn't act like an asshole when I was buying your merchandise. I guess you lost another customer for life.
BTW: This is the first time that I was involved with any controversy and I hate it. All I have done is to defend myself from repeated attacks by Stewart. I hate this sort of thing, mostly because when garbage is throw out, as I have said in the past, the dogs will come around sniffing (Jon). On the other hand Jon, from what I have observed, has been involved many time with flame wars. I supposed we have witnessed a prime example of the cause. I will never answer a post by (PA or Iverson) because I truly believe for them to be insane, so what they say doesn't mean anything to me or most RATs for that matter. Jon, on the other hand shows moments of civility (not this time) so that's why I am disappointed in him to say the least. You will all notice that I didn't start this thread. Go back on vacation, I think you need it.
west

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message ...
I've been away on vacation and haven't been able to follow the threads.

West, stop being such a jerk.

Jon

As a general rule, (and there are certainly exceptions) the older a
basic tube type the simpler it is to build and the greater likelihood
that the Chinese can get it right. They could not possibly get things
like Nuvistors and Compactrons to work well but the 845 and 300B and
other single triode types are much less challenging to produce.

The problem is that there are hundreds of Chinese tube plants, all
backwoods operations to one extent or other, and no traceability at
all. Personally I think we should use the FTC to require traceability
on all imported tubes, thus making it much more sensible for someone to
make them here. This has kept manufacture of AN hardware-nuts, bolts,
fluid fittings, et al-here as the cost of US manufacture is cheaper
than documenting the Chinese product!

I suspect that is the real purpose of the Euro no-lead laws-making
lead free consumotronics will become too much trouble for the ollies
and they will start making them in the EU instead. I used to like to
say the Frogs couldn't organize a ****-up in a brewery but they sure
can organize a farm or truck strike!!

Jon Yaeger

in article , west at

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
I¹ve been away on vacation and haven¹t been able to follow the threads.

West, stop being such a jerk.

Jon

West,

Who licked the red off of your candy?

I hoped to spare you the embarrassment of a ³mine¹s bigger than your¹s²
comparison with John Stewart, which you were sure to lose.

IMHO Patrick & John are consistently generous in their contributions and
willingness to help. John gave you assistance in private e-mail before you
pounced on him. In light of all the different questions about all of the
topologies that you¹ve posed on R.A.T. I think John¹s question is a fair
one. After all, he is one of the folks that is investing time and goodwill
to help you. He wasn¹t flaming you, but your response was WAY over the top.
In my experience J.S. Is one of the most genteel and civil folks on R.A.T.
Give him a break!

As to whether or not you buy stuff from me, well, I guess I¹ll just have to
be a big boy and suck up to the fact that there are consequences to
expression. In fact, you¹ve displayed a side of yourself that¹s new to me .
.. . . .

Don¹t know what all of your anger is about. I hope it abates. Maybe it¹s
time for YOU to take that vacation . . . . .

Cheers and best regards,

Jon

west

833 Amp JonWhat you are saying is akin to "black is a dark color." I think out of all the regulars, I'm probably the least knowledgeable regarding tube electronics. I know and have a deep and abiding appreciation for John and Patrick and Fabio's, et al. tube knowledge. However, I do not believe that a person be should solely judged by tube knowledge. This is a very small spectrum in Life's scheme of things. I pointed out that I'm a biomedical engineer only to demonstrate that my ignorance is not broad band. I chose this as a hobby because I love good sounding music and it presents me with a challenge that I needed at this time in my life. It's pathetic to judge someone by their knowledge of tubes. It's more pathetic to jump in where you were not involved and hurl insults at someone who has never done you any harm. I have nothing personal against John or anyone. I agree 100% of your assessment of him, which buttresses my point of you jumping in without having any knowledge of the genesis of the conversation. Now that you are better informed, show everyone that you are a real man with integrity, who made a mistake and apologize for what you said. We await your response. (sorry for the soap box, folks).

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message ...
I've been away on vacation and haven't been able to follow the threads.

West, stop being such a jerk.

Jon

West,

Who licked the red off of your candy?

I hoped to spare you the embarrassment of a "mine's bigger than your's" comparison with John Stewart, which you were sure to lose.

IMHO Patrick & John are consistently generous in their contributions and willingness to help. John gave you assistance in private e-mail before you pounced on him. In light of all the different questions about all of the topologies that you've posed on R.A.T. I think John's question is a fair one. After all, he is one of the folks that is investing time and goodwill to help you. He wasn't flaming you, but your response was WAY over the top. In my experience J.S. Is one of the most genteel and civil folks on R.A.T. Give him a break!

As to whether or not you buy stuff from me, well, I guess I'll just have to be a big boy and suck up to the fact that there are consequences to expression. In fact, you've displayed a side of yourself that's new to me . . . . .

Don't know what all of your anger is about. I hope it abates. Maybe it's time for YOU to take that vacation . . . . .

Cheers and best regards,

Jon
Jon Yaeger

West,

I meant what I said. I¹m sorry if you take personal offence instead of
constructive criticism.

Q.E.D.

Jon

in article , west at
wrote on 7/5/05 9:03 PM:

[...]

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article , west at

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
[...]

. . . .

Don¹t know what all of your anger is about. I hope it abates. Maybe it¹s
time for YOU to take that vacation . .

west

833 Amp JonOk Jon, I suposed in your world calling someone a jerk is constructive critism. I didn't expect for you to apologize.
west
"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message ...
West,

I meant what I said. I'm sorry if you take personal offence instead of constructive criticism.

Q.E.D.

Jon
[...]

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message ...
in article , west at

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message ...
[...]

Patrick Turner

west wrote:

Jon,I believe you are the "jerk."

What's a jerk? maybe a Jolly Energetic Reasonable Kount.

Lets not savage each other with jerkisms; hell there's a bit of jerk
in all of us,
no need to point it out in others, ( and are you listnin' Jon?)

You been on vacation and do not know what has transpired. Are you
prone to being a bull in a china closet? You certainly didn't act like
an asshole when I was buying your merchandise. I guess you lost
another customer for life.BTW: This is the first time that I was
involved with any controversy and I hate it.

Taking an active part in almost any news group makes one **extremely**
suceptable to
being called all sorts of names and being the at the centre of
controvesy,
and one can't really expect a dream run of politeness forever.
If I had a dollar for every time someone called me a jerk f***head,
autistic, or told me to die soon, get cancer,
or that I was a criminal, and an incompetent amp maker I would be
fairly wealthy
by now.

I have developed secret raincoat and rain hat that is coated with a
soon to be patented
layer of special silicone material that prevents mud from sticking,
and I must say
its come in handy at times.

Id also be wealthy if I had a dollar for each time I ask myself
" am I really correct in what i am saying, or do i need to say this,
or shall I get take offense, or shall I just put up with it? "

All I have done is to defend myself from repeated attacks by Stewart.
I hate this sort of thing, mostly because when garbage is throw out,
as I have said in the past, the dogs will come around sniffing (Jon).

Mr Stewart means very well, and like many folks he also has his barrow
of vegetables
to sell like everyone else in the market.
If a particualrly large melon or pumkin rolls off his barrow
to obstruct you, then dodge around it, no need to kink up a stink
because vege markets
do have a bit of a smell anyway.....

On the other hand Jon, from what I have observed, has been involved
many time with flame wars. I supposed we have witnessed a prime
example of the cause. I will never answer a post by (PA or Iverson)
because I truly believe for them to be insane, so what they say
doesn't mean anything to me or most RATs for that matter.

Sometimes the insane have something worthwhile to say, I decide who
gets upset
by whatever they say, not them, and I am quite serene about PA or Ian
I being here.

You see sometimes the discussion may bring no feel good factors to
your own
particular focus, but then the subject may be a vehicle in which all
the group
might travel to understanding, even though there maybe mud all over
us.
Hell, you can't have a decent car rally without a bitta mud!

So no need to take things toooooooooooooooo seriously.

Jon, on the other hand shows moments of civility (not this time) so
that's why I am disappointed in him to say the least. You will all
notice that I didn't start this thread.

I am more capable of seeing the good side to our Jon, forgive him now,
you'll be rewarded tomorrow,
that's how I try to work.

But wasn't it you who began asking about the use of 833?
Never mind if it wasn't, its all water under a bridge now.

I reckon if we all took vacations as often as you suggest,
all america would be at the beach all year.

Then guys would be standin around arguing about who saw the biggest
wave,
or which sheila had the biggest tits.

Hey, not a bad idea, but I guess we'd need a wetsuit in January.

Patrick Turner.

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
’ve been away on
vacation and haven’t been able to follow the threads.

West, stop being such a jerk.

Jon

Patrick Turner

As a general rule, (and there are certainly exceptions) the older a
basic tube type the simpler it is to build and the greater likelihood
that the Chinese can get it right. They could not possibly get things
like Nuvistors and Compactrons to work well but the 845 and 300B and
other single triode types are much less challenging to produce.

The problem is that there are hundreds of Chinese tube plants, all
backwoods operations to one extent or other, and no traceability at
all. Personally I think we should use the FTC to require traceability
on all imported tubes, thus making it much more sensible for someone to
make them here. This has kept manufacture of AN hardware-nuts, bolts,
fluid fittings, et al-here as the cost of US manufacture is cheaper
than documenting the Chinese product!

Ha.

I think we may see porcine flight before we see traceable chinese
productions.
But the chinese make some good and not so good stuff.......
One cannot tar them all with the same brush.

Methinks that if it wasn't for the efforts of the chinese in their
underpaid sweatshops
working 6 days a week making all sorts of things we buy by the truckload,
we would all have a lower standard of living.

WE 300B are about $300 each, no?

Just as well I don't have to rely on americans to make my ****in tubes.

I suspect that is the real purpose of the Euro no-lead laws-making
lead free consumotronics will become too much trouble for the ollies
and they will start making them in the EU instead. I used to like to
say the Frogs couldn't organize a ****-up in a brewery but they sure
can organize a farm or truck strike!!

The world is a market place, and it will evolve what evolves.
If the US and europe subsidise their farmers to grow what the africans can
grow cheaper then lots africans will remain poor when all they want is a
fair go.
afaik, the chines tube makers might be subsidised by china... economics
isn't an exact science though, certainly not in my poor mind,
so arguments about economics here won't mean much.
Nothings gonna change radically.

Anyway tubes only have lead in their pins in the octal sockets, no?
They could easily use lead free solder, surely?

Patrick Turner.

I think if "lower standard of living" means no more $39 unfixable DVD
players and $7995 Kias, ditto, I'll be happy to take that lower
standard of living. If people have to learn to fix things and cook at
home more nights than going out we'll be smarter and healthier.

Our tube industry may be dead, but yours....did you ever even have
one??

As far as the Africans growing anything-they can't feed themselves let
alone anyone else. I think the whole continent should be sealed off for
thirty years, allowing for nature to do what she does best. Pouring aid
into Africa is only going to make the toll of death and starvation
longer. I do agree US farm policy isn't the best-but I think Europe is
smart to protect their family farms. Unreasonably low raw food costs
have destroyed American small farmers and made most Americans fat-I
think we should put an instant $5000/day fine on burger chains for
hiring illegals and put a tax on fast food. About the only good aspect
of ultracheap food in the US-most of it laden with high fructose corn
syrup-is that the population is decreasing because so many people here
are getting literally too fat to ****.

Ian Iveson

If you don't care about millions of kids dying in pain, it may be
best to keep quiet. Unless you really want to campaign for a cruel
world.

If you cared you would think, and if you thought you would be less
likely to contradict yourself.

As far as the Africans growing anything-they can't feed themselves
let
alone anyone else...

...Europe is smart to protect their family farms...

What, from people who can't grow anything?

President Bush has stated that the US will not move on open trade
with Africa because it would hurt the economy. How?

Heaps of food comes from Africa to Europe, but still many projects
fail for lack of open markets. Restrictions seem to apply according
to value added, so in many cases they can't sell processed goods,
only the raw materials.

I think the whole continent should be sealed off for
thirty years, allowing for nature to do what she does best.

Like what? Sealed off how?

You would find the cost of your lifestyle would rocket, because
Africa currently contributes much more than it consumes. Electronics
(for example) would become difficult for lack of raw materials such
as tantalum and rare metals. Fruit and veg would become expensive
and seasonal again without the major southern-hemisphere suppliers.
Energy prices would increase.

Of course it is a complicated issue, perhaps too hard for anyone to
understand completely, but we can at least make an effort.

Mozambique is worth looking at, if you want an example of how aid
can work.

You might also find it uplifting to lend a hand, perhaps via

http://www.live8live.com/whatsitabout/index.shtml

cheers, Ian

Raymond Koonce

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

Hi west,

At great risk of fire, here's a link to an 833 amp:

Amp: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/se833nynoise.gif
PSU: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/ps833nynoise.gif

Bob D. does some interesting things with odd tubes. You should visit
his site.

Regards,

Raymond

Any photos of the built amp?

John Stewart

Raymond Koonce wrote:

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

Hi west,

At great risk of fire, here's a link to an 833 amp:

Amp: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/se833nynoise.gif
PSU: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/ps833nynoise.gif

Bob D. does some interesting things with odd tubes. You should visit
his site.

Regards,

Raymond

Interestingly, the driver tube cathode FB is +ve at DC. Makes me nervous!!

Cheers, John Stewart

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

If you don't care about millions of kids dying in pain, it may be
best to keep quiet. Unless you really want to campaign for a cruel
world.

If you cared you would think, and if you thought you would be less
likely to contradict yourself.

As far as the Africans growing anything-they can't feed themselves
let
alone anyone else...

...Europe is smart to protect their family farms...

What, from people who can't grow anything?

President Bush has stated that the US will not move on open trade
with Africa because it would hurt the economy. How?

But Dubbya just said he'd get rid of farm subsidies if the euro
countries
got rid of theirs.
But europe won't, just like pigs can't fly, and it looks like Ds
statement
was grandstanding, to make himself look generous....

Meanwhile Oz farm subsidies largely don't exist, and we have trouble
getting produce
into the US to compete with their home grown.

Heaps of food comes from Africa to Europe, but still many projects
fail for lack of open markets. Restrictions seem to apply according
to value added, so in many cases they can't sell processed goods,
only the raw materials.

Everything is stacked against the Africans.

The little man can only do what he can, the big man
just does what he likes.

I think the whole continent should be sealed off for
thirty years, allowing for nature to do what she does best.

Like what? Sealed off how?

You would find the cost of your lifestyle would rocket, because
Africa currently contributes much more than it consumes. Electronics
(for example) would become difficult for lack of raw materials such
as tantalum and rare metals. Fruit and veg would become expensive
and seasonal again without the major southern-hemisphere suppliers.
Energy prices would increase.

I found it wiser to not answer the above line about sealing
the place off and letting "nature take its course.."
Maybe there are ppl who'd like to see all of Africa starve die of aids
or perish in the intermidable petty wars and results of government by
fools who are mostly corrupt;
but I ain't one of them.
I decided I'd be wasting my time over this non tube issue.......

Patrick Turner.

Of course it is a complicated issue, perhaps too hard for anyone to
understand completely, but we can at least make an effort.

Mozambique is worth looking at, if you want an example of how aid
can work.

You might also find it uplifting to lend a hand, perhaps via

http://www.live8live.com/whatsitabout/index.shtml

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Raymond Koonce wrote:

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

Hi west,

At great risk of fire, here's a link to an 833 amp:

Amp: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/se833nynoise.gif
PSU: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/ps833nynoise.gif

Bob D. does some interesting things with odd tubes. You should visit
his site.

He is using the 833 at a low anode voltage of only 660V,
hence there is only 16 watts of output power.
And there is no NFB, so Ro will be too high.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,

Raymond

Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

Raymond Koonce wrote:

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

Hi west,

At great risk of fire, here's a link to an 833 amp:

Amp: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/se833nynoise.gif
PSU: http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/ps833nynoise.gif

Bob D. does some interesting things with odd tubes. You should visit
his site.

Regards,

Raymond

Interestingly, the driver tube cathode FB is +ve at DC. Makes me nervous!!

The DC FB is positive FB. If the driver Ek moves +ve, so does the
input triode Ek, thus the input tube Va moves +ve and lifts the driver Ek a bit
more.

And all that BS just to avoid a coupling cap between V1a and V1b.

Normal CR coupling between V1a&b would be be fine.

Patrick Turner.

Cheers, John Stewart

Raymond Koonce

Any photos of the built amp?

http://enjoythemusic.com/nynoise2001/secondgroup.htm has a shot a short
scroll down the page. No others that I know of.

At that B+ the tube is hardly being utilized efficiently-what's the
quiescent plate dissipation vs. filament wattage?

It isn't "waste"-it improves our lives. My ultimate fantasy is to own
my very own supersonc jet fighter-yes, you can-and the feeling of
pushing the throttle through the gates to AB (or 'reheat' to Brits) is
worth however many gallons an hour you burn.

Sympathy for the Third and Fourth World is usually misplaced.

west

wrote in message
oups.com...
It isn't "waste"-it improves our lives. My ultimate fantasy is to own
my very own supersonc jet fighter-yes, you can-and the feeling of
pushing the throttle through the gates to AB (or 'reheat' to Brits) is
worth however many gallons an hour you burn.

Sympathy for the Third and Fourth World is usually misplaced.

There but for the grace of G-d, go I.
Any way, I think my fantasy is more realistic. That is to live in the
mountains (rural) with my own generated electricity to run the cabin
including tube audio and computer stuff. Solar cells are still artificially
kept at a high cost-effectiveness
west

You'd better have a lot of real estate to cover with PV cells....and
before getting sanctimonius factor in the damage from semiconductor fab
plants to make those PV cells. Solar energy is still a very marginal
source because the amount of energy used to make the cells is never
factored in. Ditto wind power. Hydro is "cost effective" because the
dam builders don't pay for the now-submerged real estate-nor would
they pay if the dam failed and the newly dry, developed flooded areas
had to be paid for.

Patrick Turner

You'd better have a lot of real estate to cover with PV cells....and
before getting sanctimonius factor in the damage from semiconductor fab
plants to make those PV cells. Solar energy is still a very marginal
source because the amount of energy used to make the cells is never
factored in. Ditto wind power. Hydro is "cost effective" because the
dam builders don't pay for the now-submerged real estate-nor would
they pay if the dam failed and the newly dry, developed flooded areas
had to be paid for.

There is never going to be **FREE** energy, ever.

And if there was, all it would do will be to allow humans to rape their
envirinment
ever more cheaply by demanding ever more from it.

So free unpolluting energy and the unlimited amount of demand in humans
will most surely doom us all since the earth cannot sustain an unlimited
number
of demanding humans.

Simply put, the man who has access to a free can of gas will buy two
chainsaws
instead of one, and cut much more wood of the forest for his cabins to
house
his second and third wives, since demand has no bounds.

The French are about to build a first nuclear fusion reactor, and if that
works,
it may give at least a lotta energy with out such a high cost or pollution,

but not straightway.....

Humans may need to genetically engineer themselves into new forms of
our species to be less egotistic, stupid, wasteful, and perhaps able to eat
their own ****e
to improve their situation which may not be so good in 3005.
Maybe aids will become more virulent, and as transmissible as the common
cold.
Maybe in 5 million years cockroaches will evolve into intelligent forms and
shove
whatever we become off the planet.

I don't give a **** about the future; it can all take care of itself.

If I live another 20 years, I reckon I will die at about the right time in
history.

I apologise in advance of this to all owners of tube gear; I won't be
around
to fix all your problems.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:56:40 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

The French are about to build a first nuclear fusion
reactor, and if that works, it may give at least a
lotta energy with out such a high cost or pollution,
but not straightway.....

Nuclear at least doesn't have the CO2 burden during
operation. Mining, etc. is a significant CO2 load,
and early on, was a net energy loss. Who could you
believe nowdays?

I don't give a **** about the future; it can all take care of itself.
If I live another 20 years, I reckon I will die at about the right time in
history.

We may very well have been blind **** house lucky enough
to have been born at exactly the best time in foreseeable
history. I'll take lucky over good any time.

Chris Hornbeck
"I met a girl, snowball in Hell; she was as hard and as cracked
as the Liberty Bell. I got her to come on and move in with me.
I said I'd find a better place we could spend eternity." -E.S.

I don't give a **** about the future; it can all take care of itself.
If I live another 20 years, I reckon I will die at about the right time in
history.

We may very well have been blind **** house lucky enough
to have been born at exactly the best time in foreseeable
history. I'll take lucky over good any time.

No, to be the age I am now in 1960 give or take a couple of years
would have been to be born at the exact best time in history. Certainly
for an American. In fact maybe even a little before that yet-Frank
Sinatra, Arthur Miller, Joe DiMaggio all hit the linen circa 1915.
America had its best days before the Vietnam debacle. Those of you in
backward nations may differ, those in more sophisticated ones also-I
consider Switzerland more sophisticated, all other English speaking
countries somewhat behind (the UK itself lost its ass after the war,
although 60s Carnaby Street Beatles London would have been
interesting...).