west

Default 833 Amp

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

The 833 is a Class B transmitting tube. The Gates/Harris BC-1 series
of broadcast transmitters uses two in push pull as a modulator-in other
words, an amplifier with a special output transformer.

Single ended you will need to run it with positive grid voltage which
is a real mess.

The Japanese guru who was behind WAVAC wrote a book and you can buy it
and get it translated if you are sufficiently motivated, but, my advice
is to recognize the laws of physics and leave the 833 alone unless you
are a broadcaster or ham with a Gates transmitter. If you insist on
building single ended amps use a low or medium mu tube needing enough
bias voltage you can swing it far, far from ground.

Patrick Turner

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

I just tried to send you a schematic but maybe it won't make it because
i can't recieve emails at the moment.

It uses 6SN7 iput, 6V6 in triode for gain, 6V6 in triode as a cathode
follower driver buffer.
No interstage tranny is needed.

Patrick Turner.

west

"west" wrote in message
news
Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

WAVAC just came out with the SH-833 mono blocks that put out 150Watts. The
SH-833 works in class A (I believe) with a KT-88 in triode mode for the
driver. Old time reviewers typically say "This amp can easily drive anything
and is the best sounding amp I ever heard, hands down. Incidentally, if you
want a SH-833, all you have to shell out is a cool $350,000. Chump change
for Fabio.
west

Fabio Berutti

I still have all my "practical engineering" doubts about these "extreme"
units: I think that it's wiser to get the most out of a certain amount of
money by placing it where it produces the maximum of positive effect. This
means that the whole system, be it the amp or the whole HiFi chain should be
checked for "weak points", and the economic effort should be devolved to
"debottlenecking". Ok, let's suppose that mr. Westley has got great LS, a
very good (tubed) DAC, a mains filter (I just use a massive 220V to 220V
isolation transformer), a good preamp and a terrific collection of CDs, but
the amp is missing, he needs 100W and he's got so much $ he even considered
the Wavac. What's the most sensible thing to do?

First: take a 1st class air ticket to
London/Berlin/St.Petersburg/Moscow/Milan/Paris and a 1st row ticket for all
the local Philarmonics. Call in at the NY Philarmonic while coming back
home. It still will cost much less than the Wavac

Second best: get any good 200W PP amp and spend the rest to do the same as
above but with economy class tickets.

Jokes apart:
A - a SE amp using an 833 poses an ENORMOUS load on the OPT (1500+V and LOTS
of DC), which means that it is very difficult and expensive to make a GOOD
OPT. "Difficult" does not mean "impossible" (this is for Mr. Patrick, I
know You can do it..) but a similarly sounding one, if made for (say) 6x
6550s in PPP, would cost (and weigh in) @ about 1/3.
B - the driver circuit for a more "viable" output tube can be much simpler
and at the good end BETTER (no need for positive grid or huge voltage swing)
C - a 500V power supply can even be regulated (if You're a maniac), a 1500V
one... well, see above, nothing's impossible, but...
D - the 833 tube itself is radio stuff: it was not meant to be linear, and I
doubt that it will sound good at 100W out without a substantial amount of
feedback. This in turn means that the "subtle nuances" that many "golden
ears" claim to hear through SE amps are lost: SE "magic", if any, is related
to INTRINSIC linearity: zero feedback, all triodes and two/three components
MAXIMUM from CD to LS. My beloved 2A3 is like this, but it only delivers
3-dot-something watts.
Briefly: I still think that something like the venerable Harman-Kardon
Citation IV (not to quote OZ ones..) is a wiser (cost-effective) way to
Audio Heaven.
Anyway, if You want to make a real beast, Patrick's project is a good
starting point. For the gain stages I'd consider using one of the (many)
triodes/pentodes like 6BM8, 6GV8 etc. : cheap as dirt and easy to get.

BTW: I'm finishing my first 100W mono-block, using SV811-10 in PP.
Unfortunately this tube is as extinct as a dodo now.

Ciao

Fabio

"west" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
"west" wrote in message
news
Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

WAVAC just came out with the SH-833 mono blocks that put out 150Watts. The
SH-833 works in class A (I believe) with a KT-88 in triode mode for the
driver. Old time reviewers typically say "This amp can easily drive
anything
and is the best sounding amp I ever heard, hands down. Incidentally, if
you
want a SH-833, all you have to shell out is a cool $350,000.

300,000 Euros? If I could live for 10 years without even drink a glass of
water, I could put'em together....

Chump change
for Fabio.
west

John Stewart

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

There are dreamers & there are doers.

How about giving us a summary of the amplifiers you have successfully built
sofar, so that we can decide if all the advice of the past few months is
going somewhere!

Good Luck, John Stewart

west

"John Stewart" wrote in message
west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience

with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

There are dreamers & there are doers.

How about giving us a summary of the amplifiers you have successfully

built
sofar, so that we can decide if all the advice of the past few months is
going somewhere!

Good Luck, John Stewart

You first Johnny.
west

west

I guess this is a prime example about RAT going down the toilet, as so many
complained. We were all discussing and many learning about the pros & cons
of an 833 amp and someone got insecure about their manhood size. I bet that
shoots the crap out of this thread. I doubt if anyone else will post anymore
info on this subject. May those who were guilty of diverting the subject to
personal prowess and those who encouraged the perpetrator wallow in their
own stench. I'm gone.
west

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article , west at

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an

amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience

with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

There are dreamers & there are doers.

How about giving us a summary of the amplifiers you have successfully

built
sofar, so that we can decide if all the advice of the past few months

is
going somewhere!

Good Luck, John Stewart

You first Johnny.
west

I don't know you or your work West, but I'd guess that John's got you beat
by a factor of 5:1. He's built a heck of a lot of (working) designs . . .

..
.

I just felt that the 833 probably wasn't a highly suitable type for
the application. There is no question they can be made to work.
Whether the finished product will perform well is open to question.
Apparently the WAVAC amp has abysmal measured performance, which means
that if it sounds good your ears are what is needing further testing,
or in your environment you didn't need a lot of amp to begin with.

west

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just felt that the 833 probably wasn't a highly suitable type for
the application. There is no question they can be made to work.
Whether the finished product will perform well is open to question.
Apparently the WAVAC amp has abysmal measured performance, which means
that if it sounds good your ears are what is needing further testing,
or in your environment you didn't need a lot of amp to begin with.

I thought you post was well written & informative. I just wondered how the
Japanese did it. WE437A input tube. A triode fitted KT-88 as a driver tube
and of course the 833 as a configuration with all the low level subtle
resolution of an SET in class A, pushing an amazing 150W. Now don't you
think that's at least interesting? If we knew something about their
techniques, I think we could all benefit. I never said that I wanted to
build such an amp, just wanted to know how it was done. There was absolutely
nothing wrong with any of the posts until John Steward once again asked me
to prove my worth to be on this Newsgroup. I don't know exactly what his
problem is besides his own insecurity. I asked him to show us what has he
done LATELY. My question is always met with silence. This tread started off
interesting until he poisoned the well and killed the flow of thought. One
need to look no further to see one of the culprits who is responsible for
RAT's present condition.
west

west wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I just felt that the 833 probably wasn't a highly suitable type for
the application. There is no question they can be made to work.
Whether the finished product will perform well is open to question.
Apparently the WAVAC amp has abysmal measured performance, which means
that if it sounds good your ears are what is needing further testing,
or in your environment you didn't need a lot of amp to begin with.

I thought you post was well written & informative. I just wondered how the
Japanese did it. WE437A input tube. A triode fitted KT-88 as a driver tube
and of course the 833 as a configuration with all the low level subtle
resolution of an SET in class A, pushing an amazing 150W.

Nobu Shishido, apparently a children's author by trade, wrote a book
shortly before he died on building single-ended (and apparently
push-pull as well) Class A amplifiers using inexpensive transmitting
tubes designed for zero bias grounded grid Class B or C RF service. I
don't have handy any curves on the 833 and I have no idea what its
biasing requirements are, but most tubes like this are designed to run
at well under rated dissipation with design B+ at zero grid voltage.
The 3-500Z is the most common "modern" (ahem) glass transmititng triode
in this category.

EIFL sells this book, I believe. Many are in the country as are many
other Japanese tube audio books, because many tube DIY gurus such as
Bender and Gizmo Rosenberg promoted buying them and they were very
chi-chi to have.

I haven't heard the WAVAC 833 amp....and truthfully have little desire
to. I have heard many single ended tube amps using 300B's, 45s, 50s,
2A3s, 211s, 845s, and about every other such tube (plus triode-strapped
and other configs of regular beam power audio tubes) and in every case
have come to the overall conclusion that while in some cases the sound
is admittedly better than the numbers suggest, when you get into music
that really does demand more than that so-called magical first watt or
two (which usually isn't anyway) with grand crescendo and percussivenes
in the lower registers, it falls apart.

That said I'm open to the possibility that single ended amps can do
good things in actively crossed-over treble and occasionally midrange
installations, with output transformers specifically developed for
performance in those bandwidths and deliberately not handling the bass
frequencies. No one is commercially producing such amps, or
transformers.

Fabio Berutti

IMHO a SE amp will deliver SE "magic" if:

- it is all made with highly linear AUDIO triodes, say 6SN7, 2A3, etc. -
distortion is INTRINSICALLY low
- it uses absolutely zero feedback unless strictly local (CF allowed) -
time/phase coherence is preserved, LS EMF is not reflected back to input
stage
- it does not require huge DC - smaller output iron, with many interleaves
and strict input/output coupling
- it does not need 200V or more of driving voltage (distortion in Class A
triode is directrly proportional to voltage swing)
- it does not need 2000V B+ - feed does not need to use series capacitors
having worse resistance.

Using a SE to deliver 100+W is a bit like using a Ferrari to transport
concrete beams. It is not impossible, but a truck would do it better.
The Wavac scheme is plain and straightforward, using a "robust" tube like
the KT88 to drive the 833 somewhere into the positive grid zone. Patrick's
scheme (and the like, the GEC scheme) is better 'cause it foresees a cathode
coupled drive; the 833 is a radio triode and it sucks POWER thru its grid,
in order to deliver it - amplified - to the load. A RC - coupled KT88,
connected from the anode side, does not provide an impedance low enough to
drive that monster to FULL swing.
Nevertheless, if I needed 100+W, I'd go for a six/eightpack of UL KT88s in
PP, with the minimum amount of feedback required. Don't use a .44M to kill
a mosquito.

Ciao

Fabio

ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...

west wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

John Stewart

west wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Settle down now Westley. My post was not meant to embarrass you but rather as a
wakeup call. You have received quite a bit of advice here on the NG from several
of us & I believe it is time for you to show us that our efforts can produce
results. Perhaps I've missed something but I have yet to see any evidence that
you have made any effort to build a vacuum tube amp. If I am mistaken then
please let me know what you have accomplished. A schematic would be nice so we
can make helpful comments. And I certainly have no objections at all about you
being here on the NG. But rather than your leaping from topic to topic, I for
one would like to see some results.

If you would like to sample my work all you need to do is look it up in past
copies of Glass Audio, AudioXpress & Electronics World. The most recent was a
major article on Norman Crowhurst's Twin Coupled Amplifier from the late 50's.
You will find it in the August 2004 Issue of AudioXpress magazine. Another
article will be published sometime later this year.

Am I insecure? Not too damned likely!

Cheers, John Stewart

In every instance when I hear a hi-fi unit that is pronounced "truly
magical" or some other nance sounding apellation, it actually is very
colored and alters the sound somehow or other. The really good stuff
allows bad recordings to sound bad and mediocre ones to stay that way
too.

All the best sounding power amplifiers use some feedback somewhere and
usually measure reasonably well, but not as good as say modern
McIntosh. A reasonable damping factor is necessary, but not an
extremely high one, and I think variable damping was a good thing with
a lot of speakers. Once you hit a passive crossover, of course, all
bets are off!

west

"Johnny Boy,
I had my own biomedical and Nuclear research business which came out with
many innovative circuits and retrofits. I have a patent pending for one of
them at this time. The sale of my business has allowed me to semi-retire at
a relatively young age. I have nothing to prove, especially to a self
appointed idiot like you. Audio is new to me although I have installed audio
and FM radio broadcast systems in a couple of churches as a donation. I have
an extra class ham ticket and a commercial FCC license. I've built your run
of the mill P/P UL amps and a few preamps that sound fine, nothing special,
nothing challenging. I asked you not to post to my threads because I believe
all you're doing is trying to flame. Why? I'm not that sure, presently. I
have nothing to prove to anyone and would be happy to discuss my work with
anyone who has a genuine interest.
You know when sometimes your overheated and can feel the sweat running down
your body? Well, not even a rivulet of perspiration running down one of my
boys, will I give you. I'm sure you can transpose using the street
vernacular. So Johnny Boy, you self appointed Narcissist, please keep your
thoughts to yourself. They are irrelevant to the topic and are meant to
humiliate.This will make twice you tried to break up this otherwise
interesting thread. You have done the same in the past to me. What would you
call someone who does this? I asked you politely in a private email so dirty
laundry wouldn't be aired on this NG and you still choose to inflame
regardless. We are all were waiting for what have you done recently. Perhaps
you were good at one time but because of reasons unknown to us at this time,
you're simply a has-been. Show us WITH THE DATES "what have you done for me
LATELY? Can you take your own medicine?

west.

Ian Iveson

"west" wrote:

I guess this is a prime example about RAT going down the toilet, as
so many
complained.

But they were wrong, every last pathetic whinging arse-licking
useless one of them. Otherwise you wouldn't have come begging here.

Can you think of any reason anyone would want to continue wasting
words on you? Only those who like having their arses licked, I
observe.

I'm gone.

Good.

er...except you haven't gone...perhaps just a last snivel on your
way out?

cheers

Ian

west

wrote in message
ups.com...
In every instance when I hear a hi-fi unit that is pronounced "truly
magical" or some other nance sounding apellation, it actually is very
colored and alters the sound somehow or other. The really good stuff
allows bad recordings to sound bad and mediocre ones to stay that way
too.

All the best sounding power amplifiers use some feedback somewhere and
usually measure reasonably well, but not as good as say modern
McIntosh. A reasonable damping factor is necessary, but not an
extremely high one, and I think variable damping was a good thing with
a lot of speakers. Once you hit a passive crossover, of course, all
bets are off!

Can't argue with those thoughts. Subjective sales fluff always turns me off.
It's ironic that WAVAC publishes and explains their specs and methodology
but with a glaring omission. That's feedback. I imagine that the amp has
some merits and perhaps an innovative circuit. One thing for sure is the
obstacle of the OPT. It must be something to behold. I wonder if such an amp
without all the exotic materials is in the realm and feasibility of some of
the more accomplished RATS. I know it's only something I can dream of. Do
you think it can be home made? What would be some of the major obstacles?
Also which MAC do you like?
west BTW: what's your handle?

John Stewart

west wrote:

[...]

Thankyou for your carefully considered response. I was trying to make pea=
ce
here.

Anyway, a list of articles I've authored & their publication dates are he=
re. Not
sure why you are asking for them now since they were sent to you in one o=
f the
private notes I sent you with other technical information you had asked f=
or. I
hope this is what you are looking for.
Cheers, John Stewart

Sunday, 15 May 2005

PUBLISHED IN AudioXpress Magazine

AX Aug/04 p12 Norman Crowhurst's Twin Coupled Amp & Beyond
AX Nov/03 p30 Amplifier Burst Testing
AX May/02 p34 THE CIRCLOTRON
AX Jul/01 p87 RESPONSE TO LETTER OF EG PETTIS
AX Jul/01 p52 THE CONSTANT CURRENT REGULATOR
AX Jun/01 p34 A DIFFERENT KIND OF LINE AMP
AX Mar/01 p84 RESPONSE TO LETTER OF R M LEES
AX Jan/01 p103 RESPONSE TO CIRCUIT OF CC WONG

PUBLISHED IN GLASS AUDIO MAGAZINE

GA 4/00 cover AN AFFORDABLE SE TRIODE AMP
GA 4/00 p62 DIFFERENT TRIODE POWER AMP LETTER
GA 2/00 p60 SE Circuit Fix
GA 5/99 p68 DRIVING LESSONS LETTER (GEORGE DAVID)
GA 5/99 p77 DELAY CIRCUIT MOD
GA 3/99 p46 AN UPDATED TRIODE POWER AMP
GA 2/99 p50 A DIFFERENT TRIODE POWER AMP
GA 1/99 p67 BALANCING HEATERS
GA 3/98 p12 Ripple Reduction in Full Wave CT Power Supplies
GA 5/97 p61 SCHEMATIC CRITIQUE

PUBLISHED IN GLASS AUDIO PROJECTS

GAP p59 SAFE BIAS & BALANCE MEASUREMENT
GAP p55 MORE POWER FOR THE AFFORDABLE SE AMP
GAP p15 THE 33 POWER AMP

PUBLISHED IN ELECTRONICS WORLD

JUN 98 p476 REDUCING POWER SUPPLY MAINS FREQUENCY RIPPLE
JUL 99 p570 TRIODE AUDIO AMPLIFIER WITH BOOTSTRAPPING

COMING SOON TO AUDIOXPRESS MAGAZINE

Norman Crowhurst's Twin Coupled Amp=85.Another Look

JOHN STEWART file- Documents/Articles Published

Rev C

west

west wrote:

[...]

Norman Crowhurst's Twin Coupled Amp..Another Look

JOHN STEWART file- Documents/Articles Published

Rev C

You certainly know how to skirt a question. I ask you for the weather and
you give me the baseball score. The question was the same one you posed to
me. Show me the PROJECTS you have done recently. When was the last time you
BUILT something (please give date). You can send an article from years ago
to the next issue of a magazine. What have you done for me lately," as the
Janet Jackson song says.
west Do you see what I meant by flame? You throw out
your garbage and the dogs come sniffing (Iverson)

Ian Iveson

west wrote:

...What have you done for me lately...

...the dogs come sniffing (Iverson)

Iveson to you, ****.

What have you *ever* done for *anybody*, parasite?

You're all washed up here, slut. You're right, it's time to go.

cheers, Ian

John Stewart

west wrote:

You certainly know how to skirt a question. I ask you for the weather and
you give me the baseball score. The question was the same one you posed to
me. Show me the PROJECTS you have done recently. When was the last time you
BUILT something (please give date). You can send an article from years ago
to the next issue of a magazine. What have you done for me lately," as the
Janet Jackson song says.
west Do you see what I meant by flame? You throw out
your garbage and the dogs come sniffing (Iverson)

The most recent project went to the publisher Audio Amateur Magazines on May
18th this year. The project was begun in mid-February of this year.

It is a 15 watt amp running PP 6V6GT's in a circuit derived from the McIntosh.
There are both fixed bias & cathode bias versions of the amp. Also, your choice
of a regulated PS or a common CLC type, both using a SS rectifier. There are
four tables of THD & individual harmonic distortion data along with plots of
IMD. Many photos of sub-assemblies, all annotated, used in it's construction.
There are eight schematics.

I did the proofing of the article & sent it back to the publisher on June 15,
2005. All up there are about 45 pages. The text on their version is double
spaced. It is a major work.

I expect it to be published sometime later this year.

Why don't you spend a buck & buy yourself some back copies of those magazines?
They are very informative, with good articles by many authors on these subjects.

See http://www.audioxpress.com

Cheers, John Stewart

Patrick Turner

west wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Do you mean that WAVAC should include NFB because they omit it?

I for one think NFB should be used with an 833.

I imagine that the amp has
some merits and perhaps an innovative circuit. One thing for sure is the
obstacle of the OPT. It must be something to behold. I wonder if such an amp
without all the exotic materials is in the realm and feasibility of some of
the more accomplished RATS.

The OPT for 833 isn't any real big deal.

One way to do 833 is to use parafeed with a couple of
10H+ chokes in series to the anode, then a Hammond OPT
of 10k : 8 ohm Z ratio can be cap coupled to the anode.
I helped a guy in the US go through all the numbers when he built one.
He had a lot of ex-navy chokes, and his 833 amp didn't cost
him anywhere near what a WAVAC will

I know it's only something I can dream of. Do
you think it can be home made? What would be some of the major obstacles?

Building one's own anything with tubes takes knowledge, practice, skills,
patience, tools,
work space, and confidence and time.

Patrick Turner.

Also which MAC do you like?
west BTW: what's your handle?

I look forward to reading your article. Did you wind your own OPT or
have one wound?

west

west wrote:

[...]

John,
I'm sorry to say I think you are getting deeper and deeper in it. Where is
the ontological proof? Although the project sounds like Newbie 101,
"Adventure With Tubes," I still don't believe you. I think you just made it
up to save face. Show us pixs and a diagram together with a draft of the
article. Talk is cheap. Save your reputation. Besides, is this the only
actual construction you have in the last several years? Show us what you
been up to besides writing.
Pixs can say 1000 words as the saying goes. Mid February? What before and
when? Thank you for obliging us and will you please answer the other
gentleman's question?
Cordially,
west

John Stewart

west wrote:

John,
I'm sorry to say I think you are getting deeper and deeper in it. Whereis
the ontological proof? Although the project sounds like Newbie 101,
"Adventure With Tubes," I still don't believe you. I think you just made it
up to save face. Show us pixs and a diagram together with a draft of the
article. Talk is cheap. Save your reputation. Besides, is this the only
actual construction you have in the last several years? Show us what you
been up to besides writing.
Pixs can say 1000 words as the saying goes. Mid February? What before and
when? Thank you for obliging us and will you please answer the other
gentleman's question?
Cordially,
west

This is getting ridiculous, but here goes.

If you would take the time please go to the following link where you willfind
me listed as one of the authors. Of the 17 articles in the referenced
publication I authored three of them.

See http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/books/bkaa62.htm

The latest article is aimed at those having moderate electronics experience,
hopefully some of it with vacuum tubes since there can be up to 400 voltsinside
the chassis. The circuit is based on the work of Norman Crowhurst in the late
50's but goes somewhat further into the subject. He used a pair of OPT's to take
the place of a single bifilar wound OPT as used in the McIntosh. All of the iron
used in this version are standard Hammond parts since my primary objective in
all my articles has been to avoid exotic or 'boutique' components. This amp can
be built for less than 200.00 USD, even while buying all the parts as newor
NOS. There are no specially selected parts, yet the performance is outstanding.
The article also describes how you can run the amp with or without full loop NFB
& get distortion results that make SET amps seem like something that justcame
off the ark!

See ABSE for a photo under the heading 'Crowhurst Amp'. There is also a spectrum
trace of the IMD.

Here is a sample of the data given in one of the four measurement results
tables-

CONDITION WATTS 2H 3H 4H 5H
THD Other

I) 6SN7GT driver cathodes 1 0.044 0.022 0.004 ~
0.056 DF = 9.59
through 2N3055 CC Source 3 0.038 0.033 ~ ~
0.056 NFB = 18 db
to –14 volts 10 0.029 0.012 ~ 0.0070.035
14 0.033 0.04 0.006 0.004 0.055

J) 6SN7GT driver cathodes 1 0.143 0.083 0.005 ~
0.145 DF = 3.75
through 29 K to –160 volts 3 0.257 0.182 0.007 0.013
0.270 NFB= Zero
Differential input circuit 10 0.486 0.054 0.010 0.051 0.470
14 0.571 0.213 0.046 0.030 0.580

The distortion measurements were taken using an HP 334A (THD) & a Pico
Technology ADC-216 (2H to 5H & IMD).

As a courtesy to the publisher I will not be posting any of the text. Forthat
you will have to wait for publication. But you can easily get some idea of the
circuit since I authored a similar article which was published in the August
2004 issue of AudioXpress magazine. Back copies are available thru their web
site at www.audioxpress.com

Hope this closes the subject for now.

Cheers to all who have put up with this BS. John Stewart

west

John,
Although You still haven't answered the question, don't act like a self anointed martyr. Remember, you struck the first blow. I checked my archives and the only thing you contributed to the rather long thread regarding crossovers, was to ask the same question about my credentials. I never asked for your help. Why is it that you complain about how much time was "spent on me?" If there is a lot of time spent on a tread, can it be because it might be somewhat interesting? I'm still getting plenty of email about that subject. So for you to thank readers for putting up with the BS, It's your BS they had to put up with. Anyone with a sharp mind can see you still haven't answers the question which asked for you to demonstrate on what projects you have BUILT lately with dates. Most of us realize why you cannot deliver. I think our readership will be able to discern that perhaps you were great in your time, but your prime time has been over for some time. I regret for what happened to this thread. I don't get involved with this sort of thing, but I was in the middle of an interesting subject and you, John, once again, ripped it apart by asking for credentials. I thought this group was open to everyone. Newbie, professional, and occasionally the dog sniffers who thrive on controversy.

west wrote:

[...]

As a courtesy to the publisher I will not be posting any of the text. For that you will have to wait for publication. But you can easily get some idea of the circuit since I authored a similar article which was published in the August 2004 issue of AudioXpress magazine. Back copies are available thru their web site at www.audioxpress.com

Hope this closes the subject for now.

Cheers to all who have put up with this BS. John Stewart

BEAR

west wrote:

Fellow Rodents,
Anyone know where to find schematics (save World Tube Audio) for an amp
utilizing the 833 transmitter tube? Perhaps you have some experience with
this tube that you might want to share? All comments welcomed.
Cordially,
west

The answer to all this crap that has been posted is something like this:

It's a tube, ergo you can build an amp around it.

There are design problems with the 833 that need to be taken into
account - therefore it's not a good newbie project. ---

Interstage transformers and similar and related methods are out there to
provide copious amounts of drive in Class 2 (grid current) situations.
Pick one or more.

You can always run the tube at reduced plate voltage and it will still
work, eh?

You can also pick easier tubes to build up, drive and run, like the 845
or 211 and get similar power levels even if you have to parallel them.

No number of 6550s or 6L6s in PP parallel will ever sound anything like
a triode, not in PP and certainly not in SE... even if you may like or
prefer their sound over triodes. A single 833 will make one heck of a
lot more power than a 2A3 or 300B, not matter what you do wrong (probably).

833s need special sockets - but you can make ur own.
833s GLOW very nicely. A plus! :- )

My feeling is this:

If you need a schematic to build an 833 amp, don't.

You can send ur extra 833s here, if you wish, I can use them for audio
or RF, both or either. :_)

(I may have forgotten something... but it doesn't really matter.)

_-_-bear

Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

west wrote:

[...]

But the builders of fine SET amps don't consider their work to be BS.

In fact they don't like PP amps with NFB.

Now if you take away the NFB including the local NFB in the OPT
arrangment
your above $200 amps the THD will be somewhat not so good, with worse
spectra
than the SET which came off the "ark", as you suggest.

There is of course no reason why the SE amp could not have some NFB
applied and thus will measure very much better.

Some ppl just enjoy the expense and danger of amps using
1,200v for the plate supply; they reckon the sound is purer,
despite a bit of 2H, usually less than 1% at normal listeing levels.

Having heard quite a few SET amps that so many other people might
condemn for
poor technical performance, I have to say that the sound is quite
excellent from most.

The fact would remain that should not upset anyone, that design
samples from Crowshurst, Williamson, Peter Walker, and McIntosh in the
west,
and all those designers of Japanese SET amps in the east do have the
ability
to delight a lotta people.

As far as I know, the Crowshurst idea with two el cheapo OPTs and which
does allow cheap sound, has been in your barrow that you push for
goodness knows
how many years.

I might add that an ordinary UL amp using a pair of KT88 PP
with a mere 16 db of global FB can produce no more than 0.1% thd
at 35 watts using one well designed OPT.
To get over twice the power at one fifth of the thd than the test
results you quote above
does cost a little more than $200, but permit most audiophiles the
luxurious
choice they make for far better overall performance, albeit at
6 times the diy price.
But the audiophiles go to even further expense per watt, and choose SET,

and although this seems ludicrous, leave them to it, they
know what they are doing.

They may be of different faiths, but they are all God's children.

Patrick Turner.

west

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

John Stewart wrote:

west wrote:

[...]

Thanks Patrick for getting this tread back on track with a very interesting
post. I don't know why so many seem almost ashamed for using feedback. Some
brag that their design uses no feedback as if it were a merit of honor. I
was impressed that you gave me a complete schematic of an 833 SE amp after
only one post. Did you just make it up or did you have it already? What
would you do besides a bigger PS to make that tube push 100 - 150 watts. Can
the OPT be purchased or has to be custom made? Thanks.
west

John Stewart

Patrick Turner wrote:

But the builders of fine SET amps don't consider their work to be BS.

In fact they don't like PP amps with NFB.

Now if you take away the NFB including the local NFB in the OPT arrangment

Did you notice one set of data I posted is with no loop NFB. Only local NFB
& that is an important property of this circuit. While in that mode the
performance it is still impressive.

A while ago we talked about how triodes have local NFB. There seems to be
some small similarity here.

your above $200 amps the THD will be somewhat not so good, with worse
spectra than the SET which came off the "ark", as you suggest.

All you say is true, of course. Looking at the measured performance I can
think of many ways of getting those kind of results from an SET circuit.

However, the point is the circuit I described can be built with excellent
results by many for only 200.00 USD.
That is not the case with an equivalent SET. I'm sure you are very aware of
that.

Remember, you will need 14 watts, DF about 4, THD less than one percent, no
loop NFB & get there while not spending more than 200.00 USD.
And take a look at the IMD trace of 60 & 7000 Hz over at ABSE. That will be
difficult to match with a low cost SET.

Good Luck, John Stewart

Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

west wrote:

[...]

The schematic is a design that I recently sent to a colleague who had a customer
who
wanted an 833 amp.
The project didn't go ahead though, which often happens
with "customer dreams."
He builds more amps than I do, but I do all his critical OPT and schematic
design work.

What
would you do besides a bigger PS to make that tube push 100 - 150 watts. Can
the OPT be purchased or has to be custom made? Thanks.

There is a pp Hammond OPT which can be used, if you settle for
parafeed. This means there is *no* need for a special OPT suited to
DC flow, which for a given power level for a given RL will have more primary.
turns and a larger but gapped core.

The Hammond is the cheap option.

Anything custom will cost more.

The 833 draws grid current, and unlike 211, 845, GM70 etc,
it can't be used in class A1, and can only run class A2.

It also has far higher Ra than the other listed tubes but it does have much
greater
gain, and is quite easy to drive in terms of voltage compared to say an 845.

So because the Ra is so high, Ra approximately = RL,
so thei would mean the Ro at the OPT sec might = 8 ohms,
and also = to the speaker load, so damping factor is a poor 1.0, approx.

Therefore NFB is essential if a flat response is required because
just about all speakers have a huge variation in Z, your saga
with your Infinitys ( dare I mention them ) surely brings home the idea
that Z varies.

The maximum efficiency of a tube like the 833 is like that of a tetrode or
pentode,
ie, about 40% maximum because of the ability of the anode to swing
negative further under grid current than other tubes
operating in class A1, where anode swing is limited by the Ra line where Eg1 =
0V.
BTW, a 6L6 can make 6 watts in triode A1, but if set up with a CF driver
it can make about 9 watts in triode class A2, almost as much as beam tetrode
mode;
nobody ever does this because the extra 3 watts costs an extra CF driver triode.

The 833 grid is biased near 0V, so all +ve grids swings draws grid current,
so hence the need for the CF buffer driver tube.
Ig1 always causes some distortion, even with a CF buffer. Its another reason for
the
NFB.

Now the 833 has a greater plate dissipation ability than most other glass
tubes, around 400watts, but i'd never run it at that sort of power without a
fan,
which is OK in a transmitter, but intolerable in a loungeroom.
But even if you did and efficiency was 40%, then you'd get only 160 watts of
power.

WAVAC get around 100 watts, do they not?
So they must be running the tube quite warm at around 250 watts.

I just keep thinking that there are not many 833 replacements around,
so why run such a "precious" tube so hard?

So ***before*** deciding on building anything like this it would be beneficial
to measure what power is needed, and this time I will not insist that you find
that
out since the last time I insisted that you measure your power requrirements and
speaker
impedance it did appear that I may have just as well insisted that the White
House
might move all by itself to Alaska ;-]

Patrick Turner.

west

Patrick Turner

John Stewart wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

But the builders of fine SET amps don't consider their work to be BS.

In fact they don't like PP amps with NFB.

Now if you take away the NFB including the local NFB in the OPT arrangment

Did you notice one set of data I posted is with no loop NFB. Only local NFB
& that is an important property of this circuit. While in that mode the
performance it is still impressive.

It would be, the local NFB is a lot of NFB.
With that removed, and then compared to the SET,
the SET is a better performer.

A while ago we talked about how triodes have local NFB. There seems to be
some small similarity here.

True, some triodes have more than others, but all have
an amount of NFB that is applied differently to any external loop we might
devise
around a beam tetrode.

your above $200 amps the THD will be somewhat not so good, with worse
spectra than the SET which came off the "ark", as you suggest.

All you say is true, of course. Looking at the measured performance I can
think of many ways of getting those kind of results from an SET circuit.

However, the point is the circuit I described can be built with excellent
results by many for only 200.00 USD.
That is not the case with an equivalent SET. I'm sure you are very aware of
that.

Remember, you will need 14 watts, DF about 4, THD less than one percent, no
loop NFB & get there while not spending more than 200.00 USD.
And take a look at the IMD trace of 60 & 7000 Hz over at ABSE. That will be
difficult to match with a low cost SET.

Measurements don't mean very much to audiophiles using SET.
They usually use such amps in their region of power where
thd/imd is at negligible levels.

As I pointed out in the rest of the post I made, SET is always going to cost
more,
but just because an amp costs $200 will not make it universally
appealing to all; in fact many audiophiles will be very suspect,
so its only the povety striken types that will build your design.
Anyone with a few $$$ and a few brain cells will see that better could be
achieved,
and its impossible to market $200 amps to some folks.

It seems irrational, but there are also no new cars on the market costing
$5,000 that are worth buying. There should be of course,
but I don't see any.

Patrick Turner.

Good Luck, John Stewart

No but people in the UK, I don't know about Australia and the UK, can
buy Japanese used cars at a colossal discount since there is an
"inspection" there that is not cost effective to perform so they scrap
or deport them. Japan is the only non-English speaking country to
persist in driving on the incorrect side of the road AFAIK, therefore
they are a RHD market. In the US having a RHD "ricer" is a status
symbol for some subcultures so they will get the dash and steering rack
from a junked domestic market car and swap them out, much cheaper than
our Nazi-like EPA and DOT bull**** to import the whole car.

I meant to say Australia and New Zealand.

Anyway, I'm surprised they just don't drive English cars there,
because they are not as bad as people think they are if you sort them
out (i.e. get rid of the Lucas garbage).

John Stewart

Patrick Turner wrote:

As far as I know, the Crowshurst idea with two el cheapo OPTs and which
does allow cheap sound, has been in your barrow that you push for goodness
knows how many years.

Yes! Goodness knows (your words) only a year & a half since I decided to
attempt this particular topology. But I'm so old I do recall the original
articles beginning in 1957. I had lost track of the circuit but got copies
of all three articles from Bill Perkins of PEARL about 12 years ago. I was
curious so I finally tried one. The results were so much better than the
many other circuits including UL of similar cost I had tried over the years.
I've recently completed the 2nd. The results again exceeded my expectations.

I might add that an ordinary UL amp using a pair of KT88 PP with a mere 16
db of global FB can produce no more than 0.1% thd
at 35 watts using one well designed OPT. To get over twice the power at
one fifth of the thd than the test
results you quote above does cost a little more than $200, but permit most
audiophiles the
luxurious choice they make for far better overall performance, albeit at
6 times the diy price. But the audiophiles go to even further expense per
watt, and choose SET,
and although this seems ludicrous, leave them to it, they know what they
are doing.

As always, we should expect that throwing money at the project should result
in some performance improvements. And they will with Crowhurst's circuit
just as they do with any other circuit you might choose. That is a sure
thing if properly executed. My articles are directed to ordinary folks who
may not have thousands of dollars to gamble on a home built circuit that may
fail & possibly kill them as a bonus. The money & effort available needs to
be evenly spread over the whole sound system, not just the amplifier.

But if it makes you feel more secure to criticize Crowhurst's work, please
do. At times your arguments don't even make sense but I read them anyway!

They may be of different faiths, but they are all God's children.

Patrick Turner.

BTW, my earlier reference to BS had absolutely nothing to do with SET amps
as you have erroneously reported. Those are your words. Better go back &
carefully read what I said. Not sure how you managed to read that into the
thread. I was referring to the seeming inability of Westley to comprehend my

Cheers, John Stewart

John Stewart

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

That simply moves the problem from the OPT to the choke. Any choke used will need to
be properly gapped & be free from parasitic resonances. Don't bother trying a PS
choke.
JLS