Scott Dorsey

Default Sony Repair Suggestions

Lazarus wrote:

At this location on the PCB you will see one or two small screws which are
variable resistors.....turn them until your current discs play

But be warned you may now have problems with your older discs!

No. This is a very bad idea.
There is an actual procedure in the service manual for doing an alignment.
It's not all that hard, and all you need is a reference disc and a scope.

William Sommerwerck

If you change the machine to play the current discs your 300 old ones will
no longer play.

CDs are crap nowadays and are not as thick as they used to be.

Where did you come up with this garbage?

CDs have a standardized thickness. Furthermore, there is a tracking servo that
keeps the laser focused, regardless of slight variations in thickness.

Marc Wielage

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:47:47 -0700, Peter wrote
(in message et):

Sony Factory Service refused to repair my 1991 top-of-the-line CDP-X777ES CD
player because they claim they have no parts anymore...
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

A friend of mine told me this week he heard that Sony is going to let
something like a million bucks' worth of parts in their inventory go out of
stock, mainly for tax reasons and other related problems.

As far as your player goes, it is true that getting anything fixed over 7
years old is a problem -- since legally, the manufacturer only has to carry
parts for 7 years after a model has been discontinued.

The 777 had a helluva good transport for its time, and the higher-end ES
players are built like tanks. I'd hunt around until you can find a good
independent service shop who's willing to at least check the laser alignment.
It may only need a cleaning, a lube job, and a small bit of alignment to be
good as new.

--MFW

William Sommerwerck

A friend of mine told me this week he heard that Sony is going
to let something like a million bucks' worth of parts in their
inventory go out of stock, mainly for tax reasons and other
related problems.

If so, this is a break with Sony's policy. I had been told by the head of their
parts division that they never threw out parts.

GMAN

In article , "Lazarus" wrote:
If you change the machine to play the current discs your 300 old ones will
no longer play.

What hokey are you smoking?

CDS are crap nowadays and are not as thick as they used to be.

If you want to play the current cds and are willing to take the chance that
it wont play your old cds you can adjust the focus of the laser yourself.

Open the machine and follow the ribbon cable from the laser pick up assembly
to the PCB where it plugs in.

At this location on the PCB you will see one or two small screws which are
variable resistors.....turn them until your current discs play

But be warned you may now have problems with your older discs!

Sony and others will not admit it but thats why they refused to fix
it....what you ask is basically very very difficult to do on an older
machine

Anything older than 12 months these days is "old"

"Peter" wrote in message
ink.net...
Sony Factory Service refused to repair my 1991 top-of-the-line CDP-X777ES

CD
player because they claim they have no parts anymore, this despite the

fact
that over the phone they had assured me that they did indeed have parts

for
the CD Player and based on that I had sent it to their San Diego,
California, Service Center. The problem is that the CD Player refuses to
recognize a few new CDs that are playable on all other CD Players. It

plays
about 300 other CDs without any problems.

Hence I am wondering if anyone might know of a very "reputable" and
"reliable" repair service that would be willing to help me? I do not care
where it might be within the USA.

Thanks in advance for your possible recommendations.

Mark D. Zacharias

Seven years is not required now, if it ever really was. They are only
required to support the product for the duration of the warranty period, and
this can include just replacing the product with a refurb or "equivalent"
model.

Mark Z.

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
[...]

William Sommerwerck

Seven years is not required now, if it ever really was.
They are only required to support the product for the
duration of the warranty period, and this can include
just replacing the product with a refurb or "equivalent"
model.

NOT SO.

A few years back, manufacturers were legally obliged to stock electrical parts
for 10 years, mechanical for 7, and cosmetic for 5 (or was it 3). What the law
currently is, I don't know.

Mark A

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Seven years is not required now, if it ever really was.
They are only required to support the product for the
duration of the warranty period, and this can include
just replacing the product with a refurb or "equivalent"
model.

NOT SO.

A few years back, manufacturers were legally obliged to stock electrical

parts
for 10 years, mechanical for 7, and cosmetic for 5 (or was it 3). What the

law
currently is, I don't know.

What jurisdiction is that? Is that federal, state (which state)? What if a
company goes out of business? Do you have a reference?

William Sommerwerck

A few years back, manufacturers were legally obliged to stock
electrical parts for 10 years, mechanical for 7, and cosmetic
for 5 (or was it 3?). What the law currently is, I don't know.

What jurisdiction is that? Is that federal, state (which state)?

Federal.

What if a company goes out of business?

There would be no entity the law could be enforced against.

Do you have a reference?

No, but the head of Sony parts confirmed this seven or eight years ago.

Mark A

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
A few years back, manufacturers were legally obliged to stock
electrical parts for 10 years, mechanical for 7, and cosmetic
for 5 (or was it 3?). What the law currently is, I don't know.

What jurisdiction is that? Is that federal, state (which state)?

Federal.

What if a company goes out of business?

There would be no entity the law could be enforced against.

Do you have a reference?

No, but the head of Sony parts confirmed this seven or eight years ago.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about company policy? I have never heard of
such a thing, unless it is during the warranty period. What kind of products
does this cover?

William Sommerwerck

Do you have a reference?

No, but the head of Sony parts confirmed this seven or eight years ago.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about company policy? I have never
heard of such a thing, unless it is during the warranty period. What
kinds of products does this cover?

AFAIK, it's the law. It covers just about everything. Manufacturers are not
allowed to immediately "abandon" discontinued products.

Some years ago Sony told me they would not repair items more than ten years
after their official discontinuance, even if they had the parts. I wouldn't be
surprised if that interval were now down to seven, or even five years.

Sony is like most Japanese companies doing business in the US. They aren't much
interested in long-term customer satisfaction, especially when it comes to
supplying reasonably priced service parts.

If you like, I'll ask the "parts honcha" at Sony exactly what current policy is.