Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Futurology and Madam Olga

Futurology and Madam Olga

Posted by Bob on April 25, 2010 at 6:00 am

"I have said repeatedly that Futurology has nothing to do with the future. That is a result of Mantra Thinking: Why is information produced? Futurology is entirely based on what TODAY’s editors and foundations want to see happen and what today’s readers want to read about.

The greatest combination of scientific and social knowledge, genius,
and good sense in the middle of the eighteenth century was Benjamin
Franklin. He invented all the basic terms we use for electricity,
battery, positive and negative and others. He was in at the beginning
of the force which would transform the new century.

Franklin also said that electricity was a study of a phenomenon which
should be known. He added that the one thing he was sure of was that
it would never have any practical use. He said that right up until he
died in 1790.

Not unusually, Franklin had an eye for the future EXCEPT in the area
in which he was expert. This is so common I consider it to be a rule,
whose few exceptions prove the rule.

An expert has an exact idea where his field is and where it is going.
Sudden changes, like the development of practical chemical batteries
and alternating current generation, catch them by surprise right in
the middle of their theorizing about how things will progress. Edison
died an opponent of AC.

Bill Gates flatly predicted that we would NEVER need more than a
megawatt in a home computer. That’s the wrong exact number but I don’t
want to try to find the quote again.

You can tell when a science fiction book was written while reading it.
You can tell when a Futurology book was written when you read it. You
can tell when a history book was written when you read it. That should
tell you how much these writers about the future know about the real
future.

But remember, unlike most writers, these are people who get published
and who get paid. Their information is PRODUCED. They are paid because
they are experts on the field as it is NOW, They appeal to readers who
read NOW.

We see Experts as totally out of the class of fortunetellers at the
fair because the Experts really do know a lot. But when it comes to
the future, they are in exactly the same business. The Crystal Ball in
the tent tells you what sounds reasonable to you. It tells you what
you want to hear. It gives dire warnings about things you already
understand.

That is exactly what the Experts do when they turn to the Future.

Only mavericks and heretics have ever been right about what is to
come."

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/2...olga/#comments
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 25, 4:28*pm, Bret L wrote:
[...]

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/2...y-and-madam-ol...

Is this another article we "needed" to see? Honestly, I think you lack
the filter that helps normal people differentiate between what is
important and what is not. Or, as Tyler Durden/The Narrator said in
Fight Club, "Or maybe you shouldn't bring me every little piece of
trash you happen to pick up."
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Bratzi, the gutless coward

Earlier this week, Brett made the following claims:

"The total output of man is dwarfed by natural actions like gas
seepage and volcanic eruptions. It's certain that Krakatoa equalled
all the emissions of the twentieth century and then some."

To which, I asked:

The total output of man is dwarfed by natural actions like gas
seepage and volcanic eruptions.

**Really? Prove it. (This'll be fun) You really are a moron.

It's certain that Krakatoa equalled
all the emissions of the twentieth century and then some.

**Really? Prove it.

Thus far, we have been presented with deafening silence. One can only assume
that Brett is a gutless coward, or an idiot. He has either realised that his
statements are bogus, or he has been unable to verify the accuracy of his
statements.

Which is it, Brett? Are you an idiot, or a gutless coward?

I'm betting both.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Thus far, we have been presented with deafening silence. One can only assume
that Brett is a gutless coward, or an idiot. He has either realised that his
statements are bogus, or he has been unable to verify the accuracy of his
statements.

Which is it, Brett? Are you an idiot, or a gutless coward?

I'm betting both.

No one cares about this nonsense. The people who are big on Global
Warming just want a tool to be communists and anti-industrial punks. I
don't give a **** about Global Warming. All GW would do IN A WORST
CASE SCENARIO is make real estate I own a lot more valuable.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Bret L" wrote in message

Thus far, we have been presented with deafening silence. One can only
assume
that Brett is a gutless coward, or an idiot. He has either realised that
his
statements are bogus, or he has been unable to verify the accuracy of his
statements.

Which is it, Brett? Are you an idiot, or a gutless coward?

I'm betting both.

No one cares about this nonsense.

**Wrong. On two counts:

1) You lied about the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes. You have yet to
acknowledge your lie.
2) A great many people care about your lies.

The people who are big on Global
Warming just want a tool to be communists and anti-industrial punks.

**Wrong. The people who accept the science behind global warming, understand
science. The religious nutters who deny the science are, well, religious
nutters.

don't give a **** about Global Warming.

**Of course. You are a moron. You do not understand the science.

All GW would do IN A WORST
CASE SCENARIO is make real estate I own a lot more valuable.

**You are in the minority.

Now, here is the stuff you have steadfastly failed to respond to (your
claims about CO2 emissions from volcanoes):

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 26, 3:30*pm, Bret L wrote:
Thus far, we have been presented with deafening silence. One can only assume
that Brett is a gutless coward, or an idiot. He has either realised that his
statements are bogus, or he has been unable to verify the accuracy of his
statements.

Which is it, Brett? Are you an idiot, or a gutless coward?

I'm betting both.

*No one cares about this nonsense. The people who are big on Global
Warming just want a tool to be communists and anti-industrial punks. I
don't give a **** about Global Warming. All GW would do IN A WORST
CASE SCENARIO is make real estate I own a lot more valuable.

You don't own any ****ing real estate.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 26, 9:47*pm, Boon wrote:
On Apr 26, 3:30*pm, Bret L wrote:

Thus far, we have been presented with deafening silence. One can only assume
that Brett is a gutless coward, or an idiot. He has either realised that his
statements are bogus, or he has been unable to verify the accuracy of his
statements.

Which is it, Brett? Are you an idiot, or a gutless coward?

I'm betting both.

*No one cares about this nonsense. The people who are big on Global
Warming just want a tool to be communists and anti-industrial punks. I
don't give a **** about Global Warming. All GW would do IN A WORST
CASE SCENARIO is make real estate I own a lot more valuable.

You don't own any ****ing real estate.

Do you have any idea what a beachfront trailer is worth? Now take that
number and apply it to a double-wide.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Apr 26, 10:50*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:47*pm, Boon wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:30*pm, Bret L wrote:

Thus far, we have been presented with deafening silence. One can only assume
that Brett is a gutless coward, or an idiot. He has either realised that his
statements are bogus, or he has been unable to verify the accuracy of his
statements.

Which is it, Brett? Are you an idiot, or a gutless coward?

I'm betting both.

*No one cares about this nonsense. The people who are big on Global
Warming just want a tool to be communists and anti-industrial punks. I
don't give a **** about Global Warming. All GW would do IN A WORST
CASE SCENARIO is make real estate I own a lot more valuable.

You don't own any ****ing real estate.

Do you have any idea what a beachfront trailer is worth? Now take that
number and apply it to a double-wide.

he is hoping his Bakerfield trailer park will be the new west coast.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,

wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:47*pm, Boon wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:30*pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

I played a gig yesterday in Bakersfield. Actually an interesting town,
except for the sky never being blue, and the huge summer heat.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 26, 11:00�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:47�pm, Boon wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:30�pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

It's very nice around the edges, where the newer neighborhoods are.
The closer you get to the center, the more it resembles hell. But at
least it isn't San Bernardino.