Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default What War with Iran Means

What War with Iran Means

By Patrick J. Buchanan

"Diplomacy has failed," Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., told AIPAC, "Iran is on the verge of becoming nuclear and we cannot afford that." [VIDEO]

"We have to contemplate the final option," said Sen. Evan Bayh, D-
Ind., "the use of force to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear
weapon."

War is a "terrible thing," said Sen. Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., but
"sometimes it is better to go to war than to allow the Holocaust to
develop a second time."

Graham then describes the war we Americans should fight:

"If military force is ever employed, it should be done in a decisive
fashion. The Iran government's ability to wage conventional war
against its neighbors and our troops in the region should not exist.
They should not have one plane that can fly or one ship that can
float."

Danielle Pletka of the American Enterprise Institute, Neocon Central,
writes, "The only questions remaining, one Washington politico tells
me, are who starts it, and how it ends." [Iran Sanctions Are Failing.
What's Next?, WSJ, March 31, 2010]

As to who starts it, we know the answer. Teheran has not started a war
in memory and is not going to launch a suicide attack on a superpower
with thousands of nuclear weapons. As with Iraq in 2003, the war will
be launched by the United States against a nation that did not attack
us—to strip it of weapons it does not have.

But to Graham's point, if we are going to start this war, prudence
dictates that we destroy Iran's ability to fight back. At a minimum,
we would have to use airstrikes and cruise missiles to hit a range of
targets.

First, Iran's nuclear facilities such as the uranium enrichment plant
at Natanz, the U.S.-built reactor that makes medical isotopes, the
power plant at Bushehr, the centrifuge facility near Qom and the heavy
water plant at Arak.

Our problem here is that the last three are not even operational and
all are subject to U.N. inspections. There are Russians at Bushehr.
And there is no evidence that diversion to a weapons program has taken
place.

If Iran has secret plants working on nuclear weapons, why have we not
been told where, and demanded that U.N. inspectors be let in? Why did
16 U.S. intelligence agencies, three years ago, tell us they did not
exist and Iran gave up its drive for a nuclear weapon in 2003?

If Iran is on the "verge" of a bomb, as Schumer claims, the entire
U.S. intelligence community should be decapitated for incompetence.

This week, in a hyped headline, "CIA: Iran capable of producing
nukes," the Washington Times said that a new CIA report claims, "Iran
continues to develop a range of capabilities that could be applied to
producing nuclear weapons, if a decision is made to do so."

Excuse me, but this is mush. We could say the same of a dozen
countries that use nuclear power and study nuclear technology.

But let us continue with Graham's blitzkrieg war.

To prevent a counterattack, the United States would have to take out
Iran's 14 airfields and all its warplanes on the ground. We would also
have to sink every warship and submarine in Iran's navy and destroy
some 200 missile, patrol and speedboats operated by the Revolutionary
Guard, else they would be dropping mines and mauling our warships.

Also, it would be crucial on day one to hit Iran's launch sites and
missile plants for, like Saddam in 1991, Iran would probably attack
Israel, to make it an American and Israeli war on an Islamic republic.

Among other critical targets would be the Silkworm anti-ship missile
sites on Iran's coastline that would menace U.S. warships and oil
tankers transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Any Iranian attack on ships
or seeding of mines would likely close the gulf and send world oil
prices soaring.

Revolutionary Guard barracks, especially the Quds Force near Iraq,
would have to be hit to slow troop movement to and across the border
into Iraq to kill U.S. soldiers and civilians. The same might be
necessary against Iranian troops near Afghanistan.

With Iran's ally Hezbollah in south Beirut, all U.S. civilians should
probably be pulled out of Lebanon before an attack lest they wind up
dead or hostages. And how safe would Americans be in the gulf,
especially Bahrain, home of the U.S. Fifth Fleet, a predominantly Shia
island?

And whose side would Shia Iraq take?

Would we have to intern all Iranian nationals in the United States, as
we did Germans and Italians in 1941? How many terror attacks on soft
targets in the USA could we expect from Iranian and Hezbollah agents
in reprisal for our killing thousands of civilians in hundreds of
strikes on Iran?

Before the War Party stampedes us into yet another war, the Senate
should find out if Teheran is really on the "verge" of getting a bomb,
and why deterrence, which never failed us, cannot succeed with Iran."

http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/100401_war_with_iran.htm
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 4, 6:50*pm, Bret L wrote:

Oh, and a necrophiliac.

A verbose, moronic, pudwhacking necrophiliac.

Did I miss anything?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 4, 7:11*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Apr 4, 6:50*pm, Bret L wrote:

Oh, and a necrophiliac.

A verbose, moronic, pudwhacking necrophiliac.

Did I miss anything?

Autism. Full-blown autism.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Apr 4, 6:50*pm, Bret L wrote:

Oh, and a necrophiliac.

A verbose, moronic, pudwhacking necrophiliac.

Did I miss anything?

Autism. Full-blown autism.

No wonder 2pid likes him.