Posted to rec.audio.pro
D.M. Procida D.M. Procida is offline

Default Tape mould

To my dismay I've discovered that some of the tapes I've had stored for
15 years have some mould on them.

The mould seems to be only on the edges, not on the surface.

What's the best way to treat this? It's just a few light dots of mould,
not a thick carpet of it.

Daniele
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

D.M. Procida wrote:

The mould seems to be only on the edges, not on the surface.

What's the best way to treat this? It's just a few light dots of mould,
not a thick carpet of it.

Don't worry about it. Try to play the tape. Don't forget to clean the
heads afterward (and often).

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

What's the best way to treat this? It's just a few light dots of mould,
not a thick carpet of it.

Don't worry about it. Try to play the tape. Don't forget to clean the
heads afterward (and often).

Thanks, it seemed to come off quite nicely.

Daniele
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joanas McSwain wrote:

What's the best way to treat this? It's just a few light dots of mould,
not a thick carpet of it.

I had a similar problem and used a lint free cloth soaked in alcohol wedged
in between the left tension roller and the head stack.
Keep soaking the cloth, and change it once in a while.
Also keep cleaning things.

A single pass on fast forward took it all off. There was very little.

BTW this also works for squealing tapes.

A hell of a lot easier than 456 tape goo

What about 457 - does this have a liquification problem too?

Daniele
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Joanas McSwain wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:51:07 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

What's the best way to treat this? It's just a few light dots of mould,
not a thick carpet of it.

Don't worry about it. Try to play the tape. Don't forget to clean the
heads afterward (and often).

Thanks, it seemed to come off quite nicely.

Daniele

I had a similar problem and used a lint free cloth soaked in alcohol wedged
in between the left tension roller and the head stack.

Might not be a good idea on very old tapes (c1955 - 1960), I seem to
remember part of the coating was alcohol-soluble (sorry I can't be more
specific). Test it first on a bit of the tape that doesn't matter.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

D.M. Procida wrote:
Joanas McSwain wrote:

What's the best way to treat this? It's just a few light dots of mould,
not a thick carpet of it.

I had a similar problem and used a lint free cloth soaked in alcohol wedged
in between the left tension roller and the head stack.
Keep soaking the cloth, and change it once in a while.
Also keep cleaning things.

A single pass on fast forward took it all off. There was very little.

If you care about the tape over the long term, put it in the freezer for
about six months to kill any remaining mold..

BTW this also works for squealing tapes.

A hell of a lot easier than 456 tape goo

It works for SOME kinds of squealing tapes, but it won't work on sticky
shed issues like 456 has.

What about 457 - does this have a liquification problem too?

457 has the same coating and binder as 456, just a thinner base. When they
figured out that the urethane binder was unstable in the late 1980s, they
changed the binder chemistry so more recent batches of 456/457 won't go
gooey. Still, there is a lot of old tape out there and it's all turning
to goo. In the meantime, 641 tape from the 1950s is all still fine.