Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

Default anyone heard of sanyo P5 turntable

Has anyone heard of a sanyo p5 direct drive turntable, I have one i picked
up from a garage sale for free, it has no needle but the table spins at
correct speed, not sure if it is worth getting a needle and probably
cartridge for though, can't find any info whatsoever on the internet, it's
as if it does not exist. It is a compact unit but quite heavy, a lot heavier
than 2 more old sony and kenwood direct drive turntables.
See my turntable here http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70425659

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

kiwianalog wrote:
Has anyone heard of a sanyo p5 direct drive turntable, I have one i
picked up from a garage sale for free, it has no needle but the table
spins at correct speed, not sure if it is worth getting a needle and
probably cartridge for though, can't find any info whatsoever on the
internet, it's as if it does not exist. It is a compact unit but
quite heavy, a lot heavier than 2 more old sony and kenwood direct
drive turntables.
See my turntable here http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70425659

It's going to need a headshell and a cartridge. Also, linear tracking types
don't age that gracefully, it very possibly needs work involving the
mechanism which moves the arm (lubrication and a small belt, probably) in
addition to the general maintenance that turntables usually need.
Lubrication of moving parts, new drive belt if it uses one, cleaning '
lubricating any speed controls, etc.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

It's going to need a headshell and a cartridge. Also, linear tracking types
don't age that gracefully,

Look again Mark, it is a standard tone arm assembly, one that looks to
be less heavy than early japanese designs.

Mark Z.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

It's going to need a headshell and a cartridge. Also, linear tracking

types
don't age that gracefully,

Look again Mark, it is a standard tone arm assembly, one that looks to
be less heavy than early japanese designs.

Mark Z.

Peter Larsen

Thanks, I was very doubtful about what mark said, thanks for confirming
that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Peter Larsen wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

It's going to need a headshell and a cartridge. Also, linear
tracking types don't age that gracefully,

Look again Mark, it is a standard tone arm assembly, one that looks to
be less heavy than early japanese designs.

Mark Z.

Peter Larsen

Oh, Man! I should really drink some coffee BEFORE reading this stuff!

There is a chance the table will play "as-is" once a headshell and cartridge
are fitted - the OP should at least try to ascertain the running condition
before investing in any parts.

Apologies...

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

It's going to need a headshell and a cartridge. Also, linear
tracking types don't age that gracefully,

Look again Mark, it is a standard tone arm assembly, one that looks
to be less heavy than early japanese designs.

Mark Z.

Peter Larsen

Thanks, I was very doubtful about what mark said, thanks for
confirming that.

Sorry about that - the styling is similar to many linear tracking types, and
I just didn't look close enough.

mz

Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
et...
Peter Larsen wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

It's going to need a headshell and a cartridge. Also, linear
tracking types don't age that gracefully,

Look again Mark, it is a standard tone arm assembly, one that looks to
be less heavy than early japanese designs.

Mark Z.

Peter Larsen

Oh, Man! I should really drink some coffee BEFORE reading this stuff!

There is a chance the table will play "as-is" once a headshell and

cartridge
are fitted - the OP should at least try to ascertain the running condition
before investing in any parts.

Apologies...

Mark Z.

No worries mate. The running condition of the turntable appears good but I
would like to have a rough idea of what the quality of this model is suppose
to be before spending money on it, I have 3 turntables, all need new
cartridge and stylus, but I only want to buy for one of them.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

Oh, Man! I should really drink some coffee BEFORE reading this stuff!

Not to worry, it was a mistake that seems to have been intended by the
designer.

Mark Z.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Peter Larsen wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

[...]

Well, the quality looks average - but I don't know your requirements or what
the other turntables are...

Generically speaking, if one of them was direct-drive, this would be
preferable, all other things being equal. Cheaper models often used little
DC motors, which do fail over time.

Turntables of this vintage often require general maintenance before you can
put them back into regular use. Speed-adjust potentiometers (internal or
external user-type) often need cleaning, as do speed select switches.
Belts of course go bad, and some well-placed oil at the moving parts is a
good idea. (Main bearing, mechanical linkages and sliding surfaces, motor
shaft, and the like).

Mark Z.