Posted to rec.audio.tech
hotmeat hotmeat is offline

Default Can't select Digidesign ASIO driver in XP

Here's what I have:

Relatively new computer with XP, Digi 001 connected, installed the
latest ASIO drivers from the Digidesign website (Audio drivers 7.0 and
ASIO 6.1.1), rebooted. Digi 001 now shows up in Device Manager under
sound devices. It says the device is working properly.

However, when I go to Sounds and Audio devices under Control Panel, the
Digi is not an option. When I try to select the ASIO from Samplitude (I
don't use Pro Tools) it says Loading Failed, Bad Device. I tried
disabling the soundcard that came with the system (RealTek 97 or
something like that) and now the menus in Sounds and Audio are grayed
out.

Does anyone know how I can get the ASIO going? Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

hotmeat wrote:
Here's what I have:

Relatively new computer with XP, Digi 001 connected, installed the
latest ASIO drivers from the Digidesign website (Audio drivers 7.0 and
ASIO 6.1.1), rebooted. Digi 001 now shows up in Device Manager under
sound devices. It says the device is working properly.

However, when I go to Sounds and Audio devices under Control Panel,
the Digi is not an option. When I try to select the ASIO from
Samplitude (I don't use Pro Tools) it says Loading Failed, Bad
Device. I tried disabling the soundcard that came with the system
(RealTek 97 or something like that) and now the menus in Sounds and
Audio are grayed out.

Does anyone know how I can get the ASIO going? Thanks in advance.

You can't select ASIO 'anything' in the MS Mapper. You select an ASIO
dricver directly from the supporting application.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
hotmeat hotmeat is offline

Well, you CAN select the Digidesign Digi 001 (I believe with 4
different options for each set of channels) from the MS Sound and Audio
Devices app, and you have to if that's where you want your sound to
output. It does not give me the Digi as an option even though the Digi
appears to be recognized and working in Device Manager.

I tried selecting ASIO/Digi in Samplitude but it fails. Which doesn't
surprise me since it isn't in the system sound options itself.

We tested the cable and there's nothing wrong with it. The Phantom and
power lights appear on the Digi box. The Digi option should be there
even if I don't have the box connected, right? I don't recall.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Geoff wrote:
hotmeat wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

hotmeat wrote:
Well, you CAN select the Digidesign Digi 001 (I believe with 4
different options for each set of channels) from the MS Sound and
Audio Devices app, and you have to if that's where you want your
sound to output. It does not give me the Digi as an option even
though the Digi appears to be recognized and working in Device
Manager.

I tried selecting ASIO/Digi in Samplitude but it fails. Which doesn't
surprise me since it isn't in the system sound options itself.

We tested the cable and there's nothing wrong with it. The Phantom
and power lights appear on the Digi box. The Digi option should be
there even if I don't have the box connected, right? I don't recall.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Normally when you install drivers for a device it will install both ASIO (if
supported) and WDM Windows drivers. The WDM drivers are the only ones you
will see in the Sounds and Audio Devices panel, and are the only ones most
(non-ASIO) apps can see. You generally select ASIO drivers directly from the
supporting \application.

That there is no WDM driver visible, and the ASIO doesn't seem to work
suggests to me that the driver install might have not completed correctly.

Or is the Digi 001 box not normally available to non-Digi applications ?
Wouldn't surprise me given their normal restrictive business model....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
hotmeat hotmeat is offline

Normally when you install drivers for a device it will install both ASIO (if
supported) and WDM Windows drivers. The WDM drivers are the only ones you
will see in the Sounds and Audio Devices panel, and are the only ones most
(non-ASIO) apps can see. You generally select ASIO drivers directly from the
supporting \application.

On my previous computer, in Sounds and Audio it would show me
Digidesign Digi 001 and another option for the factory installed
soundcard (what you mean by WDM?). Yes, you do choose whether to use
ASIO in third-party apps, but they wouldn't work if the setting in
Sounds and Audio didn't match. So, I can select ASIO in my tracking
program, but since there isn't even that option on the system end, it
gives me an error message.

That there is no WDM driver visible, and the ASIO doesn't seem to work
suggests to me that the driver install might have not completed correctly.

I disabled the factory installed audio driver over the course of
troubleshooting and so that's why I say the option was grayed out.
Enabled or no, it still won't let me use the Digi. The install process
was flawless. I also tried uninstalling, rebooting, swiitching the
soundcard to another PCI slot so it recognized it as a new device,
reinstalled the driver, had no problems, said it was
successful....still, nothing.

Or is the Digi 001 box not normally available to non-Digi applications ?
Wouldn't surprise me given their normal restrictive business model....

You can use the box with any other program that supports ASIO - you
just can't use ProTools software with anything other than Digidesign
hardware. I'm wondering if the soundcard or box are damaged somehow -
though there's no real indication that they are.. Or my new PC is
incompatible somehow. besides wiping my PC and loading a fresh copy of
XP, I can't think of anything else to do except try installing it on a
friend's computer....or finding someone with a Dgii 001 who would let
me switch out the hardware to troubleshoot.

Anything else I could try before I go through all that?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
hotmeat hotmeat is offline

Interesting...I just got a message saying the driver for the Digi 001
was preventing the computer from going into standby...not related to my
problem, but perhaps a clue? Try rolling back to an older driver maybe?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

hotmeat wrote:
Normally when you install drivers for a device it will install both
ASIO (if supported) and WDM Windows drivers. The WDM drivers are
the only ones you will see in the Sounds and Audio Devices panel,
and are the only ones most (non-ASIO) apps can see. You generally
select ASIO drivers directly from the supporting \application.

On my previous computer, in Sounds and Audio it would show me
Digidesign Digi 001 and another option for the factory installed
soundcard (what you mean by WDM?).
Yes, you do choose whether to use
ASIO in third-party apps, but they wouldn't work if the setting in
Sounds and Audio didn't match. So, I can select ASIO in my tracking
program, but since there isn't even that option on the system end, it
gives me an error message.

WDM is a Windows Driver Model driver. Windows does noty itself sopprt ASIO
drivers, and will never be listed as an option in the Control Panel device
selector.

[...]

May be something from the disabling that you did. Most unlikely card crook,
pc incompatibilty (though vaguely possible - try another PCI slot preferably
not adjacent to AGP slot). Reinstalling XP would be like an engine change to
cure a flat tyre.

I suggest you uninstall all the Digi drivers and software, remove the device
from Device Manager, and physically remove the card. Then do a re-boot
cycle without the Digi, checking no traces remaining on the computer. Then
shut down and start fresh.

But