Gregg Jones

Default PT to DP3 and back

I have DP3 and not Pro Tools. I've never even seen Pro Tools run. I need
to work on some tracks recorded with PT in my studio. I understand that
DP3 can import/export sessions via OMF (whatever that is). I also
understand that Pro Tools can do the same. Has anyone tried importing an
OMF file from PT to DP and vice versa? Does it work? If so, what do i
need to tell the engineer at the PT studio so that he can create files i
can process in DP3?

Thanks,

Gregg

Buster Mudd

Gregg Jones wrote in message ...
I have DP3 and not Pro Tools. I've never even seen Pro Tools run. I need
to work on some tracks recorded with PT in my studio. I understand that
DP3 can import/export sessions via OMF (whatever that is). I also
understand that Pro Tools can do the same. Has anyone tried importing an
OMF file from PT to DP and vice versa? Does it work? If so, what do i
need to tell the engineer at the PT studio so that he can create files i
can process in DP3?

I do a lot of sessions that get started in Pro Tools & migrate to DP
for overdubbing & mixing, and I've never even bothered with OMF; I
just import the audio files (or drag'n'drop them) into DP's SoundBites
window. Note that this is usually before any editing has taken place;
if the tracking engineer has done rough comps or any kind of editing
or automation that you want to preserve, this method won't work for
you.

But the most important thing you can tell the engineer at the PT
studio is DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT! Make sure they name those audio
files in a clear, logical, intuitive way, and then confirm that naming
convention with explicit (and copious) notes. Leave no mysteries!
aaronmerrill

Buster Mudd wrote:

[...]

I actually have sessions go between the two all of the time and use OMF quite a bit. It's pretty easy to "export as" OMF either from ProTools or DP. When exporting OMF's from ProTools, they don't give very many options, and so it's pretty straight forward - but with DP you have several options, and in those cases I generally uncheck most of the boxes like "export fades as effects"...etc. Because I like to just have the raw pieces put into the timeline as apposed to having the fades done for me - that way I can have more control over the fades. But yeah, just have your guy use the OMF Tool utility that came with ProTools and just simply do an "Export to OMF" and it very easily goes right in to DP. DP is great at importing OMF files.

----------
Sent via SPRACI - http://www.spraci.net/ - Parties,Raves,Clubs,Festivals

Ted Spencer

just have your guy use the OMF Tool utility that came with ProTools and just
simply do an "Export to OMF" and it very easily goes right in to DP. DP is
great at importing OMF files.

BRBR

Uhh...no. The latest revision of OMF Tool was v2.0.8 (in 1999) and will only
allow importing OMF files into PT, not exporting from it. To export OMF from PT
you need DigiTranslator which is quite pricey, and you must have DT v2.x to go
24 bit.

DT 2.x software includes Pro Tools 5.1.3, which is identical to 5.1.1 except
for the integration of DigiTranslator's capabilities into it (DT 1.0 was a
standalone app and 16 bit only). With PT 5.1.3/DT 2.0 you can import/export
OMFs directly from within PT.

This is what applies with PT "Mix" type systems on OS 9.x. I'm not sure if HD
or OSX versions are similarly limited.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Gregg Jones

Thanks guys! You have been very helpful, as usual.

Gregg