Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dig314@gmail.com is offline

Default basic Antenna question

An older Sharp Console Stereo at work is missing its antenna. The
manual is missing also. How do I find a replacement antenna?

The slot is very small with 3 metal prongs recessed about 1/4". They
are labeled FM / AM / LOOP.
What is that type of antenna called?

Dig
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
An older Sharp Console Stereo at work is missing its antenna. The
manual is missing also. How do I find a replacement antenna?

The slot is very small with 3 metal prongs recessed about 1/4". They
are labeled FM / AM / LOOP.
What is that type of antenna called?

You might want to do an online search for the manual.
There are several websites that have old user and service
manuals for consumer electronics.

If you have a multimeter, you can try detecting which two
pins are the AM loop. They should have some moderate
impedance between them.

These should go to a ~9" loop of
wire to form the external AM antenna. The remaining pin
is likely an unbalanced FM antenna input. You could
likely just attach a ~3ft piece of wire to this pin for FM.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dig314@gmail.com is offline

These should go to a ~9" loop of
wire to form the external AMantenna. The remaining pin
is likely an unbalanced FMantennainput. You could
likely just attach a ~3ft piece of wire to this pin for FM.

Thank you for the reply. On one other occasion, I have used a copper
wire for an antenna.

Holding a copper wire to the FM pin produces a signal in stereo.
However, I can't find a way to attach the wire because the pin is so
tiny and in such a small space.

Maybe I could remove the case and try to attach a wire internally to
the same pin?

I will do a search for the manual also.

Dig