Posted to rec.audio.pro
Panic in Blue Panic in Blue is offline

Default Using a USB audio interface with Cubase SX (Mac)

Can someone please tell me how to use a USB audio interface as an
audio input in Cubase SX v1. I have tried using several different USB
audio interfaces in Cubase, with no luck. These are all devices that:

1) Don't require drivers.
2) Are recognized in the System Preferences: Sound control panel, and
the Audio/MIDI Setup utility.
3) Are perfectly usable as audio inputs in every other audio recording
application that I've tried (aside from Cubase).

Let's say I'm using my Zoom H2 device. Here's the problem:

* When I create an audio track, the Zoom H2 is not listed in the "In"
pulldown menu in the track info. All that are listed are "In 1" and
"In 2."

* So I go to Devices -- Device setup -- VST Multitrack, and I go to
the "ASIO Driver" pulldown menu in the "Setup" tab.

* The H2 is listed, so I select it.

* I get the prompt "Do you want to switch the ASIO driver?" I click
"Switch."

* Now, in the "In" pulldown menu for the audio track, it says, "No
Input," and if I try to click on it, there is nothing to choose from.
Also, if I try to open the VST Inputs window, it just says, "No
Inputs!"

The exact same thing happens with any of my external audio devices.
What really kills me is that I used to be able to use these devices
just fine in Cubase. But that was a long time ago, and something must
have gotten changed, because I can't do it anymore.

I don't know if this matters, but my computer is a 1.25 gHz G4 iMac.
Please help! Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Panic in Blue Panic in Blue is offline

On Jan 6, 8:27*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Panic in Blue" wrote in ... Can someone please tell me how to use a USB audio interface as an
audio input in Cubase SX v1. *I have tried using several different USB
audio interfaces in Cubase, with no luck. These are all devices that:

1) Don't require drivers.
2) Are recognized in the System Preferences: Sound control panel, and
the Audio/MIDI Setup utility.
3) Are perfectly usable as audio inputs in every other audio recording
application that I've tried (aside from Cubase).

Let's say I'm using my Zoom H2 device. *Here's the problem:

Panic,
* * *I don't have a Mac, but for what it's worth, I can describe a similar
problem. The peripheral was an Apogee MiniMe, attached by USB. I ran the
driver install, then plugged in the MiniMe, which detected it on a
particular port. Steinberg saw and used the device.

* * *Subsequently, I plugged it into another port. This time, the Apogee was
recognized differently. Part of the system thought it was a "generic audio
device", a Windows term, while another part saw it half-and-half. Steinberg
wouldn't recognize it. The driver became further confused and failed to
detect the device on any port. A subsequent driver version at least kept the
arrangment durable. So, one possibility is a corrupted driver.

* * Another possibility is a corrupted project file. With version 4 of
Cubase, I found that moving a project from the abbreviated "Studio" version
to the full version resulted in corruption that couldn't be corrected. Make
sure your testing is done with fresh project files.

* * *Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Well, none of the devices I've been using require drivers, and I've
been creating a new project file every time. Thanks anyway, though.

Any other ideas? Isn't there anyone out there who uses Cubase on a
Mac?

-jb
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Panic in Blue" wrote ...
Well, none of the devices I've been using require drivers...

ALL devices require drivers. Different operating systems may
have different names for them. And some of them may be bundled
with the OS so you don't perceive that you are having to install
anything "extra". For example, there is a standardized USB audio
device driver that is bundled with all modern versions of Windows,
and many different brands of equipment use it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert John Albert is offline

Well, none of the devices I've been using require
drivers, and I've
been creating a new project file every time. Thanks anyway,
though.
Any other ideas? Isn't there anyone out there who uses
Cubase on a
Mac?

It's possible that the version of Cubase you have just won't
recognize the H2 for some obscure reason, and that there may
not be a workaround.

What's the creation date on your version of Cubase?

Have you considered asking your questions over at
Steinberg's forum?
Go to:
http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/index...f432c09499c7f6

I believe the Zoom H4 comes bundled with a Steinberg's
"Cubase LE 4". Did it come with the H2 as well?

I've used Cubase LE (version 1.x) on a g4 Mac running 10.3.9
- works fine. Also use Cubase LE 4.x on an Intel iMac, it
runs even better on that one.

- John