Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
D O'Heare D O'Heare is offline

Default Half-rack effects units?

Yes, *another* damn question...

I want a half-rackspace multi-effect for my bottom-feeder rig. I had a
Lexicon LXP-5, which was fine, but it disappeared with the rest of that
gear.

What's the current wisdom? Do I watch eBay for another one, or is somebody
making something useful these days? Google only brings up the Behringer
multieffect, and I want a choice, thanks.

Cheers,

Dave O'H
dave.oheareATgmail.com

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

D O'Heare wrote:
Yes, *another* damn question...

I want a half-rackspace multi-effect for my bottom-feeder rig. I had a
Lexicon LXP-5, which was fine, but it disappeared with the rest of that
gear.

What's the current wisdom? Do I watch eBay for another one, or is somebody
making something useful these days? Google only brings up the Behringer
multieffect, and I want a choice, thanks.

There are fewer and fewer cheap effects units out there today, since more and
more people on the bottom end are either using consoles with built in effects
are using a DAW.

I think if you are dependant on the half-rack format, the LXP-5 is probably
as good as you're going to get. Zoom made a half-rack machine for a while
that had more weird effects than the Lexicon, but I think that is long
discontinued now too.

I'd look for a used Lexicon on Ebay. If you can afford a full rack width,
though, you have a lot better choices.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

D O'Heare wrote:

Yes, *another* damn question...

I want a half-rackspace multi-effect for my bottom-feeder rig. I had a
Lexicon LXP-5, which was fine, but it disappeared with the rest of that
gear.

I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

Are you a pygmy ?

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
D O'Heare D O'Heare is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

D O'Heare wrote:

Yes, *another* damn question...

I want a half-rackspace multi-effect for my bottom-feeder rig. I had a
Lexicon LXP-5, which was fine, but it disappeared with the rest of that
gear.

I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

Are you a pygmy ?

Nope, but a half-space effect unit, an RNC, and a wee mixer all fit into a
laptop case quite conveniently; while a full-width unit doesn't. For a lot
of the stuff that I do, it works really well.

Dave O'H

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

Are you a pygmy ?

another quality question from our village idiot.
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Eeyore wrote:

I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

It's just a fancy way of saying "this is small enough so that it will
fit on your desk top. You don't need a rack" while keeping the term
"rack" in the buyer's mind because he knows that "rack" equipment is
professional, so this half-rack unit must be at least half professional.

me he
)
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
dwgriffi dwgriffi is offline

On Dec 31 2008, 6:50*pm, Eeyore
wrote:

I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

What's not to understand?

Are you a pygmy ?

No.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Eeyore wrote:

I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

It's all just so complicated, eh?

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 1, 3:17*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
I've never understood the logic of half rack space units.

It's all just so complicated, eh?

It actually is complicated, Hank. If you design a piece of gear where
the components fit in a 1.5" x 4" x 3 area, there are already so many
options available in a full size rack. You can put it in the front,
near the dials. Or in the back near the plugs. On the left, because
that's how signal flow starts if you begins there and read to the
right? On the right if you're Israeli? Maybe in the middle and put
fans all around it, even though it doesn't need fans? Maybe spread it
out thinner across so that it's .75" x 12 x 18". Maybe put a 1/4th of
it in each corner with wires going across to connect them, and put a
mouse trap in the middle.

There are so many ways to go before putting it in a silly half
rack. ; )
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

I think if you are dependant on the half-rack format, the LXP-5 is probably as good as you're going to get. *Zoom made a half-rack machine for a while that had more weird effects than the Lexicon, but I think that is long discontinued now too.

And the Boss SE50, SE70 & VF1 were way weirder than the Zoom & those
are also discontinued. I think the format is basically over.

Scott Fraser

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau[_4_] Romeo Rondeau[_4_] is offline

Scott Fraser wrote:
I think if you are dependant on the half-rack format, the LXP-5 is probably as good as you're going to get. Zoom made a half-rack machine for a while that had more weird effects than the Lexicon, but I think that is long discontinued now too.

And the Boss SE50, SE70 & VF1 were way weirder than the Zoom & those
are also discontinued. I think the format is basically over.

Scott Fraser

They did encourage you to buy two of them instead of one. Good for
sales, I guess.
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

They did encourage you to buy two of them instead of one. Good for sales, I guess.

You bet. I ended up buying 2 SE50's & later 2 SE70's.

Scott Fraser

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

On Jan 3, 12:31*am, Scott Fraser wrote:

You bet. I ended up buying 2 SE50's & later 2 SE70's.

I still have one of each (damn craigslist). For something that fits
in my gig bag there's nothing better. Who says if it's not digital or
2009 studio worthy don't buy it? Shoot me. : )