Posted to rec.audio.car
1,2,3 and to the 4ohm

Default amp install help for 99 VW Jetta GLS

Hi, I have a 99 VW Jetta GLS. I'm wondering if there are any
precautions when installing an amp into this car. I have heard alot of
bad stories about it, but then again I heard alot of bad things about
replacing the head unit and I did that with no problems, hell it only
took me 10 minutes! Now on the other cars that I have done installs on,
there were the typical 2 wires coming off the battery, the red + and
the black -. However, on the VW, it has the red and black wires, but
there is also a little box that sits ontop of the battery with like 5
red wires comming off of it. What do those go to and can they get
****ed up by adding an amp? I'd say no because amp installs are
probably all alike, but I'm no expert. i called the local install shop
and they quoted me at $90, and thats just labor, although i have all
the parts needed since the system was in my last car, but we all know
how shops like to give people the screw job. After I get passed the
battery situation, are there any holes in the firewall the run a 4
gauge wire through? If not is it easy to make one? Past that the
factory door sills and fittings seem really tight, are they easy to get
off and then on again? I've done 2 other installs and they were almost
EXACTLY the same, I'm just wondering if paying the $90 or so is better
than trying to do this myself and risk messing something up since we
all know VW's are notorious for electrical problems.
So, please will somebody with knowldge let me know about the subject.

Thank,
Myron
2000 model Directed 600D
Pioneer DEH-P6600
2 Audiobahn AW1200

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Have you installed your system yet? If not, email me
beckerhead.AT.gmail.com

replace AT with @ (spam protection)

--
- AUSTIN BECKER