Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
63Avanti 63Avanti is offline

Default best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
question)

Now for the "new" question.
What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Posted to rec.audio.car
flak_monkey flak_monkey is offline

It's copper core spark plug wires that contribute to a lot of that hum,
isn't it? I bte that some of the hum in electronics from that era is
often attributed to the condition of solid state electronics not being
able to reject noise as well as they do now. What sort of mods are you
doing to the radio? I've had good luck in getting rid of hums in solid
state equipment from the 70's by using updated transistors, new caps
and all new sheilded wiring where appropriate. It worked wonders on the
Dynaco ST 120 that I rebuilt. Of course it's not for a car, but even
something as minor as touching up the solder joints with fresh, high
qaulity solder can make a world of difference. Check capacitors for
leaks as well.

--
flak_monkey
Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

On 29 Oct 2006 14:25:38 -0800, "63Avanti" wrote:

best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
question)

Now for the "new" question.
What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Most all new cars use anti-rf plugs and cables.. Just get a set of
quality resistor plugs and resistor wires.
Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

63Avanti wrote:

I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

In the sixties, I was always changing ignition cables attempting to
minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio. (not really a problem since
the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type that worked ok, but I
cannot find it any more. (

What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

There are only 2 types of RF supression wi resistive and inductive.
The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available,
but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A
significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
metal bases of the plugs.

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

63Avanti wrote:
best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
question)

Now for the "new" question.
What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Are you sure, first of all, that it's ignition noise you're experiencing, and
not alternator whine, or EMI from another source? Or is this just all
precautionary?

First thing I'd recommend, IF there's noise, is confirming the source of it,
before putting the time and effort into addressing one possible source.

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Mike Mike is offline

Yep...as Matt says.........

I've got a so, so AM-FM radio with "inexpensive" plug wires.

The ignition is quite...but the alternator whines a bit. I know for a
fact it's the alternator because it's one of the one wire types that
comes in at about 1600 rpm when cold. So a first start at low
rpm...no chargeing....the radio is noise free. As soon as the
alternator comes in....whiiinnne.....

Mike

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
N8N N8N is offline

Matt Ion wrote:
63Avanti wrote:
[...]

Just to clarify, he's talking about an Avanti here; having an
all-fiberglass body, suppressing ANY source of noise is of utmost
importance.

nate

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Robert Kubichek Robert Kubichek is offline

N8N wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

63Avanti wrote:

[...]

And it could be noise from a DC motor (fans for air/radiator). It could come a
variety of sources. I would narrow it down, and it shouldn't be too
hard to do either....

Bob
Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
SilverStude SilverStude is offline

63Avanti wrote:
best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
question)

Now for the "new" question.
What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Generally, to cut down the static noise (RFI) on older cars, you would
find condensers on the alternator, distributor, wiper motor, and on
the radio itself. There was also ignition shielding and resistor wires
and plugs. The values on the condensers are all different, so swapping
them may cause problems rather than being a remedy. I've never seen any
on a heater or A/C fan motor, but it's also a source of RFI. Even
sliding your butt on the seat covers will create a charge. You remember
those little flexible tails that used to be attached to the chassis and
drag on the ground?.
Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Paul Johnson Paul Johnson is offline

Why even worry? My '64 R-2 was so noisy that I couldn't hear the FM
anyhowG.
Paul Johnson

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article . com,
wrote:

There are only 2 types of RF supression wi resistive and inductive.
The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available,
but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A
significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
metal bases of the plugs.

I recommend getting a copy of the ARRL Hints and Kinks for Radio Amateurs
book... get one of the mid-fifties editions and there is a whole section
on eliminating ignition noise with homebrew shielding over the plug wires
and shield cans over the distributor.

I agree that with modern resistive wires, things will be a lot better. Back
in the fifties, plug wires were normally copper. Often folks would buy it
on long rolls and terminate it in the shop themselves. Today, plug wires
have a conductive element that is conductive plastic, usually a nylon with
carbon in it, and the wire itself has a few kilohms of resistance. That,
combined with a modern coil design, means you get less high frequency ringing
after the initial spark impulse which cuts way down on the noise.

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

N8N wrote:

Just to clarify, he's talking about an Avanti here; having an
all-fiberglass body, suppressing ANY source of noise is of utmost
importance.

I did not realize it was an Avanti. In that case, I think I would be
worried less about noise issues than making sure the radio antenna had
a proper centerpoise, because it can't use the metal body. The more
_signal_ you get, the more noise you can live with.
Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

"63Avanti" wrote in message
ups.com...
best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

Check www.magnecor.com for EMI-reducing spark plug wires.

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Brooksie Brooksie is offline

That's the same outfit that told me they could supply 7mm wires but only if
I wasn't putting the stainless shielding back in place.

Brooksie

"Bob M." wrote in message

"63Avanti" wrote in message
ups.com...
best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

Check www.magnecor.com for EMI-reducing spark plug wires.

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
GregS GregS is offline

In article , (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

They also sold spark plugs with built in resistors.

greg