Posted to rec.audio.pro
jem

Default testing/setting up brand new UB2442FX-PRO EURORACK mixer:

I used a mono white noise sample to set all the trims (PFL) on all
channel strips--0db--straightforward enough on the mono channels.

When I got to the stereo channels, the same mono noise sample plugged
into the left or mono jack showed up +6db louder than if I used only
the right jack. Seemed odd, but I continued on.

After setting all the channel trims I fed the same white noise sample
into all
tracks by pairs, panned hard left and right, sliders @ Odb. It was at
this point I found the meters reading +6db louder on the right side, on

all channel pairs and stereo channels. Reversing the cables feeding
this signal made no difference. The only exception was the CD/Tape
input-which was balanced on the meter.

I would have to guess the stereo bus defective... Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve Jorgensen

On 17 Dec 2005 17:26:04 -0800, "jem" wrote:

I used a mono white noise sample to set all the trims (PFL) on all
channel strips--0db--straightforward enough on the mono channels.

When I got to the stereo channels, the same mono noise sample plugged
into the left or mono jack showed up +6db louder than if I used only
the right jack. Seemed odd, but I continued on.

After setting all the channel trims I fed the same white noise sample
into all
tracks by pairs, panned hard left and right, sliders @ Odb. It was at
this point I found the meters reading +6db louder on the right side, on

all channel pairs and stereo channels. Reversing the cables feeding
this signal made no difference. The only exception was the CD/Tape
input-which was balanced on the meter.

I would have to guess the stereo bus defective... Any thoughts?

It seems to me that what you're seeing is exactly what you should see if
you're monitoring the mixer output in mono. When you plug into the left/mono
channel jack, the signal is being fed to both left and right, so you're
measuring the sum of left/right at the mixer output. When you plug into the
right jack, you're feeding only the right channel, so the signal is not being
summed with itself. The CD/Tape input did not have this problem because it is
not normalled - the left input is always just "left" for this input.

Try the exercise again, but when you plug into the left/mono jack, plug an
unused cable into the right channel as well. This should force the left/mono
to act as just an input for the left channel and give you the same level as
plugging into the right jack only.