George M. Middius

Default Note on Google Groups URLs

This is a helpful note to everyone, not just those unfortunates who
are saddled with incompetent news clients like Upchuck or AOHell.

When you run a search on groups.google.com, you may often use
specific search criteria such as group, date range, key word or
phrase, and/or author. When you find an article as the result of
such a search, all of the search criteria are included in the
article's URL. Here's an example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=SM...st.com&rnum=10

Certain news clients cannot format a URL that long properly, and as
a result they are displayed in an uncopiable form such as this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=SM...+author:arnyk%
40hotpop.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=200
2&as_maxd=4&as_maxm=9&as_maxy=2003&selm=LcucnSfVse zN7K6iXTWJiA%40comcast.c
om&rnum=10

There is no way to simply click on this mess and see the desired
page in your browser.

Instead of victimizing the rest of the group by inserting an
unusable URL in your post, follow this simple procedure to display a
short, easily utilized URL. All you need is the domain of the page
and the message ID block. The domain is the easily recognized URL of
the Google search engine:

http://groups.google.com/groups?

After that, snip out everything up to the message ID block. The
message ID block contains the Google script notation, the message ID
number, and the message ID domain. From the sample above:

Google script notation selm=
message ID number LcucnSfVsezN7K6iXTWJiA%40
message ID domain comcast.com

You want everything from selm= through the domain. Snip everything
after the domain. The shortened URL is thus:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...%40comcast.com

You can also change the %40 to @ if you want to be elegant.

Note: This method is so straightforward, simple, and reliable that
Arnii Krooger will refuse to adopt it.

Lionel Chapuis

George M. Middius a écrit :

[...]

Incompetent in audion but interesting newsgroup tip.
You are not on the good forum...
....and you waste at least 7 years of your life .

Thanks anyway.

Lionel

Arny Krueger

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=SM...or:arnyk%40 h
[...]

Right, because there's an easier way, one that lets your computer work for
you.

(1) Search to find your post by any means you see fit using.

Example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=middius+idiot

(2) Select a post the usual way, by clicking on a title.

(3) Select "Origional Format"

(4) Note that the URL is now quite short and your retrieval criteria have
been removed.

Cut & Paste the URL.

If you want to polish some more, trim the last few characters of superfluous
junk off the tail end of the URL, right up to but not including the first
ampersand following the text "?selm="

Example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...up47i28%404 a
x.com

Lionel Chapuis

Girth a écrit :

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

If you want to polish some more, trim the last few characters of superfluous
junk off the tail end of the URL, right up to but not including the first
ampersand following the text "?selm="

Example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...up47i28%404 a
x.com

It wrapped.

****!

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

To punish him I suggest that he send to Middious an audio advice !

Oily Tartlet

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:21:26 +0100, Girth wrote:

And this guy 'fixes' compyuters.

He made a comment on RAP once about how he sometimes slips with the
screwdriver, taking out whole motherboards at a time...

When one has no control of one's limbs . . .

Excrement!!

At 7,200RPM.

--
Tartly Toilet

Oily Tartlet

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 02:34:09 +0100, Girth wrote:

He's probably roaring with laughter as he does it! There's nothing
more hilarious than destroying a customers computer after being abused
on usenet for a whole morning.

When I was four or five years old, I used to think I was fixing the
vacuum clear by stuffing crayons into it and washing it with milk.

--
Oily Tartlet
trotsky

Girth wrote:
Oily Tartlet wrote:

If you want to polish some more, trim the last few characters of superfluous
junk off the tail end of the URL, right up to but not including the first
ampersand following the text "?selm="

Example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...up47i28%404 a
x.com

It wrapped.

****!

ROTFLMAO!

And this guy 'fixes' compyuters.

He made a comment on RAP once about how he sometimes slips with the
screwdriver, taking out whole motherboards at a time... Excrement!!

Geez, can you imagine how many trips to the gynecologist his wife must make?

Jacob Kramer

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:59:19 +0100, Girth wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

If you want to polish some more, trim the last few characters of superfluous
junk off the tail end of the URL, right up to but not including the first
ampersand following the text "?selm="

Example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...up47i28%404 a
x.com

It wrapped.

****!

How about just giving the message id? You can't just click on it, but
you can paste it into google's advanced search.

--

Jacob Kramer
George M. Middius

Jacob Kramer said:

How about just giving the message id? You can't just click on it, but
you can paste it into google's advanced search.

Think about it. You should be able to discern which way is better.

Oily Tartlet

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 02:58:57 +0100, Girth wrote:

I would sooner have you, 5, with your crayons and milk working on my
computer rather than THAT turd. Let's be honest, a milky
multi-coloured motherboard has a better chance of working than a dead
one.

He just merrily fiddles away, randomly soldering bunches of wires
across all the memory and processor pins. Fixing in a few light bulbs
and a buzzer. Gluing on a piece of circuit board from the remote he
stepped on. Wedging in a piece of broken television and soldering the
tube to the hard drive. Then, to finish off, wrapping the box up in
video tape. When he turns the computer on and the sizzling buzz and
smouldering hiss give way to all the internal components erupting into
flames, he declares the computer 'fixed' and throws it onto his pile
of other 'fixed' computers. When his wife returns home from work, he
tells her about the successful repair he undertook this afternoon, and
she sighs to herself because she knows that, in order to replace the
hardware he has totally destroyed, she must put in another fifty hours
overtime.

And so another day at PCAV Tech has unfolded.

--
Oily Tartlet

Arny Krueger

"Girth" spewed foolishly in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

If you want to polish some more, trim the last few characters of
superfluous junk off the tail end of the URL, right up to but not
including the first ampersand following the text "?selm="

Example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...up47i28%404 a
x.com

It wrapped.

It would have wrapped using the Middiot's procedure, too.

So show that there wouldn't be any wrapping for the post I picked, if
handled using the Middiot's procedure. That would be a true apples-to-apples
comparison.

BTW here's the Middiot's example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...%40comcast.com

The text is the same other than the actual message ID which just happened to
be longer for the post I chose. The difference is that my procedure did with
a few mouse clicks what the Middiot recommended doing via a more complex and
more time-consuming procedure.

Oily Tartlet

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:43:59 +0200, Lionel Chapuis
lionel{dot}chapuis{at}free{dot}fr wrote:

What about "Furry Toilet" for a girl ? Pretty nice no ?

Very nice. What about Linoleum Crapooey for a boy?

--
Boily Carpet
dave weil

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

Of course there's always the tinyurl solution that I've seen used.
Maybe someone knows how to do this (I think there's a website that
changes it - of maybe it's shareware - I don't remember).

Anyone here ever use it?
Oily Tartlet

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:55:07 +0200, Lionel Chapuis
lionel{dot}chapuis{at}free{dot}fr wrote:

Very nice. What about Linoleum Crapooey for a boy?

Too long !

Squeeze earlier

--
Oily Tartlet
George M. Middius

dave weil said to ****-for-Brains:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...up47i28%404 a
x.com

It wrapped.

It would have wrapped using the Middiot's procedure, too.

Now now, you big ugly turd. It doesn't wrap at all when I do it.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...28%404 ax.com

See, you humongously retarded pile of ****?

Of course there's always the tinyurl solution that I've seen used.
Maybe someone knows how to do this (I think there's a website that
changes it - of maybe it's shareware - I don't remember).

Anyone here ever use it?

Now that Krooger has huffed and puffed and inflated his already over-
extended ego about the issue of URLs, let's see how long it takes
before he posts another one like the "before" URL in my example --
i.e., unedited and unrefined, just the raw URL from a Google search.
Within a week would be my guess.

MiNE 109

In article ,
dave weil wrote:

Of course there's always the tinyurl solution that I've seen used.
Maybe someone knows how to do this (I think there's a website that
changes it - of maybe it's shareware - I don't remember).

Anyone here ever use it?

I have. You paste in the long url and it gives you a short one, just as
you'd guess. Click thru on the website or copy and paste.

http://tinyurl.com/

The original example comes out as http://tinyurl.com/mcvw

and also:

http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php

Stephen
Jacob Kramer

Jacob Kramer said:

How about just giving the message id? You can't just click on it, but
you can paste it into google's advanced search.

Think about it. You should be able to discern which way is better.

There are advantages to both (one is easier for the reader, the other
for the poster) but I actually wanted to request that people use
messageids instead a while ago. The chief advantages to these are
that they will almost certainly fit on one line and they are unique to
the message. They aren't dependent on a specific archive such as
Google or Deja so they're not time sensitive. And they involve less
cutting and pasting by the writer so they are less prone to error.
They should eliminate any dispute about whether the link works or what
message is referenced. So this was meant more as a request than a
suggestion.
dave weil

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:59:46 GMT, MiNE 109

dave weil wrote:

Of course there's always the tinyurl solution that I've seen used.
Maybe someone knows how to do this (I think there's a website that
changes it - of maybe it's shareware - I don't remember).

Anyone here ever use it?

I have. You paste in the long url and it gives you a short one, just as
you'd guess. Click thru on the website or copy and paste.

http://tinyurl.com/

The original example comes out as http://tinyurl.com/mcvw

and also:

http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php

Stephen

Thanks. Seems pretty tidy. I'll have to check it out.

BTW, as a side note, I can barely wait for Arnold to start claiming I
was tossed off of Comcast when, in a week or so, I switch to a
BellSouth DSL account.

The truth, that I decided to go Direct TV satellite TV as well as a
general dissatisfaction with Comcast's unresponsiveness in certain
areas and resultant price increases every year as well as the fact
that once my internet service will be unbundled it will therefore go
up again), is far less interesting. (How's *that* for a sentence? g)

The quality of the satellite is quite a bit better than Comcast cable
for the most part, which suffered from rasterization at times. One
problem is the "digitalization" of the picture on certain channels
like Bravo, which seem to use a lot of compression (not pixelation,
mind you). The problem is the banding that occurs with low contrast
images (much like too low resolution for image size in a digital
picture). The *cool* thing is the TIVO-esque receiver, which alllows
pausing of live programming, as well as about 35 hours of digital
on-demand recording. Pretty cool.

Now, the only thing is the weather issue. We'll see if it's onerous.
After all, we get some pretty heavy extended storms at times.
Hopefully this new improved dish will help a little...
Anon E Mouse

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, George M. Middius wrote:

This is a helpful note to everyone, [...]

Mice have been doing it for years, Votre Middiotie. In the DéjàNews era, even.
--
Anon E. Mouse

Whosbest54

This is a helpful note to everyone, not just those unfortunates who
are saddled with incompetent news clients like Upchuck or AOHell.

When you run a search on groups.google.com, you may often use
specific search criteria such as group, date range, key word or
phrase, and/or author. When you find an article as the result of
such a search, all of the search criteria are included in the
article's URL.

snip

Depends on the newsreader doing the posting and the newsreader doing the
reader. There are several variables. There may not be a solution that works
all the time except:

http://tinyurl.com

http://www.makeashorterlink.com

Just a suggestion. Personally, I don't mind cutting and pasting the various
pieces of line wrapped URLs.

whosbest54
====

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

New Source for XM Radio Information Uses ATOM/RSS WEB or EMAIL Victor Healey Car Audio 0 May 14th 04 02:12 PM
How to Post to Usenet thelizman Car Audio 13 March 6th 04 11:15 PM
Powered Speakers? MS General 24 October 27th 03 02:37 AM
Krooger's "good behavior" on other groups....... Arny Krueger Audio Opinions 22 August 1st 03 01:39 AM
another set of forgeries from google groups. Margaret von Busenhalter Audio Opinions 38 July 12th 03 11:21 AM