Sabre Sound

Default kick drum mics - ATM25, Opus 99, M99, Audix D6 ???

I have used the AKG D-112 and Shure Beta 52... decent mics. I am looking to
try something else on kick drum though. Some mics that have caught my eye:
the Audio Technica ATM25, the Beyer Opus 99 and M99, the Audix D4, D6... any
others recommended? I prefer hypercardioid, on the tight side. The D6 is a
wide cardioid, so that rules it out... and the D4 is a wide hyper... pattern
looks much like a regular cardioid. So, I guess I can scratch Audix off the
list. I have heard good things about them, but I know from using the D-112
that a wide cardioid can be a real pain in terms of picking up bleed. The
ATM25 by Audio Technica looks like a good candidate... any opinions? The
Beyer Opus 99 and M99 also look interesting. I have noted that most of
these "kick" mics have shapely response curves, usually a boost around
80-100, a dip between 300-600, and a boost between 3k-8k or so. This makes
sense, seems like the type of eq-ing I would do on a typical kick drum.
Also, how would you rate the D-112 and Beta 52? Last time I compared them I
found the D-112 to have a lot of bottom and upper-top and not much mid, and
the Beta 52 had a lot of mids, less top and bottom. But I just read an old
review in one of the pro audio mags that said the exact opposite, so I am
guessing that either the reviewer had things reversed, or perhaps there is
something not right with one of my mics. I'd like to pick up one of the
above mentioned Beyer or Audio Technica kick mics soon to try - feedback
welcomed. Winston

Blind Joni

I prefer hypercardioid, on the tight side. The D6 is a
wide cardioid, so that rules it out... and the D4 is a wide hyper... pattern
looks much like a regular cardioid. So, I guess I can scratch Audix off the
list.

I find on floor tom the D4 has a very tight pickup pattern compared to other
cardiods.

Also, how would you rate the D-112 and Beta 52? Last time I compared them I
found the D-112 to have a lot of bottom and upper-top and not much mid, and
the Beta 52 had a lot of mids, less top and bottom. But I just read an old
review in one of the pro audio mags that said the exact opposite, so I am
guessing that either the reviewer had things reversed, or perhaps there is
something not right with one of my mics.

The B-52 always seems to have more low end for me..the D-112 works less than
half the time I've used..probably hundreds of times..but now I don''t own
one...using mostly an ATM25...a great mic for a number of things.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Wayne

Winston wrote:

I have used the AKG D-112 and Shure Beta 52... decent mics. I am looking to
try something else on kick drum though. Some mics that have caught my eye:
the Audio Technica ATM25, the Beyer Opus 99 and M99, the Audix D4, D6... any
others recommended? I prefer hypercardioid, on the tight side.

If you like the sound of a basketball smacking a hard wood floor then stay with
the AKG D112. It's not easy to get any other sound out of that mic, at least
for me anyway.

I prefer the ATM25 for kick, floor toms, bass cabs, etc. With a little
placement and EQ I think you would find the ATM25 to your liking. It's easy
to get a variety of kick sounds with the ATM25 and it's a tough (hammer) mic.

Also, you might want to listen to the EV RE20 and Sennheiser MD421.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Mike Tulley

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:47:46 GMT, "Sabre Sound"
wrote:

I have used the AKG D-112 and Shure Beta 52... decent mics. I am looking to
try something else on kick drum though. Some mics that have caught my eye:
the Audio Technica ATM25, the Beyer Opus 99 and M99, the Audix D4, D6... any
others recommended? I prefer hypercardioid, on the tight side. The D6 is a
wide cardioid, so that rules it out... and the D4 is a wide hyper... pattern
looks much like a regular cardioid.

Those patterns fall apart when you put the mic inside the kick drum.
You'll have to judge it by ear.
Mike T.

John L Rice

The ATM25 has been a great kick mic for me. Get a Beyer M201 ( around $200 )
for your snare and then a great preamp to use with them ( like the John
Hardy M-1 ) and be very happy.

John L Rice

[...]

Garthrr

In article , "Sabre Sound"
writes:

I have used the AKG D-112 and Shure Beta 52... decent mics. I am looking to
try something else on kick drum though.

Try the D6.
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Rob Adelman

Try one of these. I have been using it instead of my ATM25 lately and it
has a nice fat sound.
http://www.lnlrecording.com/sennheiser_e602_kick_drum_microp.htm

Sabre Sound wrote:
[...]

Tim Padrick

To eliminate a kick mic just because of it's polar pattern is folly IMHO.
I've not used the Beyers, but of the others you mentioned, I'll take the D6
any day. It requires much less EQ than the D112, and less gate than the
Beta52.

[...]

Musicnut314

I have been using the Audix D6 and it totally rocks.
peace
Steve

Studio Froombosch

What about the NS-10 option?

Regards,

Harrie
www.studiofroombosch.com

"Tim Padrick" schreef in bericht
[...]

transducr

"Tim Padrick" wrote in message ...
To eliminate a kick mic just because of it's polar pattern is folly IMHO.

i just used an old Shure-manufactured Radio Shack omni dynamic close
up on a closed head kick drum through my avalon 737 2 days ago and got
some fantastic results...

i don't know exactly what that adds to the thread, except to back up
the sentiment of not counting anything out. go through all your mics
and just try stuff...it's fun. and you might find some good use for
some mics that are laying dormant in your collection...

Roger W. Norman

Personally I really like an SM7. Best defined kick I've recorded. I'd
still like to try the dual element (dynamic/condenser) Audio Technica,
though.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Musicnut314" wrote in message
I have been using the Audix D6 and it totally rocks.
peace
Steve

omni mics on drum overheads Dan Ash Pro Audio 17 September 28th 03 01:44 AM
drum mics granners Pro Audio 0 September 22nd 03 02:09 PM
The elusive ANALOG Drum sound Richard Morrow Pro Audio 7 August 21st 03 11:39 AM
Suggestions for Kick drum Mic techniques Martin Quinn Pro Audio 6 August 11th 03 04:48 AM
I need Woofer not Subwoofer/Bass GTR not Kick drum Tony Hwang Car Audio 3 July 2nd 03 07:32 AM