Arny Krueger

Default Philips CDM-9 Gear Assembly Needed

"Agent_C" wrote in message
om
Hi,

The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
assembly.

Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
obtained?

CDM-9 parts are said to be rare, so you'll have to put forth extra effort.

Not exactly in the states, but perhaps they'll ship to you or tell you who
distributes this stuff in the States.

http://www.vcdpickup.com/PHILIPS.htm

http://www.donberg.ie/warehs/groupbh.htm

http://www.agencies.com.sg/cdpickup%...W.O%20MECH.htm

http://www.smartplan.com.cn/yuan/vcdpickup.htm

"Philips spare parts (for audio, DVD etc) are distributed by Dutchwest
Parts. Tel +44 1434 323232. They were great - I also got them to quote for a
full transport (in case the re-assembly goes horribly wrong) and it was
about 54 GBP (68 incl postage etc)."

http://www.avondaleaudio.com/

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Agent_C wrote:

The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
assembly.

Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
obtained?

Philips North America basically won't pay any attention to customer service
at all any more.

Your best bet might be to find out which Magnavox models use that transport
and buy a couple cheap ones on Ebay to use as parts junkers.

Your other alternative might be to take the piece of the broken gear and
have a custom one made. http://www.odometergears.com is actually pretty
good about making weird replacement gears from delrin-like material.
PaulW

"Agent_C" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
assembly.

Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
obtained?

Thanks,

A_C

Tell the lazy bonehead at Theta to get off his fat ass and offer the kind of
customer support that you would expect for spending thousands of dollars on
a CD transport.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but does it not drive you out of
your mind to spend huge bucks on a piece of audio equipment and then get no
real support from the comany when it fails?

Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!

PaulW

..

PaulW

"Agent_C" wrote in message
om...
"PaulW" wrote:

Tell the lazy bonehead at Theta to get off his fat ass and offer the

kind of
customer support that you would expect for spending thousands of dollars

on
a CD transport.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but does it not drive you out

of
your mind to spend huge bucks on a piece of audio equipment and then get

no
real support from the comany when it fails?

Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!

PaulW

Well, that approach is not likely to produce a good result.

They did offer to do the repair, but turnaround time is 4 to 5 *weeks*
and I'd have to send the unit to California. In practical effect, with
shipping time in all, I'd be without the unit for probably 2 months.
Repairs have always been a very weak point for Theta and yes, it is
infuriating.

This type of repair doesn't require much expertise, so I'm electing to
either do it myself, or bring it to a trusted local repair man.

A_C

Fair enough..... I was just in the mood for a rant, really. Good luck with
the repair.

PaulW

Stephen Sank

You might want to try ordering tray drive gears for a Rotel RCD-970BX from Rotel(don't have
their info handy, but they are friendly & helpful with parts ordering), which I am quite sure
used the CDM-9 mechanism, as did the RCD-990. They won't be more than $20 all two or three
gears in the mech, I'm sure, so no big deal if they don't fit the Theta.
Incidentally, my experience with Theta products is that they take a stock product, oem'd from
Sony, Philips, etc., make a few insubstantive changes(such as merely adding an ATT glass
optical out on a Sony LD/CD unit), then put it in their own outer chassis with fancy faceplate.
Usually, in doing so, they make the product almost completely impossible to work on. They make
a decent sounding DAC unit occassionally, but I would steer clear of them otherwise.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"PaulW" wrote in message
.rogers.com...

"Agent_C" wrote in message