Posted to rec.audio.pro
ostaz ostaz is offline

Default What mics are you using?

I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben - TheStudioRI.com Ben - TheStudioRI.com is offline

On Mar 18, 3:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

Pete, here's the short list...

MICROPHONES: BLUE Bottle with B4, B6, B7 caps, BLUE Dragonfly Deluxe,
BLUE Blueberry, BLUE baby bottle, AKG c-414BULS (pair), Rode NT5
(pair), Oktava 012 (pair), Rode NT1000, Sennheiser MD421 (4), Shure
SM57 (pair)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham Adrian Tuddenham is offline

Ben - TheStudioRI.com wrote:

On Mar 18, 3:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

Pete, here's the short list...

MICROPHONES:

[etc...]

Here's a shorter list:
1 x STC 4038

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Mar 18, 1:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

I've been using AT4050's for vocals and room, 57's of course for
guitar and whatever, D112 on kick, NT-5's on overheads, AT4041's for
acoustic instruments.

I will be adding C414Buls, Neumann TLM49 and some others over this
coming year.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ostaz" wrote in message

I'm always interested in what other people are using for
studio mics.

Do mics used to do live sound and recording concurrently count?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 20, 10:25 am, "Fletch" wrote:
On Mar 18, 1:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:

[...]

Fletch, I own a pair of the 414's and was looking at purchasing a
4050. have you put the two side by side to compare? I'd be
interesting in knowing the differences you hear. One person told me
the 4050 was very 414-esque. If it is, then there's no point in
getting the 4050 for me, but alas, I have not compared them
personally. I'm still wanting to hear the TLM49, but my time has been
really short lately..

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ostaz ostaz is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"ostaz" wrote in message

I'm always interested in what other people are using for
studio mics.

Do mics used to do live sound and recording concurrently count?

Sure, why not.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ostaz ostaz is offline

I've been using AT4050's for vocals and room, 57's of course for
guitar and whatever, D112 on kick, NT-5's on overheads, AT4041's for
acoustic instruments.
--Fletch

Do you like the AT4041's? I'm thinking about buying another mic for
recording Greek bouzouki specifically. I was thinking about some of the
Rode mics....how does this one compare? I'm looking for a mic that can
reproduce the warmth, openness, and sweet highs without sounding brittle,
nasally, or choked. I'd like to find out what the guys in Greece are using,
but it's kind of hard to get a hold of some of them.....and they don't ALL
get a great sound....only the bigger studios.

Pete

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"ostaz" wrote in message

I'm always interested in what other people are using for
studio mics.

Do mics used to do live sound and recording concurrently
count?

Sure, why not.

Vocals - CAD 95, Audix OM5, OM6, and Shure WL184 (spoken word only)

Instruments and groups - Audix OM6, Samson CO1, MXL 603, Rhode NT1A, Kel
HM-1, Shure SM91, Behr ECM-8000

Set aside for emergencies - Shure SM57, AT PRO-37

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Dynamics
2 Shure SM57's cardioid
1 Sennheiser MD421 cardioid
1 AKG D190e cardioid
1 EV 635A omni
4 EV PL11 / RE11 cardioid
2 EV PL6 / 660 cardioid
1 EV RE-20 cardiod
Condensers
2 Oktava MC012 phantom powered SD cardioid condensers
2 Behringer ECM8000 phantom powered omni condensers
2 Teac ME120 battery-powered cardioid/omni electrets
1 AT2020 LD cardioid condenser (phantom)
2 AT2021 SD cardioid condenser (phantom)
Ribbon microphone
1 Nady RSM-1 cardioid ribbon
Radio Shack boundary mic (1) phantom powered

On Mar 18, 3:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Mar 18, 1:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:

[...]

I think you'll find it's a matter of taste. Really, the 4050 does some
things very well. And as you know, not all LDCs are created equal to a
given task. The 4050 is a bit weak in the figure of 8, so not good for
M-S recording, which the 414 does better on that. I think the 414s are
a little brighter, too. Plus 5 polar patterns vs. 3 adds to the appeal
of having a couple in the closet. And I like them for overheads, too.

Ty has a report and sound files of the TLM49 on his site. But, yeah,
before I commit, I want to use one on a session.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Mar 20, 1:33 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
I've been using AT4050's for vocals and room, 57's of course for
guitar and whatever, D112 on kick, NT-5's on overheads, AT4041's for
acoustic instruments.
--Fletch

Do you like the AT4041's? I'm thinking about buying another mic for
recording Greek bouzouki specifically. I was thinking about some of the
Rode mics....how does this one compare? I'm looking for a mic that can
reproduce the warmth, openness, and sweet highs without sounding brittle,
nasally, or choked. I'd like to find out what the guys in Greece are using,
but it's kind of hard to get a hold of some of them.....and they don't ALL
get a great sound....only the bigger studios.

Pete

Yeah, I like them a lot. Quite versatile for acoustics, overheads and
general recording. They're better than the NT-5's, but not by a whole
lot. Either one would suit your need without compromising quality.

The bigger studios in Greece are probably using Neumanns or Gefells,
the KM184's or the like, maybe even AKG stuff, all mics produced
within Europe I'll wager, with some American/Japanese produced stuff
thrown into
the mix.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pops Pops is offline

Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer; "THIS
IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled, "Studio
Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that includes the
following:

1 SM57 - Shure Dynamic Mic
1 RE20 - Electrovoice Dynamic Broadcast Mic
1 MD421 - Sennheiser Cardioid Dynamic Mic
1 DK25R - Earthowrks Drum Kit System - Recording
1 NT5 - Rode Matched Pair Condenser Mics
1 AT4050 - Audio-Technica Multi-pattern Condenser Mic
1 MA200 - Mojave Audio Tube Condenser Mic
1 TLM103 - Neumann LDC Condenser Mic - Nickel
1 C414BXLS - AKG LDC Mic
1 R121 - Royer Dynamic Ribbon Mic + RSM1 Royer Shockmount
1 U195 - Soundelux LD FET Mic
1 Dragonfly - Blue Cardioid Condenser Mic

Total List $12,558.00 USD, they say, under $9,800...even at that price
that's quite a cabinet! Now for those of us on a budget, maybe these
are some good and decent choices, but I guess it all depends where in
the game/chain you are and ($$$) you have? Hmmm? The redundancy on
dynamic and condenser mics, I would venture to think they have enough
varying characteristic's that warrant the inclusions. FWIW!

Pops

On Mar 18, 1:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ostaz ostaz is offline

"Fletch" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 20, 1:33 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That would be interesting to find out. I know that since the '70s,
they have had some really nice studios in Greece with very high end European
gear...British boards, German and possibly even some nice Oktava Russian
mics. They have always had a real knack for recording acoustic
instruments....but not drums, curiously, until fairly recently. The drums
always sounded really dark and pushed very far back in the mix on 70's and
80's Greek recordings. But they have got BOUZOUKI down!

Pete

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Pops wrote:
[...]

The 421 is useful, but I'd trade half the condensers in there for a good
441. And there aren't really any top-grade small diaphragm condensers in
there at all. If I were going for a $10k cabinet, I would start with a
pair of Schoeps/DPA/Sennheiser MKH series mikes, or at least a pair of
Josephson Series Fours. Toss the NT5, TLM103, U195, and R121.... not
that they aren't good but your money would be better spent elsewhere at
first.

Oh, and note that they have no Beyer ribbons in that list. Also the 421
they have is probably the nasty 421 Mk II and not the regular one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:46:57 +0000, Pops wrote:

Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer; "THIS IS
NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled, "Studio
Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that includes the
following:

--snip--

Total List $12,558.00 USD, they say, under $9,800...even at that price
that's quite a cabinet! Now for those of us on a budget, maybe these are
some good and decent choices, but I guess it all depends where in the
game/chain you are and ($$$) you have? Hmmm? The redundancy on dynamic and
condenser mics, I would venture to think they have enough varying
characteristic's that warrant the inclusions. FWIW!

Well, consider the source. Do you REALLY think Swee****er has ANYTHING in
mind other than separating you from your hard earned cash?

In the REAL WORLD, the whole idea of a mic cabinet/locket/whatever, is
that you've seen enough REAL WORLD situations in which you were presented
with a sound source that no mic you owned did a particularly good job of
capturing it. So you went looking for a new mic which would work better on
THAT SPECIFIC source, BUT if you were smart, you ALWAYS made sure ANY mic
you bought would be at least marginally useful on at least a handful of
other sources. This approach buys you two things. First, you end up with
a handful of mics that are relatively versatile. But more importantly, you
have a pretty good idea of what each mic is good for.

Now, think about a complete novice who only owns an SM58 buying the
Swee****er package. What the hell do you think he's going to do with it?
IME, he'd be better off getting two SM57s and a 635a and using them on
everything until he found a source he
"justcoundn'tgetagoodsoundonnomatterwhathetrie d" Then it's time to add a
new mic to the collection/cabinet/locker. Probably a small cap condenser,
or even a pair of them. The AT4051 is a favorite of mine, but Josephson
makes a very nice one too. Or, there's Neumann 184 if you just have to
have a N-mic and you don't mind an over-bright mic with no bottom end.

You get the picture... if you buy your mics one or two at a time
(especially if you only buy a new mic when nothing in your collection fits
the bill), you end up with a good knowledge of what each mic is good for.
Hell, if you've got decent preamps you could record a whole album with
just a bunch of SM57s. So it makes sense to start with mics like 57s (and
635s)that work really well on a lot of things, instead of spending a
stupid amount of money on some sales weasel's idea of what an "ideal" mic
collection should look like.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Mar 20, 5:55 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Pops wrote:
Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer; "THIS
IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled, "Studio
Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that includes the
following:

The 421 is useful, but I'd trade half the condensers in there for a good
441. And there aren't really any top-grade small diaphragm condensers in
there at all. If I were going for a $10k cabinet, I would start with a
pair of Schoeps/DPA/Sennheiser MKH series mikes, or at least a pair of
Josephson Series Fours. Toss the NT5, TLM103, U195, and R121.... not
that they aren't good but your money would be better spent elsewhere at
first.

Oh, and note that they have no Beyer ribbons in that list. Also the 421
they have is probably the nasty 421 Mk II and not the regular one.

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."- Hide quoted text -

The 441is a gem. I've used mics from 50 cents to 5 grand and more
often than not lately we come back to the 441 as the preferred mic
(through a decent preamp). Me personally, starting out again, I'd
prioritize for a pair of Schoeps cmc62, pair of cmc641, single EV
RE20, pair of Sennheiser 441, 3x Beyer M200 (sm57 on steroids,
thankyou John L Rice) and a Soundelux Elux 251. About the same amount
of money and covers an enormous amount of ground with great sound.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

I'll order miy mic by manufacturer.
Condenser (C), Dynamic (D), Ribbon (R)

AKG:
3x C414ULS (C)
2x C391B (C)
1x D112 (D)
1x D12 (D)
1x D1000 (D)

Audio Technica
1x AT2020 (C)

Audix
1x CX112 (C)
1x OM6 (D)
1x D1 (D)
1x D3 (D)

Beyerdynamic
6x Opus87 (C)
1x Opus65 (D)
2x M201 (D)
1x M88TG (D)
1x M69 (D)

Crown
2x PCC160 (C)

Electro-Voice
3x PL80 (D)

M-Audio
2x Pulsar (C)

Oktava
3x MK012 (C)
1x MKL2500 (C)
2x ML52-02 (R)

Shu
2x Beta98D/S (C)
1x SM57 (D)
3x SM7b (D)
1x Beta52 (D)

SM Pro Audio
2x MC01 (C)

Sennheiser
1x MD421 (D)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

ostaz wrote:
I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics.

Oh, all right. I'll play:

2 x Schoeps MK41 + CMC6
2 x KM184
2 x AKG Blueline with 2 cardiod, 1 omni, 1 hyper capsule
1 x Rode NT2A

2 x SM57
1 x AT25
1 x MD421 II
1 x Beyer M201
1 x RE20

You can probably tell I'm more into instruments than voices!

Anahata
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:43:51 -0400, Fletch wrote
(in article .com):

On Mar 18, 1:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:

[...]

Do. And expect to pull down at 3K unless you want an aggressive sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 20, 10:09 pm, wrote:

RE20, pair of Sennheiser 441, 3x Beyer M200 (sm57 on steroids,

Correction, that should be 3x Beyerdynamic M201.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Mar 20, 7:47 pm, Agent 86 wrote:
[...]

This is basically the approach I take, buying mics I NEED, as I need
them. The want list is long, but the need list is relatively short,
actually.

To have 57's and 635a's is a must because these are bullet proof 'go
to' mics that will work in so many situations that it's crazy not to
have them, even over a more expensive and even 'better' alternative.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Pops wrote:
Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer;
"THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled,
"Studio Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that
includes the following:

1 SM57 - Shure Dynamic Mic
1 RE20 - Electrovoice Dynamic Broadcast Mic
1 MD421 - Sennheiser Cardioid Dynamic Mic
1 DK25R - Earthowrks Drum Kit System - Recording
1 NT5 - Rode Matched Pair Condenser Mics
1 AT4050 - Audio-Technica Multi-pattern Condenser Mic
1 MA200 - Mojave Audio Tube Condenser Mic
1 TLM103 - Neumann LDC Condenser Mic - Nickel
1 C414BXLS - AKG LDC Mic
1 R121 - Royer Dynamic Ribbon Mic + RSM1 Royer Shockmount
1 U195 - Soundelux LD FET Mic
1 Dragonfly - Blue Cardioid Condenser Mic

How bizarre, not a pair of anything !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Willie K. Yee, MD[_3_] Willie K. Yee, MD[_3_] is offline

Most of my collection was obtained by:

1. Reading a lot about mics, esp. this newsgroup. A few came from
eBay, The cheaper ones, Marshalls, and Behringer were bought new.

2. Buying used mics that I recognized as of value when they showe up
here.

3. Several, were ones with cospetic damage, that made them cheaper,
but had no effect on their price.

4. I have stopped buying mics. Saving up for a pair or Royers. Then I
will quit. I promise.

AKG C1000S condenser
AKG 414 B-ULS multi-pattern LD condenser
AT 822 stereo electret condenser
AT4050 x2 multi-pattern LD condenser
Behringer ECM 8000 x2 reference omni
Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon supercardioid
Marshall MXL 67G large condenser cardioid
Marshall MXL 503 x2 sd wide cardioid condenser
Marshall MXL V69ME tube condenser
Sennheiser MD 421 x2 dynamic
Sennheiser E602 dynamic bass
Electro Voice RE 20 dynamic cardioid
Shure KSM 32 large condenser cardioid
Shure 829 dynamic omni
Shure SM 57 x2 dynamic cardioid
Shure SM 81 x2 Small condenser hypercardioid
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Geoff" wrote ...
Pops wrote:
Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer;
"THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled,
"Studio Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that
includes the following:

1 SM57 - Shure Dynamic Mic
1 RE20 - Electrovoice Dynamic Broadcast Mic
1 MD421 - Sennheiser Cardioid Dynamic Mic
1 DK25R - Earthowrks Drum Kit System - Recording
1 NT5 - Rode Matched Pair Condenser Mics
1 AT4050 - Audio-Technica Multi-pattern Condenser Mic
1 MA200 - Mojave Audio Tube Condenser Mic
1 TLM103 - Neumann LDC Condenser Mic - Nickel
1 C414BXLS - AKG LDC Mic
1 R121 - Royer Dynamic Ribbon Mic + RSM1 Royer Shockmount
1 U195 - Soundelux LD FET Mic
1 Dragonfly - Blue Cardioid Condenser Mic

How bizarre, not a pair of anything !

Appears to be from the POV of the studio, track-at-a-time,
panned-mono pop-music crowd.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Willie K. Yee wrote:

Most of my collection was obtained by:

1. Reading a lot about mics, esp. this newsgroup. A few came from
eBay, The cheaper ones, Marshalls, and Behringer were bought new.

2. Buying used mics that I recognized as of value when they showe up
here.

3. Several, were ones with cospetic damage, that made them cheaper,
but had no effect on their price.

4. I have stopped buying mics. Saving up for a pair or Royers. Then I
will quit. I promise.

Trust me, you still need a Senn MD441.

AKG C1000S condenser
AKG 414 B-ULS multi-pattern LD condenser
AT 822 stereo electret condenser
AT4050 x2 multi-pattern LD condenser
Behringer ECM 8000 x2 reference omni
Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon supercardioid
Marshall MXL 67G large condenser cardioid
Marshall MXL 503 x2 sd wide cardioid condenser
Marshall MXL V69ME tube condenser
Sennheiser MD 421 x2 dynamic
Sennheiser E602 dynamic bass
Electro Voice RE 20 dynamic cardioid
Shure KSM 32 large condenser cardioid
Shure 829 dynamic omni
Shure SM 57 x2 dynamic cardioid
Shure SM 81 x2 Small condenser hypercardioid

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Mar 21, 4:02 pm, "Geoff" wrote:
Pops wrote:
Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer;
"THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled,
"Studio Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that
includes the following:

1 SM57 - Shure Dynamic Mic
1 RE20 - Electrovoice Dynamic Broadcast Mic
1 MD421 - Sennheiser Cardioid Dynamic Mic
1 DK25R - Earthowrks Drum Kit System - Recording
1 NT5 - Rode Matched Pair Condenser Mics
1 AT4050 - Audio-Technica Multi-pattern Condenser Mic
1 MA200 - Mojave Audio Tube Condenser Mic
1 TLM103 - Neumann LDC Condenser Mic - Nickel
1 C414BXLS - AKG LDC Mic
1 R121 - Royer Dynamic Ribbon Mic + RSM1 Royer Shockmount
1 U195 - Soundelux LD FET Mic
1 Dragonfly - Blue Cardioid Condenser Mic

How bizarre, not a pair of anything !

geoff

Actually the Earthworks drum kit package has 2 omnis I believe,
and it says a pair of the cardiod NT5s.
But I'll spare you all an unseemly listing of my gear-slut mic
collection list again. I think I'll be selling about half of them off
sometime soon though.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

Geoff wrote:
Pops wrote:

Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer;
"THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled,
"Studio Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that
includes the following:

1 SM57 - Shure Dynamic Mic
1 RE20 - Electrovoice Dynamic Broadcast Mic
1 MD421 - Sennheiser Cardioid Dynamic Mic
1 DK25R - Earthowrks Drum Kit System - Recording
1 NT5 - Rode Matched Pair Condenser Mics
1 AT4050 - Audio-Technica Multi-pattern Condenser Mic
1 MA200 - Mojave Audio Tube Condenser Mic
1 TLM103 - Neumann LDC Condenser Mic - Nickel
1 C414BXLS - AKG LDC Mic
1 R121 - Royer Dynamic Ribbon Mic + RSM1 Royer Shockmount
1 U195 - Soundelux LD FET Mic
1 Dragonfly - Blue Cardioid Condenser Mic

How bizarre, not a pair of anything !

You missed the Rode NT5, described above as a "Matched Pair"

I suppose there aren't many studio situations that need more than 1 pair.

Anahata
Posted to rec.audio.pro
glitchless glitchless is offline

Hi Pete,
Here's my list. Some I use regularly some almost never. I'm planning
on selling a few. I'd say the C28 B7 combo (for vox) and the
Josephsons (for acoustic guitar) get the most constant use.

AKG C28 w/Red B7 capsule
AKG C451EB w/ck1 capsule and Blue B6 (C12) lollipop capsules
AKG C452EB w/ck1 capsule
AKG 1200e's (2)
AT 4050 (2)
At 4047
AT 4041
AT C87
ATM 25
AT 808G
Blue Babybottle
Blueberry
Beyer Dynamic M160DX Ribbon
EV 408's (2)
Josephson C42 (2) A Matched Pair
Marshall 603 (2)
Octava MC012 w/ 3 small diaphragm capsules and Lomo M1 lollipop
capsule
Realistic PZM
Sennheiser K3
Shure SM58
Kel HM1

Posted to rec.audio.pro
glitchless glitchless is offline

Do you like the AT4041's? I'm willing to sell my 4041. It is a fine
mic, but with 2 Josephson's, 2 451's, 2 Marshal 603's, and an Octava
O12, I think I have more than enough small diaphragms. The 4041's were
my 1st. pair and worked well, I added others and found I didn't use
them as often and sold one, so now the other is for sale. I'm also
selling the M160DX.
I got it primarily for fiddle on several recommendations here on the
group. It is not my cup of tea. I like the Blue Baby bottle better,
how's that for alliteration?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

WillStG wrote:

How bizarre, not a pair of anything !

geoff

Actually the Earthworks drum kit package has 2 omnis I believe,
and it says a pair of the cardiod NT5s.
But I'll spare you all an unseemly listing of my gear-slut mic
collection list again. I think I'll be selling about half of them off
sometime soon though.

I guess I scanned down the "1s".

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ostaz ostaz is offline

"glitchless" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Great, thanks. Now, out of all these, if you HAD to pick two mics and sell
the rest.......which would they be?

Pete

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

"Willie K. Yee, MD" please@nospam wrote in message
Most of my collection was obtained by:

1. Reading a lot about mics, esp. this newsgroup. A few came from
eBay, The cheaper ones, Marshalls, and Behringer were bought new.

2. Buying used mics that I recognized as of value when they showe up
here.

3. Several, were ones with cospetic damage, that made them cheaper,
but had no effect on their price.

4. I have stopped buying mics. Saving up for a pair or Royers. Then I
will quit. I promise.

Hey Dr. Yee,
If you don't want to wait for a pair, I have a single Royer 121 for $950.
It's flawless, I'm just downsizing.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku

http://novamusicproductions.com/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Great, thanks. Now, out of all these, if you HAD to pick two mics and
sell the rest.......which would they be?

3 mic I couldn't do without are 1 pair of AKG C414 and 1 Shure SM7 (Could be
a EV RE20).
I can do a whole drumkit with theese mic, or vocals (choose the flavour,
dynamic or condenser?), electric guitars and acoustic guitars (try the SM7
for the acoustic!!). A string quartet using XY or AB or MS or a very loud
bass cabinet....
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 22, 3:33 pm, "Federico" wrote:
Great, thanks. Now, out of all these, if you HAD to pick two mics and
sell the rest.......which would they be?

I think I said this at the outset. The matched pair of Josephson's and
the C28 with the B7 cap are the three I'd miss the most, But I'd be
really stuck trying to record with only three mics. I use the AT25 on
the kick and if I used the Josephson on and acoustic and the C28 on a
vox what would I use for the rest of the kit? I usually use a SD with
a LD on the acoustic and the babybottle on a fiddle another SD on the
mandolin. several LD's for one vocal group and a pair of them in MS
for another. A pair of LD's and a third for the piano when recording a
vox at the piano etc...
Three would never be enough unless I recorded on track at a time which
I only seem to do after the beds are done.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geetar Dave Geetar Dave is offline

On Mar 18, 4:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:
I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

B.L.U.E. Baby Bottle
B.L.U.E. Dragonfly
B.L.U.E. The Ball
(2) MXL V67g
(2) Oktava MC012
(2) Shure SM-57
Shure SM-58
Shure SM-91
Shure Beta 87
AT Pro 25
Audix D2
EV 408
EV 635a
Sennheiser e609
Sennheiser MD-421 (an old one)

I mostly record my electric guitars for other people's projects. More
comprehensive projects have been known to happen here, but that's a
low-budget affair at best.

www.myspace.com/geetardave

BLUE Mics vs. JZ Mics J. Roberts Pro Audio 49 March 25th 05 04:16 PM
FS: Mics Blind Joni Marketplace 0 January 12th 05 11:35 PM
FS: Mics Blind Joni Pro Audio 0 January 12th 05 11:35 PM
WTB: Ribbon Mics, Dynamic Mics Stefan Colson Pro Audio 0 October 29th 03 10:46 AM
FS: AKG & AT Mics Rich Pro Audio 2 September 2nd 03 12:54 AM