Posted to rec.audio.pro
OLD_CS1_enter OLD_CS1_enter is offline

Default hearing audio files on host computer controlling guest on remotedesktop?

Recently set up remote desktop to use the laptops to control the desktop
and vice versa. I am having one difficulty I need to work around. I
have several audio programs on the desktop that I can control remotely
via the laptop, but when I play the audio files they of course can only
be heard at the desktop. How can I also hear the audio files on the
controlling computer?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/10/2014 7:28 AM, OLD_CS1_enter wrote:
Recently set up remote desktop to use the laptops to control the desktop
and vice versa. I am having one difficulty I need to work around. I
have several audio programs on the desktop that I can control remotely
via the laptop, but when I play the audio files they of course can only
be heard at the desktop. How can I also hear the audio files on the
controlling computer?

You can't, unless the audio files are on the controlling computer. Of
course you could run audio from the desktop computer to the laptop
through a wire or wireless hookup.

If the desktop computer has Bluetooth, you could (I'm guessing here
since I've never tried it) assign the audio playback to that device and
use a Bluetooth speaker at the laptop. I don't think you could connect
Bluetooth-to-bluetooth between the two computers, but you could play
around with that.

Or you could set up a streaming server on the desktop and connect to
that from the laptop.

Nothing is going to be simple, though.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/11/2014 12:28, OLD_CS1_enter wrote:
Recently set up remote desktop to use the laptops to control the desktop
and vice versa. I am having one difficulty I need to work around. I
have several audio programs on the desktop that I can control remotely
via the laptop, but when I play the audio files they of course can only
be heard at the desktop. How can I also hear the audio files on the
controlling computer?

If the computers are networked, then you could log on to the remote
computer and use the audio programs on the local computer, if you've got
a copy of the audio program you're using on it. I think you can still
assign a drive letter to a remote box for the occasional program that
can't use a network resource, but ICBW.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/11/2014 13:05, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Would Virtual Audio Cable work in this case? Run one instance on the
main computer and another on the laptop.

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"OLD_CS1_enter" skrev i en meddelelse

Recently set up remote desktop to use the laptops to control the desktop
and vice versa. I am having one difficulty I need to work around. I have
several audio programs on the desktop that I can control remotely via the
laptop, but when I play the audio files they of course can only be heard
at the desktop.

Look at the options for the remote desktop client, IF the audio software
goes by the rules it can be asked to deliver the audio to the client
computer via the rdp-protocol. This IS how it is, just answer the question
about what to do with the remote audio. Audition 1.5 gets it right, Adobe
replaced the playback engine so it broke for versions 2 and 3, dunno if they
fixed it, it may be intentional that they laid hindrances in the way for
using their software on a terminal server.

How can I also hear the audio files on the controlling computer?

IF the above fails and you need to have access to the "front session", the
visibile session, on the host pc, then radmin is very good. That ended up
being my choice while I used Audition 1.5, I just wired the cloud pc to my
monitor setup, using the internal sound card, HP tends to get that good in
their pc's and laptops.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/10/2014 7:28 AM, OLD_CS1_enter wrote:

Recently set up remote desktop to use the laptops to control the desktop
and vice versa. I am having one difficulty I need to work around. I
have several audio programs on the desktop that I can control remotely
via the laptop, but when I play the audio files they of course can only
be heard at the desktop. How can I also hear the audio files on the
controlling computer?

You can't, unless the audio files are on the controlling computer.

Wrong if the software is not broken by design, it may be necessary to select
the rdp-virtual soundcard for playback.

Or you could set up a streaming server on the desktop and connect to that
from the laptop.

Or use Radmin and connect the host to the playback system.

Nothing is going to be simple, though.

Audio via rdp is simple and usually works if not intentionally broken. I did
however find it a better solution to connect the host pc to the playback
system and use Radmin and then edit on the laptop while sitting in ye comfy
olde listening chair.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Peter Larsen" skrev i en meddelelse
k...

[...]

Oh, and on the rdp client you can in fact also select "leave audio at host",
I plain hadn't looked properly on what the client allowed back then.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/10/2014 10:57 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
Wrong if the software is not broken by design, it may be necessary to select
the rdp-virtual soundcard for playback.

What's rdp-virtual soundcard? Or (John) Virtual Audio Cable)? Sounds
like a solution, if it works.

Or use Radmin and connect the host to the playback system.

Another program that apparently at least two of us here don't know
about. Explain please.

Audio via rdp is simple and usually works if not intentionally broken.

Why would something be intentionally broken? Do you mean that whatever
it is, it's not accessible by the remote desktop client, the sound card
on the remote computer, or the host computer? How does this all work?
No, I don't want to read web pages, I'd just like a clue.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

No, I don't want to read web pages, I'd just like a clue.

Did you want a small clue or a large one? And would that be over easy or
straight up? {;-)=

quote

Radmin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radmin
Wikipedia
Radmin (Remote Administrator) is a product of Famatech International
Corp. It is remote control software for Microsoft Windows which uses the
Mirror Driver ...

/quote

When I control windows remotely it's usually with a sponge and a
squeegee.

Search results for the virtual soundcard ("Look, ma, nothing to throw
out the window!!") virtual audio cable confused me so badly I'll stop
now.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/10/2014 2:57 PM, hank alrich wrote:
Did you want a small clue or a large one? And would that be over easy or
straight up? {;-)=

An executive summary, in his own words. What it does, what it requires
for setup (including how many brain cells), what operating system(s),
and how much does it cost?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" skrev i en meddelelse

On 11/10/2014 10:57 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
Wrong if the software is not broken by design, it may be necessary to
select
the rdp-virtual soundcard for playback.

What's rdp-virtual soundcard?

The audio driver that sends the audio to the client computer for rendering
there. Since there is no hardware involvement on the server computer it is
by definition virtual.

Or use Radmin and connect the host to the playback system.

Another program that apparently at least two of us here don't know about.
Explain please.

Radmin == [R]emore[admin]istrator and is the only remote desktop
server-client (!) solution that appears to be faster and better than
Microsofts own rdp-protocol at rendering animations, such as phase plots and
dynamic fft's.

Audio via rdp is simple and usually works if not intentionally broken.

Why would something be intentionally broken?

Because it might be that Adobe does not want its Audition software used on a
terminal server where - given sufficient hardware - an entire university can
use one license, possibly not an intended side effect of taking the audio
playback module from Premiere and using it in Audition, which is what they
did (according to an answer to my complaint over rdp playback being broken)
when updating from 1.5 to 2.

Do you mean that whatever it is, it's not accessible by the remote desktop
client, the sound card on the remote computer, or the host computer? How
does this all work? No, I don't want to read web pages, I'd just like a
clue.

A good sporting attempt at an exec summary provided above.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/10/2014 5:24 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
What's rdp-virtual soundcard?

The audio driver that sends the audio to the client computer for rendering
there. Since there is no hardware involvement on the server computer it is
by definition virtual.

Who's sending what to whom? Does the host (server) see the virtual sound
card on the client computer when the client has the virtual soundcard
driver loaded?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" skrev i en meddelelse

On 11/10/2014 5:24 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:

What's rdp-virtual soundcard?

The audio driver that sends the audio to the client computer for
rendering
there. Since there is no hardware involvement on the server computer it
is
by definition virtual.

Who's sending what to whom? Does the host (server) see the virtual sound
card on the client computer

No, it just sees another sound card driver that happens to output via the
rdp-protocol instead of via a hardware sound card.

when the client has the virtual soundcard driver loaded?

No no no, the client has the "other half" of the rdp-package loaded and it
outputs audio to the client hardware driver and sound card just like any
other audio-using application.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/11/2014 10:45 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Mike Rivers" skrev i en meddelelse

On 11/10/2014 5:24 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:

What's rdp-virtual soundcard?
The audio driver that sends the audio to the client computer for
rendering
there. Since there is no hardware involvement on the server computer it
is
by definition virtual.

Who's sending what to whom? Does the host (server) see the virtual sound
card on the client computer

No, it just sees another sound card driver that happens to output via the
rdp-protocol instead of via a hardware sound card.

when the client has the virtual soundcard driver loaded?

No no no, the client has the "other half" of the rdp-package loaded and it
outputs audio to the client hardware driver and sound card just like any
other audio-using application.

I'm just dense here. I guess I'll have to see it. I know about hardware
and its associated drivers, but this virtual driver stuff is too much
for my imagination.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Let me give this a try. On your computer you have a music app which
generates sound data. It passes that data on to your sound card driver,
which takes the data in a standardized format and passes it on to the
actual sound card hardware.

So now, on the host computer, we replace the sound card driver with another
one that takes your sound data and spits it out over to the network to the
client computer. The client computer has a special audio app on it that
listens for the data from the host's driver on the network. It takes that
data, does whatever jiggery-pokery is required, and then passes that data
on to the normal sound card driver on the client computer. Voila! Remote
audio.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

Isn't this sort of a server client relationship, virtually?

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Barone wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Ralph, thanks. Man, you are good at that explaining!

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/11/2014 11:33 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
On your computer you have a music app which
generates sound data. It passes that data on to your sound card driver,
which takes the data in a standardized format and passes it on to the
actual sound card hardware.

So now, on the host computer, we replace the sound card driver with another
one that takes your sound data and spits it out over to the network to the
client computer. The client computer has a special audio app on it that
listens for the data from the host's driver on the network. It takes that
data, does whatever jiggery-pokery is required, and then passes that data
on to the normal sound card driver on the client computer. Voila! Remote
audio.

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. Thanks for the plain language
explanation rather than names of programs that I don't know. Those only
matter to people who actually want to do this, and I'm sure they
understood what Peter was talking about.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

No problem. I don't know the names of the programs either, so it was easy
to not mention them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Gray_Wolf wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:10:34 -0800, (hank alrich)
wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 11/10/2014 2:57 PM, hank alrich wrote:
Did you want a small clue or a large one? And would that be over easy or
straight up? {;-)=

An executive summary, in his own words. What it does, what it requires
for setup (including how many brain cells), what operating system(s),
and how much does it cost?

?

What's the deal with
http://www.videolan.org/

Beyond using the VLC player I know nothing. It appears to work when I
need it, which is not often. Thanks for mentioning them, because my
version was way out of date.

I note they're working on an open source video editing program. I could
take interest in that.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "Nov 11Mike Rivers
I'm just dense here. I guess I'll have to see it. I know about hardware
and its associated drivers, but this virtual driver stuff is too much
for my imagination.

That's no excuse for the way N0ne Alrich treated you.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

wrote in message
flush kman

You seem to think I'm Alrich. I guess when you're a dumb****, you're
just a dum****. It's no surprise that you can't tell the difference,
since you can't tell one dB from another, you don't know the
difference between a reference level and a compressor, and you're
still whining about being booted out of gearslutz for being a
dumb****. A persistent and annoying dumb**** who was too stupid to
follow the rules, even after repeated warnings. You can't even tell
the difference between **** and Shinola, even after stepping in it. So
eat Shinola, dumb****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 11/10/2014 2:57 PM, hank alrich wrote:
Did you want a small clue or a large one? And would that be over easy or
straight up? {;-)=

An executive summary, in his own words. What it does, what it requires
for setup (including how many brain cells), what operating system(s),
and how much does it cost?

?

What's the deal with
http://www.videolan.org/

Beyond using the VLC player I know nothing. It appears to work when I
need it, which is not often. Thanks for mentioning them, because my
version was way out of date.

I note they're working on an open source video editing program. I could
take interest in that.

There's openshot.org that does that, and seems to work reasonably, but
it is only for Linux. I don't know about its audio capabilities though.

Mat Nieuwenhoven