Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Does Anyone have a Schematic for a Sound City Joanna Piano Keyboard?

Mine looks just like this one:

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/07/...ty-joanna.html

The power switch LED turns on, but nothing on the output.

A schematic would sure be helpful....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Â*Â*Â* https://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/07/...ty-joanna.html

The power switch LED turns on, but nothing on the output.

A schematic would sure be helpful....

Oh, nevermind. It works.

I just need to clean the key springs, and buy new ones
for the ones that are missing.

But a weird sounding keyboard for sure! Nothing like
that old Italian analog sound!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Â*Â*Â*Â* https://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/07/...ty-joanna.html

The power switch LED turns on, but nothing on the output.

A schematic would sure be helpful....

Â*Â* Oh, nevermind.Â* It works.

Â*Â* I just need to clean the key springs, and buy new ones
for the ones that are missing.

Â*Â* But a weird sounding keyboard for sure!Â* Nothing like
that old Italian analog sound!

Ok, can I just go to somewhere like Home Depot, and
get stock spring, to replace the old, worn out key
springs? Like get a long length of it, and cut them
to size?

Here is a picture of similar Crumar key springs:

https://xbs111.files.wordpress.com/2...-springs-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

On 5/13/2019 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/13/2019 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/12/2019 3:16 AM, Paul wrote:
Mine looks just like this one:

Â*Â*Â*Â* https://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/07/...ty-joanna.html

The power switch LED turns on, but nothing on the output.

A schematic would sure be helpful....

Â*Â*Â* Oh, nevermind.Â* It works.

I used to successfully employ heavy guitar strings on Farfisa and Vox
organs. They would need to be wound with a metal that could be soldered
though, bronze maybe? I later learned that the original busbars and
springs on better quality instruments were often gold plated, so I
probably caused a lot of destructive wear and tear, but I didnt know
and didnt care in those days. I just wanted the thing to work when I
needed it.
Everything corrodes, but gold on gold is pretty good until it wears
through. If theyre gold, it may be worth transplanting old springs from
the upper keys to the midrange to preserve the busbar, and kludge the
lesser-used contacts.

Â*Â*Â* I just need to clean the key springs, and buy new ones
for the ones that are missing.

Â*Â*Â* But a weird sounding keyboard for sure!Â* Nothing like
that old Italian analog sound!

Â*Â* Ok, can I just go to somewhere like Home Depot, and
get stock spring, to replace the old, worn out key
springs?Â* Like get a long length of it, and cut them
to size?

Â*Â* Here is a picture of similar Crumar key springs:

https://xbs111.files.wordpress.com/2...-springs-2.jpg

Â*Â* Thanks for any advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 5/13/2019 8:45 AM, ChrisG wrote:
On 5/13/2019 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/13/2019 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/12/2019 3:16 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

OK, that sounds like a good idea. Heavy guitar strings. I don't
think these are gold-plated, but I could be wrong.

I just compared them, and the guitar strings are definitely
much stiffer, and less pliant, than the original springs, but it
looks like it should work.

Still, is there a source for the original raw spring material? It
would be better, because the stiffer guitar string would definitely
affect the action and feel of the keyboard a small bit.

But this all answers the question of why there were 10 springs
missing in the first place! They were clearly taken from this unit,
and put into another keyboard. And I noticed on the Vintage Synth
website, that they are selling these springs USED, for about $4 a piece!

Hmmmm....no wonder people like to buy old keyboards for the
parts only!

:/

Â*Â*Â* I just need to clean the key springs, and buy new ones
for the ones that are missing.

Â*Â*Â* But a weird sounding keyboard for sure!Â* Nothing like
that old Italian analog sound!

Â*Â*Â* Ok, can I just go to somewhere like Home Depot, and
get stock spring, to replace the old, worn out key
springs?Â* Like get a long length of it, and cut them
to size?

Â*Â*Â* Here is a picture of similar Crumar key springs:

https://xbs111.files.wordpress.com/2...-springs-2.jpg

Â*Â*Â* Thanks for any advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

While we are at it does anybody have a schematic an ElectroKey piano.

Similar concept to a Wurli - to the point Wurlitzer got them shut down.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 5/13/2019 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/13/2019 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/12/2019 3:16 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* OK, that sounds like a good idea. Heavy guitar strings.Â* I don't
think these are gold-plated, but I could be wrong.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I just compared them, and the guitar strings are definitely
much stiffer, and less pliant, than the original springs, but it
looks like it should work.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Still, is there a source for the original raw spring material?Â* It
would be better, because the stiffer guitar string would definitely
affect the action and feel of the keyboard a small bit.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But this all answers the question of why there were 10 springs
missing in the first place!Â* They were clearly taken from this unit,
and put into another keyboard.Â* And I noticed on the Vintage Synth
website, that they are selling these springs USED, for about $4 a piece!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Hmmmm....no wonder people like to buy old keyboards for the
parts only!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* :/

Â*Â*Â* I just need to clean the key springs, and buy new ones
for the ones that are missing.

Â*Â*Â* But a weird sounding keyboard for sure!Â* Nothing like
that old Italian analog sound!

Â*Â*Â* Ok, can I just go to somewhere like Home Depot, and
get stock spring, to replace the old, worn out key
springs?Â* Like get a long length of it, and cut them
to size?

Â*Â*Â* Here is a picture of similar Crumar key springs:

https://xbs111.files.wordpress.com/2...-springs-2.jpg

Â*Â*Â* Thanks for any advice.

Ok, the guitar string idea works great! 0.052"!

There isn't really an issue with a difference
in the feel of the action, because like most organs,
each key is only ON or OFF. There is no velocity
information, and most of the forces on the key, come
from the thicker main spring of each key, not the thin
contact springs. So consequently, I don't feel a
difference in the action, on the keys with the guitar
string replacement.

But I have found two more issues:

1) How do I level the white keys on this unit?

2) The high G# does not decay properly like the other keys.
It almost acts like it has the sustain pedal down all the
time. So it keeps sustaining while the other keys decay
and taper off as they should. It seems like it's some
sort of RC time constant, so I will probe, and check
the components around this key, and compare them to it's
neighboring keys.

And advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

While we are at it does anybody have a schematic an ElectroKey piano.

Similar concept to a Wurli - to the point Wurlitzer got them shut down.

I remember selling those at a piano/mi store many years ago. Interesting
sound.
In case you didn't stumble on this older thread, it looks like the top
poster has a wiring diagram...or at least a portion of it.

https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=8916.0

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/05/2019 4:06 AM, polymod wrote:

"geoff"Â* wrote in message

While we are at it does anybody have a schematic an ElectroKey piano.

Similar concept to a Wurli - to the point Wurlitzer got them shut down.

I remember selling those at a piano/mi store many years ago. Interesting
sound.
In case you didn't stumble on this older thread, it looks like the top
poster has a wiring diagram...or at least a portion of it.

https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=8916.0

Poly

---

Thanks Poly - following up on the forum thread. Mine one has a
solid-state amp, which I suspect has germanium transistors.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 5/13/2019 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/13/2019 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/12/2019 3:16 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* OK, that sounds like a good idea. Heavy guitar strings.Â* I don't
think these are gold-plated, but I could be wrong.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I just compared them, and the guitar strings are definitely
much stiffer, and less pliant, than the original springs, but it
looks like it should work.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Still, is there a source for the original raw spring material?Â* It
would be better, because the stiffer guitar string would definitely
affect the action and feel of the keyboard a small bit.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But this all answers the question of why there were 10 springs
missing in the first place!Â* They were clearly taken from this unit,
and put into another keyboard.Â* And I noticed on the Vintage Synth
website, that they are selling these springs USED, for about $4 a piece!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Hmmmm....no wonder people like to buy old keyboards for the
parts only!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* :/

Â*Â*Â* I just need to clean the key springs, and buy new ones
for the ones that are missing.

Â*Â*Â* But a weird sounding keyboard for sure!Â* Nothing like
that old Italian analog sound!

Â*Â*Â* Ok, can I just go to somewhere like Home Depot, and
get stock spring, to replace the old, worn out key
springs?Â* Like get a long length of it, and cut them
to size?

Â*Â*Â* Here is a picture of similar Crumar key springs:

https://xbs111.files.wordpress.com/2...-springs-2.jpg

Â*Â*Â* Thanks for any advice.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Ok, the guitar string idea works great!Â* 0.052"!

Â*Â*Â*Â* There isn't really an issue with a difference
in the feel of the action, because like most organs,
each key is only ON or OFF.Â* There is no velocity
information, and most of the forces on the key, come
from the thicker main spring of each key, not the thin
contact springs.Â* So consequently, I don't feel a
difference in the action, on the keys with the guitar
string replacement.

Â*Â*Â*Â* But I have found two more issues:

Â*Â*Â*Â* 1)Â* How do I level the white keys on this unit?

Â*Â*Â*Â* 2)Â* The high G# does not decay properly like the other keys.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* It almost acts like it has the sustain pedal down all the
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* time.Â* So it keeps sustaining while the other keys decay
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* and taper off as they should.Â* It seems like it's some
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* sort of RC time constant, so I will probe, and check
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* the components around this key, and compare them to it's
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* neighboring keys.

Ok, issue #2 has disappeared for some reason, after I cleaned
and did some in-circuit impedance checking. After checking the
keys again, the G# decays properly now.

I also found out how to level the keys. There is a small
plastic box on each key, and a corresponding metal finger for
each key, with a rubber stop on the top and bottom. This controls
the key dip, and the key leveling when at rest.

I could shim each key, but I don't think it's worth my
time, since I think the sound and play-ability of this keyboard
is not exactly my cup of tea. It's kind of like an analog
clavi-chord, with some vibrato, but it's rather limited, with only
the basic clav sound, and a basic electric piano voice.

So I will likely put this unit up on Ebay. I'm sure
a collector of old Italian keyboards will buy it! Definitely
a historical, and rare unit!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 5/13/2019 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/13/2019 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:
On 5/12/2019 3:16 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Ok, the guitar string idea works great!Â* 0.052"!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* There isn't really an issue with a difference
in the feel of the action, because like most organs,
each key is only ON or OFF.Â* There is no velocity
information, and most of the forces on the key, come
from the thicker main spring of each key, not the thin
contact springs.Â* So consequently, I don't feel a
difference in the action, on the keys with the guitar
string replacement.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But I have found two more issues:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 1)Â* How do I level the white keys on this unit?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 2)Â* The high G# does not decay properly like the other keys.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* It almost acts like it has the sustain pedal down all the
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* time.Â* So it keeps sustaining while the other keys decay
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* and taper off as they should.Â* It seems like it's some
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* sort of RC time constant, so I will probe, and check
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* the components around this key, and compare them to it's
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* neighboring keys.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Ok, issue #2 has disappeared for some reason, after I cleaned
and did some in-circuit impedance checking.Â* After checking the
keys again, the G# decays properly now.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I also found out how to level the keys.Â* There is a small
plastic box on each key, and a corresponding metal finger for
each key, with a rubber stop on the top and bottom.Â* This controls
the key dip, and the key leveling when at rest.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I could shim each key, but I don't think it's worth my
time, since I think the sound and play-ability of this keyboard
is not exactly my cup of tea.Â* It's kind of like an analog
clavi-chord, with some vibrato, but it's rather limited, with only
the basic clav sound, and a basic electric piano voice.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* So I will likely put this unit up on Ebay.Â* I'm sure
a collector of old Italian keyboards will buy it!Â* Definitely
a historical, and rare unit!

Ok, I'm going to have to replace ALL of the original
key contact springs with 0.052" guitar string.

Why? The original contact spring metal is SUPER
thin and skinny, so much so, that even on the springs
that are not broken, most of them have formed a little
kink at the point which they contact the "key ON" bar,
which makes the contact very intermittent and unsure.
This affects the volume of the attack of the note, which
ends up being too quiet (or sometimes completely dead) on the keys
that have the original springs.

This is to be expected on a keyboard made sometime in the
70's, but even if I had been successful in finding new contact
springs identical to the originals (I thankfully wasn't!), I still think
the 0.052" guitar string would perform better, because the
increased stiffness reduces the latency between the "key OFF" bar (which
charges each capacitor), and the "key ON" bar (for discharge).

To be continued.....