Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Default SM7B everywhere people speak

Is it really all that?

(Serious question.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Nick, what exactly are you asking?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, PStamler wrote:
Nick, what exactly are you asking?

Whether it's popular because it's such a great mic for voiceover.

I could post dozens of links to people using them, and I don't know the mic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/03/2019 4:13 PM, nickbatz wrote:
On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, PStamler wrote:
Nick, what exactly are you asking?

Whether it's popular because it's such a great mic for voiceover.

I could post dozens of links to people using them, and I don't know the mic.

It's OK. RE20 is better IMO.

Check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGEukqFfTA

https://www.gearsavvy.com/blog/sm7b-vs-re20

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/03/2019 6:20 PM, geoff wrote:
On 18/03/2019 4:13 PM, nickbatz wrote:
On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, PStamler wrote:
Nick, what exactly are you asking?

Whether it's popular because it's such a great mic for voiceover.

I could post dozens of links to people using them, and I don't know
the mic.

It's OK. RE20 is better IMO.

Check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGEukqFfTA

https://www.gearsavvy.com/blog/sm7b-vs-re20

geoff

Oh, and the robotic-sounding dude in the video could have done a better
proximity test by moving away and back in a continuous manner rather
than in steps. It may have demonstrated the RE20 lack of proximity
effect better.

If you can tell anything via YouTube audio ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

nickbatz wrote:
On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, PStamler wrote:
Nick, what exactly are you asking?

Whether it's popular because it's such a great mic for voiceover.

I could post dozens of links to people using them, and I don't know the mic.

It's clean, it's directional, it's not too huge-sounding, and you can
eat it without popping.

When I started out in radio, the popular announcer mikes were RCA ribbons
but they were quickly being replaced with the more fashionable Sennheiser 421.
Then those were out and the RE-20 was in. Then the RE-20 was out and the
SM-7 was in. Then the SM-7 was out and the RE-27 was in. All of these are
fine mikes for a wide variety of voices.

The SM-7, with switches set flat, is not as bright as what people today like,
but I consider that an advantage. Don't use the switches, use external EQ
if you want to EQ the thing.

I seem to have missed the SM-5. You still see one now and then but they
never seemed to be anything program directors were demanding.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:02:43 PM UTC-4, nickbatz wrote:
Is it really all that?

(Serious question.)

What Scott said.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tatonik Tatonik is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

nickbatz wrote:
[...]

--scott

Has the Sennheiser MD-441 ever been popular in radio?

What little I've heard of the Electro-Voice RE27 sounded nasty to me.
Maybe I haven't heard it on the right voice yet or with the right
switches engaged. I have an RE20 that I mostly like on my own voice as
long as I don't get closer than about 4 inches. Although there's no
proximity effect, it sounds gloppy to me if I get too close. Haven't
tried a Shure SM7B.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 4:02:43 PM UTC-7, nickbatz wrote:
Is it really all that?

(Serious question.)

Great, thanks everyone.

Geoff:

"It may have demonstrated the RE20 lack of proximity
effect better."

Right, but that's a mic I do know, so for me it doesn't matter.

"If you can tell anything via YouTube audio .... "

Sure you can!

And - duck and run comment - the most interesting thing about that video to me was that you could switch mics in the middle of a phrase and only audio professionals listening closely would notice! (Assuming the levels are matched, of course.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/03/2019 6:20 PM, geoff wrote:
On 18/03/2019 4:13 PM, nickbatz wrote:
On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, PStamler wrote:
Nick, what exactly are you asking?

Whether it's popular because it's such a great mic for voiceover.

I could post dozens of links to people using them, and I don't know
the mic.

It's OK. RE20 is better IMO.

Check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGEukqFfTA

https://www.gearsavvy.com/blog/sm7b-vs-re20

geoff

I have both.

I find the overall character of the SM7B to be a little spitty and harsh
- similarly to a SM58.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tatonik wrote:

Has the Sennheiser MD-441 ever been popular in radio?

Not in the US. Broadcasters are much too cheap, and the 441 is much too
easy to pop if you eat it. It shows up as a desk mike for interviews in
Europe where broadcasters have money.

What little I've heard of the Electro-Voice RE27 sounded nasty to me.
Maybe I haven't heard it on the right voice yet or with the right
switches engaged. I have an RE20 that I mostly like on my own voice as
long as I don't get closer than about 4 inches. Although there's no
proximity effect, it sounds gloppy to me if I get too close. Haven't
tried a Shure SM7B.

The RE27 is like the RE20 made bright and punchy. It is a fashionable
sound. I don't much like it, and the presence peak makes it less useful
in general (both on voices and instruments) but lots of people do.

Shure SM7b Question Sean B Pro Audio 2 October 31st 18 10:53 AM
The will of the people, so to speak Glanbrok[_2_] Audio Opinions 8 March 22nd 10 08:35 AM
Shure SM7B adam79 Pro Audio 8 October 26th 07 09:03 AM
SM7b or RE27? rich Pro Audio 10 March 20th 06 09:13 AM
FS:dbx, Valley People etcFor Sale 1 - dbx 586 Tube Mic Preamp•Perfect condition in original box $400.00 1-Valley People Dynamite •Very good condition$300.00 1 - Valley People 415 DeEsser$250.00 •Great DeEss Derek Studios Marketplace 0 June 6th 05 08:49 PM