Posted to rec.audio.pro
urbanopolis urbanopolis is offline

Default R.I.P.Les Paul

you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arkansan Raider Arkansan Raider is offline

urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

R.I.P.

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:58:52 -0700, urbanopolis wrote:

you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

He says here that he invented what seems
to be a delay. I remember that we used to
have up to 2-sec delay boxes before I would
guess that there were microprocessors in guitar
pedals. Is that what this is? How did they work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:19:30 -0500, Arkansan Raider
wrote:

urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

R.I.P.

Indeed - I saw him at the Iridium a couple of years back, and he could
still give a stunning performance. I'd love to have seen him in the
sixties.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore[_3_] Eeyore[_3_] is offline

urbanopolis wrote:

you will be missed.
Amazing.

Sadly, we all run out of time. He must have had a good innings ( UK
cricket term ) though.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore[_3_] Eeyore[_3_] is offline

Tobiah wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:58:52 -0700, urbanopolis wrote:

you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

He says here that he invented what seems
to be a delay. I remember that we used to
have up to 2-sec delay boxes before I would
guess that there were microprocessors in guitar
pedals. Is that what this is? How did they work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

I didn't watch the clip but the common methods for delay were tape loops
and rotary magnetic drums. Example of each, WEM Copycat and Binson
Echorec.

They also had several displaced replay heads to create a reverb too.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Posted to rec.audio.pro
dwgriffi dwgriffi is offline

On Aug 13, 1:44*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

Sadly, we all run out of time. He must have had a good innings ( UK
cricket term ) though.

Didn't we all just assume he'd never not be around?

To have a great mind that gets a kick out of the young people coming
up in a changing field is an incredible blessing to us. Thanks for
being so inspiring to us, Les.

R.I.P.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tobiah wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:58:52 -0700, urbanopolis wrote:

you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

He says here that he invented what seems
to be a delay. I remember that we used to
have up to 2-sec delay boxes before I would
guess that there were microprocessors in guitar
pedals. Is that what this is? How did they work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

Those delay boxes were bucket brigade devices. I think the device he is
demonstrating is actually a tape delay system, which predates the BBD by
quite a few years, but I am not positive.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Those delay boxes were bucket brigade devices. I think the
device he is demonstrating is actually a tape delay system,
which predates the BBD by quite a few years, but I am not
positive.

Awfully small tape recorder...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
Those delay boxes were bucket brigade devices. I think the
device he is demonstrating is actually a tape delay system,
which predates the BBD by quite a few years, but I am not
positive.

Awfully small tape recorder...

What you see on the guitar is the remote control, the actual effects
device is elsewhere. This was also very common in the era.

I think I still have a Cooper Timecube remote around here somewhere.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Tobiah wrote:

He says here that he invented what seems
to be a delay.

He didn't invent much of what he claimed he did (including the
multitrack recorder). But
what he did, and why he's so well respected, was for making
technological developments
an important and integral part of his music. He was an inventor, an
innovator, and a
wisecracker, but first and last, a musician.

He wasn't the first one to do overdubbing between two turntables, but he
took it further
than anyone else, and he figured out how to do it on one tape deck so
that he could
record on the road without having to carry two recorders.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Aug 13, 3:41*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
Tobiah wrote:
He says here that he invented what seems
to be a delay. *

He didn't invent much of what he claimed he did (including the
multitrack recorder). But
what he did, and why he's so well respected, was for making
technological developments
an important and integral part of his music. He was an inventor, an
innovator, and *a
wisecracker, but first and last, a musician.

He wasn't the first one to do overdubbing between two turntables, but he
took it further
than anyone else, and he figured out how to do it on one tape deck so
that he could
record on the road without having to carry two recorders.

me he
)

IIRC, the "multitraking" he introduced required the re-recording each
time of all previously recorded tracks - so quality suffered as new
"tracks" were laid in.
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.pro
garyvee garyvee is offline

On Aug 13, 9:58*am, urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

A performance with Mary Ford of "World is Waiting for the Sunrise". An
amazing guitarist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGXP_UBog4

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.classical

wrote:

urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

R.I.P.

Indeed - I saw him at the Iridium a couple of years back, and he could
still give a stunning performance. I'd love to have seen him in the
sixties.

Les Paul was a hack. A hack guitarist. And even a bigger hack as an
"inventor". Anyone could have invented the electric geetar. I've invented
much more complex **** than that.

Even in this thread. Do you have no shame?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.classical

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 02:25:23 -0400, "Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[snip]

Even in this thread. Do you have no shame?

Don,
Brian L. McCarty has no shame. I have seen him spit on the dead many
times.

I can believe it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"urbanopolis" wrote in message
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

A gentle soul, a fine human being.

The electric guitar may be unique. A new instrument, it took only twenty
years to spread through the entire world. Can anyone think of any other
gadget in that category? You go to Katmandu, to the Steppes of Central Asia,
you'll find the electric guitar. Maybe not to western Tibet, yet

I submit that the electric guitar did as much to tear down the Iron Curtain
and promote democracy as any other single thing.

You may not be that far off.

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Frank_Zappa's_Crusade_%E2%80%93_25_Years_And_Count ing

Search for "Your records were never distributed in these countries"

It took to the corners of
the globe the idea of free expression, cleverly concealed as a musical
instrument

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Engineer wrote:

IIRC, the "multitraking" he introduced required the re-recording each
time of all previously recorded tracks - so quality suffered as new
"tracks" were laid in.

And this made his recordings unacceptable? Kids today have it too easy!

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The electric guitar may be unique. A new instrument, it took
only twenty years to spread through the entire world.

The VCR. The DVD player. Heck, the Polaroid camera. There are probably at
least a dozen others. TV, anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.classical
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

R.I.P.

Indeed - I saw him at the Iridium a couple of years back, and he could
still give a stunning performance. I'd love to have seen him in the
sixties.

Les Paul was a hack. A hack guitarist. And even a bigger hack as an
"inventor". Anyone could have invented the electric geetar. I've invented
much more complex **** than that.

Even in this thread. Do you have no shame?

Hey, smell the buzzard manu X-Complaints-To:

Piffledick McCrappy imagines the legend invented in his own mind is
complex ****. He's correct on the noun, incorrect on the adjective.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

garyvee wrote:
On Aug 13, 9:58 am, urbanopolis wrote:
you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

A performance with Mary Ford of "World is Waiting for the Sunrise". An
amazing guitarist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGXP_UBog4

Gary V

That's good stuff, right there...

---Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:56:31 GMT, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Engineer wrote:

IIRC, the "multitraking" he introduced required the re-recording each
time of all previously recorded tracks - so quality suffered as new
"tracks" were laid in.

And this made his recordings unacceptable? Kids today have it too easy!

Looking at it from another perspective and seeing the equipment he
had available at the time, this made his recordings POSSIBLE.

Yeah, the kids these days have it easy, and they (we!) can thank
Les Paul, among others.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Aug 13, 10:09 pm, garyvee wrote:
On Aug 13, 9:58 am, urbanopolis wrote:

you will be missed.
Amazing.

jm

A performance with Mary Ford of "World is Waiting for the Sunrise". An
amazing guitarist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGXP_UBog4

Gary V

About a minute in you see a bunch of licks copped many many times
by Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. Lots of these guys stood over their
turntables for hours copping Les Paul.

Long may he RIP.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

soundhaspriority wrote:

buzzard **** from brian l mccarty snipped, again

and that's the way it goes

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.classical
Arkansan Raider Arkansan Raider is offline

J R Laredo wrote:
"Anyone" could have invented nearly everything. But, that didn't happen.
Someone did, and that someone happened to be Les Paul.

The guy you're responding to is a troll who is impersonating someone
else. Pay him no mind, as he doesn't have one.

A few years ago a guy I worked with was also the lead guitar of a local
band, Sly Dog. He was telling me about going to this concert or something,
when, "This old dude came out. Introduced as 'Les Paul'. And I'm thinking,
who the **** is Les Paul? And he started playing and. He. Blew. Me.
Away."

If you can't appreciate art, or and artist, well, that is so sad.

That's a cool story, JRL. Shows how things aren't always as they seem.

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.classical
MtnTraveler MtnTraveler is offline

J R Laredo wrote:
"Anyone" could have invented nearly everything. But, that didn't happen.
Someone did, and that someone happened to be Les Paul.

A few years ago a guy I worked with was also the lead guitar of a local
band, Sly Dog. He was telling me about going to this concert or something,
when, "This old dude came out. Introduced as 'Les Paul'. And I'm thinking,
who the **** is Les Paul? And he started playing and. He. Blew. Me.
Away."

If you can't appreciate art, or and artist, well, that is so sad.

I was living and working in the US when Les Paul had his TV show with
his wife, Mary Ford. The man was great then, and even greater still when
playing 30 years later. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to hear
him about 5 years ago, and although not quites as physically energetic,
his music was still just as wonderful.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bud--[_2_] bud--[_2_] is offline

Tobiah wrote:
[...]

From a book with some information on Les Paul:
In the early days recording was to records. Others were using
playback-to-new recording to add tracks but could only go to about 3
recordings because of noise. Les Paul's system could go quite a few more
levels. One way noise was controlled was to play just under the input
stage distortion point so signal to noise level was highest.
Consistently playing just under distortion level was reportedly not easy.

Early echo was done by adding a playback arm to the record cutter - the
sound was cut to a record and played back to create echo.

Later he had an 8 track tape recorder which made everything easier.

The Milwaukee Discovery Center (a science museum) has an interesting
display on Les Paul (or at least had one a month ago). Mostly about the
technical side.

(Apologies if this posts more than once)

--
bud--
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.classical
J R Laredo J R Laredo is offline

"Arkansan Raider" wrote in message
J R Laredo wrote:
"Anyone" could have invented nearly everything. But, that didn't happen.
Someone did, and that someone happened to be Les Paul.

The guy you're responding to is a troll who is impersonating someone else.
Pay him no mind, as he doesn't have one.

Well, yeah, I knew he was worthless, but, someone who is gullible and
impressionable might have read his opinion as fact so I had to make some
attempt to counter it.

RIP Les Paul Jenn[_2_] Audio Opinions 8 August 14th 09 01:50 AM
Les Paul Jenn Audio Opinions 10 July 15th 07 07:13 AM
R.I.P Paul Pollack PKAAUDIO Pro Audio 1 December 10th 03 02:14 AM
Thanks Paul!!! Paul Vina Car Audio 0 July 3rd 03 03:56 PM