Hong

Default Replacing Tweeters for Proac 2.5

One of my friend's kids damaged my beloved Proac 2.5 speakers. Both
tweeters were so thoroughly pushed in that even after the suck-out by
vacuum cleaner they still leave wrinkles around the periphery.
Although they do play music ok, it is so disheartening and I have to
do something about it. I am contemplating the following options, and
any expert's advice will be appreciated:

1. Send them to Proac: Has anyone had experience with the repair
service with Proac in US? Is it possible at all and is the price
reasonable?

2. Replace the tweeters myself: It looks like the Scan-Speak tweeters
are quite popular so that I may be able to buy identical tweeters. If
I buy a pair (such as D2010/851300) and carefully replace them (with
soldering if needed), should I expect them to sound like a brand new
pair? Or is there any "expert's touch" necessary to fine-tune and
balance the units?

Or should I forget all that, cover up with the grills, and pretend as
if nothing happened? The tweeters are not ripped, and they still
sound reasonably good. How bad does a "wrinkled" tweeter get?

Thanks for the input to relieve my anxiety.

Hong

Rich.Andrews

(Hong) wrote in news:d5fIc.59007$IQ4.5341@attbi_s02:

[...]

My youngest son damaged my speakers years ago. I didn't feel like fixing
them just to have something else stupid happen to them, so I put all the
equipment away and then brought it all out when he reached 20. I bought
new speakers and sold off the old ones. As a matter of fact, I kept only
the preamp and tuner and sold off or junked everything else. Now I am
quite happy and making up for lost listening time. (:)

Wrinkles don't matter much. Cover it up and pretend nothing happened.
Something else stupid will happen and then you will be glad you didn't
spend the money to fix them to new condition. You might buy 2 new
tweeters and keep them put away for when the wrinkled ones fail. Might as
well check into the price of woofers as well.

Without knowing what the original driver characteristics are, it may be
hard to find a match. Tweeters are generally cheaper than woofers, so you
might be able to get some new ones for less than $50.00.

Bottom line? If it sounds OK, don't fix it.

Uptown Audio

"Rich.Andrews" wrote:
"Cover it up and pretend nothing happened.
Something else stupid will happen and then you will be glad you didn't
spend the money to fix them to new condition." & "Bottom line? If
it sounds OK, don't fix it."

Two good points and friendly advise if I might say so. You could get
new drivers and install them yourself. If you look at the back of the
drivers, they should have model numbers on them. If you can't find an
exact match or just don't want to spend the dough, don't worry about
it. It won't make a huge amount of difference as only the very fine
details have been modified, but they will not be "perfect". Not that
"perfect" is an obtainable (or desireable) goal, but you could always
have a spare as I actully did for my wife's set of JM Lab speakers in
the event that those tweeters fail. They should be around $100/pr. or
so, so not too terribly expensive.

You could always just beat your friend's kids or insist that they
leave Duct Tape with you when they leave the room, but I'll leave that
"Nugget of Wisdom/Stupidity" up to you...

-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing beats the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with DLT

tapes.