Default NTI CD-Maker puts goddamn CLICKS between audio tracks?

I'm in the process of making digital recordings of all my old analog
albums, using an old SB Live card in an even older PC. The recording
process works fine, as long as I allow several dB of headroom above the
highest peaks -- the SBLive has a rather soft analog clip a bit below
the digital limit.

The problem comes when I attempt to burn the audio from my hard drive
onto a CD. This is done on a more up-to-date machine, which is running
Windows 2000 (I just couldn't stomach XP) and has NTI CD-Maker "2000
Plus" v5.1.17, some version of which comes with most burners. I divide
the giant WAV recording into tracks, and then slap those tracks into
CD-Maker and burn the disc... and when I play it back, there's this
huge CLICK every time it crosses a track change!

Is this something other people have run into, or is it my own special
good fortune? Is this a known shortcoming of NTI CD-Maker 5? Has
anyone solved this problem by changing software or hardware or
something, or is this something I just have to deal with by guesswork?

And if NTI is the problem, as I suppose is probably the case, what do
people recommend as a simple and affordable replacement for it?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark D. Zacharias

This is sometimes a problem when burning in Track-at-Once mode instead of
Disc-at-Once mode, which you should normally do anyway.
NTI has tech support, maybe talk to them if you can't figure how to do this,
but it should be there in the Options somewhere.

The clicks are probably caused by a DC offset, however slight, at the
beginning of the tracks. Some editing software can probably fix this. My old
DC Art program did. If not DC then the "click" can be edited out just like
any other click or pop.

Mark Z.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Richard Crowley

paul wrote ...
I'm in the process of making digital recordings of all
my old analog albums, using an old SB Live card in
an even older PC. The recording process works fine,
as long as I allow several dB of headroom above the
highest peaks -- the SBLive has a rather soft analog clip
a bit below the digital limit.

My condolonces. The limiting is really harsh. I threw out
the lousy thing and went and bought a $14 generic sound
card that sounds 300% better.

The problem comes when I attempt to burn the audio from
my hard drive onto a CD. This is done on a more up-to-
date machine, which is running Windows 2000 (I just couldn't
stomach XP) and has NTI CD-Maker "2000 Plus" v5.1.17,
some version of which comes with most burners. I divide
the giant WAV recording into tracks, and then slap those
tracks into CD-Maker and burn the disc... and when I play
it back, there's this huge CLICK every time it crosses a
track change!

I have found that if you don't "fade-in" at the beginning of the track
and "fade-out" at the end, you will hear the step function as the
CD player un-mutes from zero to whatever DC offset is in your
audio data.
Arny Krueger

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

The problem comes when I attempt to burn the audio from
my hard drive onto a CD. This is done on a more up-to-
date machine, which is running Windows 2000 (I just couldn't
stomach XP) and has NTI CD-Maker "2000 Plus" v5.1.17,
some version of which comes with most burners. I divide
the giant WAV recording into tracks, and then slap those
tracks into CD-Maker and burn the disc... and when I play
it back, there's this huge CLICK every time it crosses a
track change!

I have found that if you don't "fade-in" at the beginning of the track
and "fade-out" at the end, you will hear the step function as the
CD player un-mutes from zero to whatever DC offset is in your
audio data.

Agreed - doing proper fade-in and fade-out at the end of every track can
save a lot of grief. This is particularly true of vinyl and cassette
transcriptions.

Often, with a little artful fade-in and fade-out, you can almost make it
seem like those old cassettes and LPs really didn't have a lot of background
noise.

Dave Platt

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

It would be worth "ripping" the resulting CD, and taking a look at the
digital version of the track transitions.

When a CD is burned in "track at once" mode, it is normal for the
burner to place a two-second "pregap" between tracks. This pregap is
usually filled with "digital silence" - that is, zero samples.

The click you are hearing could come from any of several things:

[1] If your audio WAV file has a DC offset in it - that is, if the
average value is not close to zero - then the transitions from
"WAV file silence" to "digital-zero silence" would involve a
sudden jump in the level. You'd probably hear a pair of
clicks, separated by two seconds.

[2] If you are cutting the WAV files into track segments using software
which is not "CD aware", you might be putting the cut points at
locations which don't correspond to CD frame boundaries (1/75 of a
second). This would force CD Maker to either discard a fraction
of a frame's worth of data, or pad out the last frame with
zeros... and it's even possible that a bug in the software causes
it to pad the last frame with garbage or with repeated data
(either of which would probably cause noise).

I suggest that you might get better results if you use software which
allows you to record in "disc at once" mode, and use the burning
software to set the inter-track boundaries. This allows the
transcribed LP data to be burned as a single digital stream (per
side of the album), without the two-second digital-silence pregap
placed between tracks.

I do this on Linux using the "cdrdao" software (and its GCDMaster
graphical user interface front-end) with very good results.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Dave Platt wrote:

When a CD is burned in "track at once" mode, it is normal for the
burner to place a two-second "pregap" between tracks. This pregap is
usually filled with "digital silence" - that is, zero samples.

The click you are hearing could come from any of several things:

[1] If your audio WAV file has a DC offset in it - that is, if the
average value is not close to zero - then the transitions from
"WAV file silence" to "digital-zero silence" would involve a
sudden jump in the level. You'd probably hear a pair of
clicks, separated by two seconds.

My tracks do have a fade-in and fade-out... I made them just a few
milliseconds long so the ear wouldn't notice a hole in the background
noise. And I just checked and the software is burning disc-at-once.

[2] If you are cutting the WAV files into track segments using

software
which is not "CD aware", you might be putting the cut points at
locations which don't correspond to CD frame boundaries (1/75 of

second). This would force CD Maker to either discard a fraction
of a frame's worth of data, or pad out the last frame with
zeros... and it's even possible that a bug in the software causes
it to pad the last frame with garbage or with repeated data
(either of which would probably cause noise).

That must be it. So what's the exact size I have to use a multiple of?
(google google) 588 samples, right?

The software's documentation seems to claim that this should not be a
problem... Okay, I'm going to try padding my tracks to multiples of
588.

I suggest that you might get better results if you use software which
allows you to record in "disc at once" mode, and use the burning
software to set the inter-track boundaries. This allows the
transcribed LP data to be burned as a single digital stream (per
side of the album), without the two-second digital-silence pregap
placed between tracks.

I do this on Linux using the "cdrdao" software (and its GCDMaster
graphical user interface front-end) with very good results.

I wonder what there is for Windoze that does this. NTI doesn't have
such a feature. Since my files are mostly not divided into tracks,
saving that step would help.

(me) wrote:

Okay, I'm going to try padding my tracks to multiples of 588.

That didn't help. When I read the track back again, it turned out that
the "click" is a bunch of gibberish about 24 samples long about 96
samples from the start of each track, all on the positive side of the
zero line. This suggests to me that it's ASCII getting interpreted as
sound. I look at the hex of the ripped track and at about the right
place I see stuff along the lines of
"LIST....INFOICRD....2003-10-26..IENG....Paul Kienitz..ISFT....Sound
Forge XP 4.0" with bunches of zeroes on either side. When I look at
the original track that was dropped onto the disk, this is the crap
that was at the very end of the file. So apparently the metadata from
one track spilled over into the next as audio. Meaning that the NTI
CD-Maker doesn't know how to clean it out of WAV format files that it
reads in. Which is just totally lame. I mean, if one claims to
support a given file format, one should at least have SOMEONE in the
office glance over the format specs before shipping the product...

So now I'll try re-saving all those tracks with all possible metadata
excluded.

(burn burn)

Hey, now it works okay!

Dave Platt

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Aha, this is making sense now.

WAV is a particular variety of RIFF file... a multi-section tagged
file which can contain several different sorts of data. One chunk
contains the file format information (number of channels, sample bit
depth, sampling rate, sample interpretation, etc.), there can be a
commentary block or other miscellaneous blocks, and then there's the
block of samples.

Some programmers assume that the data sub-chunk is the last one in
the file (which is true for the great majority of WAV files), don't
bother to look at the chunkSize field in the chunk header, and just
burn everything from the start of the waveform data up through the end
of the file.

Yeah, it's lame, and comes from an inadequate understanding of the
RIFF/WAV sorta-standard. I blushingly admit that I made this mistake
once myself, around 15 years ago.

Complain to the software author and ask for a fix.

For it's worth I've heard good things about the burning software from
www.goldenhawk.com - the price doesn't look bad and it's said to work
well.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Richard Crowley

paulkienitz wrote ...
[...]

I agree, that is incredibly lame. I'd demand my money back for
such a brain-dead product.

So now I'll try re-saving all those tracks with all possible metadata
excluded.

You shouldn't have to work-around such stupidity. Most other
audio CD burning apps are smart enough to properly interperet
WAV files. I like Cheetah Burner, myself.

Jim

wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I recently installed a new DVD/CD burner on my PC and it came with the Nero
software. For once in my life, I decided to RTFM first and I ran across
this little gem, which might be the solution to your problem...

"If possible, audio CDs should always be burned in the 'Disc-at-once' mode.
This will make the most out of the features the Nero offers and will avoid
unwanted 'hiss and crackle' between individual tracks."

I'm not familiar with the NTI software, but if does support Disc-at-once,
try it.

Jim
Richard Crowley

I recently installed a new DVD/CD burner on my PC and it
came with the Nero software. For once in my life, I decided
to RTFM first and I ran across this little gem, which might be
the solution to your problem...

"If possible, audio CDs should always be burned in the
'Disc-at-once' mode. This will make the most out of the
features the Nero offers and will avoid unwanted 'hiss
and crackle' between individual tracks."

Unless they can offer a competent technical explanation of how
this happens, it sounds like marketing gibberish. No proper
CD player will un-mute unless it has a reliable bitstream of
audio data to decode. Extraneous digits at the beginning and
end of a "track" will be thrown away as noise before they ever
get translated into audio.
Jim

"Richard Crowley" wrote in news:10up0tltjtpl635
@corp.supernews.com:

I recently installed a new DVD/CD burner on my PC and it
came with the Nero software. For once in my life, I decided
to RTFM first and I ran across this little gem, which might be
the solution to your problem...

"If possible, audio CDs should always be burned in the
'Disc-at-once' mode. This will make the most out of the
features the Nero offers and will avoid unwanted 'hiss
and crackle' between individual tracks."

Unless they can offer a competent technical explanation of how
this happens, it sounds like marketing gibberish. No proper
CD player will un-mute unless it has a reliable bitstream of
audio data to decode. Extraneous digits at the beginning and
end of a "track" will be thrown away as noise before they ever
get translated into audio.

No, it doesn't sound like marketing giberish. Earlier in the manual they
described the difference between track-at-once and disc-at-once recording.
Apparently they (and, presumably, others) turn off the laser between tracks
when recording in track-at-once mode; in disc-at-once mode, the laser stays
on and gives a clean transition from track to track. In other words, in
track-at-once mode, the entity being recorded is the track, not the
complete disc.

I still think it's a worthwhile experiment for the original poster,
assuming that he's still using the NTI software and that NTI supports disc-
at-once recording.

Dave Platt wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Indeed it makes perfect sense.

WAV is a particular variety of RIFF file... a multi-section tagged
file which can contain several different sorts of data. One chunk
contains the file format information (number of channels, sample bit
depth, sampling rate, sample interpretation, etc.), there can be a
commentary block or other miscellaneous blocks, and then there's the
block of samples.

Some programmers assume that the data sub-chunk is the last one in
the file (which is true for the great majority of WAV files), don't
bother to look at the chunkSize field in the chunk header, and just
burn everything from the start of the waveform data up through the

end
of the file.

This is the whole issue that has been discussed at length in the
various standards organizations (e.g., AESSC, of which I am a member
and was heavily involved when AES-46 was being reviewed) and comes
under the heading of "end chunk problems". An "end chunk" is one
which follows the data chunk in a RIFF file. It is known that there
are a number of programs that do not properly deal with end chunks,
i.e., they assume the data chunk is the final one in the file and
just blindly go reading to the end of the file. Doing it right is
actually EASY, so this piece of software is TRYLU lame.

But, by the same token, the industry AS A WHOLE knows that such
programs exist so a convention has developed to NOT put chunks after
the data chunk just so they don't kick this particular skunk.

In other words, Sound Forge SHOULD know better: it should know how
to properly construct a wave file so that it is compatible with the
widest range of potential applications, and not writing end chunks
is one way of doing that (they're writing an INFO chunk, which is
fairly quickly becoming obsolete in professional applications
anyway because of its complete lack of standardization).

So, yes, NTI CD-maker is a piece of **** for doing what they're
doing, but so is Sound Forge for doing what they're doing as well.

Richard Crowley

"Jim" wrote ...
No, it doesn't sound like marketing giberish. Earlier in the
manual they described the difference between track-at-once
and disc-at-once recording. Apparently they (and, presumably,
others) turn off the laser between tracks when recording in
track-at-once mode; in disc-at-once mode, the laser stays
on and gives a clean transition from track to track. In other
words, in track-at-once mode, the entity being recorded is
the track, not the complete disc.

Hate to break it to you, but virtually all CDR hardware and
software uses both track-at-once and disc-at-once modes.
If you can't cite any information beyond the original gibberish,
suggest learning how CD players work might be instructional.

Jimbo

"Richard Crowley" wrote in
:

"Jim" wrote ...
No, it doesn't sound like marketing giberish. Earlier in the
manual they described the difference between track-at-once
and disc-at-once recording. Apparently they (and, presumably,
others) turn off the laser between tracks when recording in
track-at-once mode; in disc-at-once mode, the laser stays
on and gives a clean transition from track to track. In other
words, in track-at-once mode, the entity being recorded is
the track, not the complete disc.

Hate to break it to you, but virtually all CDR hardware and
software uses both track-at-once and disc-at-once modes.
If you can't cite any information beyond the original gibberish,
suggest learning how CD players work might be instructional.

Not being so quick to pull the trigger on gratuitous putdowns in your posts
could be helpful, too.

I simply quoted material in Nero's user manual where they recommended using
disc-at-once mode instead of track-at-once for recording audio CDs.
Granted, the manual is dumbed down, but I've got to assume that they have
valid reasons for making that recommendation. I can't see how their
recommendation could be interpreted as marketing-related.

-- JS