Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary V

Default Recording Magazine Reamp DIY Box Part Problem

In the process of ordering the parts for the reamplification
box project as per the article by Scott Dorsey in the April 2006
Recording magazine, I discovered the 0.1 H inductor (Digi-Key
part number M7104-ND) is not normally stocked and requires
a minimum order of 100 to order.

Perhaps I located the wrong part on the Digi-Key website
because I think there is a slight typo in the magazine article
which lists the part as M-7104-ND rather than M7104-ND. I
also think the part number for the Female panel XLR is
incorrectly listed and should be SC1009-ND.

I wonder if there is a substitute inductor at Digi-Key I could
order. So far I have found they carry all the other parts
as Scott mentioned in his article.

Thanks,
Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Gary V" wrote ...

In the process of ordering the parts for the reamplification
box project as per the article by Scott Dorsey in the April 2006
Recording magazine, I discovered the 0.1 H inductor (Digi-Key
part number M7104-ND) is not normally stocked and requires
a minimum order of 100 to order.

Perhaps I located the wrong part on the Digi-Key website
because I think there is a slight typo in the magazine article
which lists the part as M-7104-ND rather than M7104-ND. I
also think the part number for the Female panel XLR is
incorrectly listed and should be SC1009-ND.

DigiKey is the last place to buy XLR connectors.
Highest prices I've ever seen. Dunno what they're
thinkin'?

I wonder if there is a substitute inductor at Digi-Key I could
order. So far I have found they carry all the other parts
as Scott mentioned in his article.

Using the DigiKey search box with: 100000 uH
reveals 13 products, 8 of which are in stock.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Gary V wrote:

In the process of ordering the parts for the reamplification
box project as per the article by Scott Dorsey in the April 2006
Recording magazine, I discovered the 0.1 H inductor (Digi-Key
part number M7104-ND) is not normally stocked and requires
a minimum order of 100 to order.

Yeesh. That was not the case when the article was published... it
was a standard stocked item, and it is in paper catalogue TD041.
Did they tell you this on the phone?

Perhaps I located the wrong part on the Digi-Key website
because I think there is a slight typo in the magazine article
which lists the part as M-7104-ND rather than M7104-ND. I
also think the part number for the Female panel XLR is
incorrectly listed and should be SC1009-ND.

These are more parts number changes that are the result of the RoHS
stuff. The new part numbers are lead-free and the old lead ones are
no long available. Which is irritating.

I wonder if there is a substitute inductor at Digi-Key I could
order. So far I have found they carry all the other parts
as Scott mentioned in his article.

You could use an M9275-ND, but it would cost eight bucks, which is a lot
more money. Or you could use two M7473-ND ones in series, which would come
to six bucks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary V

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Gary V wrote:

In the process of ordering the parts for the reamplification
box project as per the article by Scott Dorsey in the April 2006
Recording magazine, I discovered the 0.1 H inductor (Digi-Key
part number M7104-ND) is not normally stocked and requires
a minimum order of 100 to order.

Yeesh. That was not the case when the article was published... it
was a standard stocked item, and it is in paper catalogue TD041.
Did they tell you this on the phone?

No, I learned this via their web ordering process. I saw the lead
warning in the technical document so I surmised it was not longer
generally available.

Perhaps I located the wrong part on the Digi-Key website
because I think there is a slight typo in the magazine article
which lists the part as M-7104-ND rather than M7104-ND. I
also think the part number for the Female panel XLR is
incorrectly listed and should be SC1009-ND.

These are more parts number changes that are the result of the RoHS
stuff. The new part numbers are lead-free and the old lead ones are
no long available. Which is irritating.

I wonder if there is a substitute inductor at Digi-Key I could
order. So far I have found they carry all the other parts
as Scott mentioned in his article.

You could use an M9275-ND, but it would cost eight bucks, which is a lot
more money. Or you could use two M7473-ND ones in series, which would come
to six bucks.
--scott

Thanks for the part recommendations. Also for anyone else interested
in this thread, I see there is a correction in the June 2006 Recording
issue stating: "the wiring diagram shows incorrect pin number placement
on the transformer: follow the pin numbers as shown on the actual part...".

Thanks again Scott. I am looking forward to building this
reamplification box.

Gary V