Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MD

Default Active Line Conditioners - why aren't they used more often?

I bought a 5A Tripp Lite unit that puts out 120v with 89v-149v in. The
devices are made for people with sloppy power or who suffer brown outs.
The unit also has EMI and RFI filtering. I believe the unit works by
first creating DC which kicks off an oscillator that is boosted to
created new/clean AC.

These units are very inexpensive. About the same price as high end line
conditioners that only filter. I don't understand why they aren't used
more. Seems to me they would be very beneficial and a heck of a lot
better than the filter only units that run in the thousands. They come
in sizes over 20A. (The only downside I see and it's small is that they
generate a magnetic field so they should be kept away from other
electronics and speakers)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR

MD wrote:
I bought a 5A Tripp Lite unit that puts out 120v with 89v-149v in. The
devices are made for people with sloppy power or who suffer brown outs.
The unit also has EMI and RFI filtering. I believe the unit works by
first creating DC which kicks off an oscillator that is boosted to
created new/clean AC.

These units are very inexpensive. About the same price as high end line
conditioners that only filter. I don't understand why they aren't used
more. Seems to me they would be very beneficial and a heck of a lot
better than the filter only units that run in the thousands. They come
in sizes over 20A. (The only downside I see and it's small is that they
generate a magnetic field so they should be kept away from other
electronics and speakers)

Is that possible??

There is a 500 watt syncronous oscillator with controlled phase/timing
built into the unit??

Or does it work via another method?

All the ones I know about that are not outright "re-generation" via
electronically recreated sinewave for full output power and cycle use a
switching scheme that merely "grabs" different taps to boost or reduce
the secondary's voltage with reference to the input's sag or boost.

_-_-bear

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MD

BEAR wrote:
MD wrote:

[...]

Thanks

You could be correct. However wouldn't that mean a lot of taps to grab?
89-140v - wouldn't that be at least 50 taps? Even so isn't it better
than having a unit that just filters?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR

MD wrote:
BEAR wrote:

MD wrote:

[...]

If you want something that merely filters, the generic AC filter
commonly referred to by the brand name ( like Kleenex ) "Corcom".

They are made in a wide range of shapes and sizes, providing common mode
filtering and shunt filtering, series filtering depending on model.

I use some in my system to provide a HF "block" between the digital
stuff and the rest... I build them into a "quad box" with outlets and
the filter(s) in grounded enclosed quad boxes. (the quad box is the
common name for the metal electrical box that fits two duplex AC outlets
here in the USA.)

Filtering is probably better in most cases than the variable tap system.
I think they don't have that many taps, they switch in 5vac increments,
or similar.

A good ISO transformer has merits as well.

I like the 240--120 step down myself.

Some folks seem to like the so-called balanced AC 60 - 0 - 60, where the
secondary has a Center Tap which is placed at ground. I am not quite as
convinced of this idea as some are.

The combination of an isolation transformer and the filter units makes
for pretty darn clean AC...imho, of course!

_-_-bear