Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Anyone knows what's this?

here's the pictu

http://spaces.msn.com/members/flying...aspx?_c01_phot...

My friend want to find some introduction to this utility. I don't know
what's the name. It seems like it's used to pick up the noise of the
laptop or pc. It's pretty precise, and can be used to pick up even very
slight sound. It also has a cupula to attract it to the plane.

So, if you know this ,may I know where I can find some introduction?

thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

majia.xx wrote ...
here's the pictu
http://spaces.msn.com/members/flying...aspx?_c01_phot...

My friend want to find some introduction to this utility. I don't know
what's the name. It seems like it's used to pick up the noise of the
laptop or pc. It's pretty precise, and can be used to pick up even
very
slight sound. It also has a cupula to attract it to the plane.

So, if you know this ,may I know where I can find some introduction?

What do you want to know? It is a simple inductive
pickup coil. Nothing more than a coil of wire inside
plastic cylinder with a rubber suction-cup.

What do you mean by "utility"? To most of us that word
refers to software, but I don' see any mention of software
in you question?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
flyingjeff

that's enough, thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joe Kesselman

Looks like a standard inductive telephone pickup. No clue why someone
attached it to a PC, though. Context?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Huw

Joe Kesselman wrote:
Looks like a standard inductive telephone pickup. No clue why someone
attached it to a PC, though. Context?

I don't see any photo at that link, but from what's described, how about an
audio keystroke logger?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ray_passwords/

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Huw" wrote...
Joe Kesselman wrote:
Looks like a standard inductive telephone pickup. No clue why someone
attached it to a PC, though. Context?

I don't see any photo at that link,

It is in the box in the upper right corner.

but from what's described, how about an
audio keystroke logger?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ray_passwords/

It is attached in a way that would be obvious even to an
un-sighted user. You can't put your hands on the keyboard
without it getting in the way of your left hand.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Huw

http://spaces.msn.com/members/flying...aspx?_c01_phot

I don't see any photo at that link,

It is in the box in the upper right corner.

Hmmm

Under the heading "Photo Album"?

That's empty for me. Do you have to be signed in?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Huw" wrote in message

http://spaces.msn.com/members/flying...aspx?_c01_phot

I don't see any photo at that link,

It is in the box in the upper right corner.

Hmmm

Under the heading "Photo Album"?

That's empty for me. Do you have to be signed in?

It was there back when the message was first posted.
Dunno what happened to it. It showed a close-up of
a laptop computer with an ordinary telephone inductive
coil stuck to the place exactly where your left wrist
would rest when using the keyboard. It would not be
possible to use the computer keyboard with the pickup
attached as shown in the photo.
On my computer, only the battery is in that locaton, and
unlikely to produce much interesting sound.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joe Kesselman

a laptop computer with an ordinary telephone inductive
coil stuck to the place exactly where your left wrist
would rest when using the keyboard.

It may not have been stuck there, just displayed there. The source,
whatever it was, may have been discussing using a PC to record a phone
conversation, or indeed may have been using this pickup to analyse some
other magnetic field entirely.

In other words, what it "is", is "completely out of context and not very
interesting without that context."