Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Legacy Audio speakers -

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:01:35 PM UTC-4, Howard Davis wrote:

It is unreasonable to expect that expensive high-performance speakers like

these will not become defective within 20 years if not abused?

In a word, Yes!

It is unreasonable to _EXPECT_ it. In general, I look at any mechanical device as an equation in several variables being:

a) Purpose
b) Initial quality
c) Cost
d) Performance
e) Use density

So, an electric drill, while a tool has a much different purpose than a hammer. And an Estwing hammer is of a much greater cost than a piece of Chinese Junque, while at a typically substantially higher first cost. It will also likely perform better. I would expect the Estwing to last 20+ years of hard use easily. I would not expect the Chinese hammer to do the same. However, if I hammered one nail per year and only into soft wood, either would likely last beyond my personal need.

I would not expect any electric tool to last 20 years of hard use without maintenance.

Speakers are the functional equivalent of electrical tools. And have internal components, parts and pieces subject to time (not use) related deterioration - capacitors, speaker surrounds, glues and so forth. Some of which may be relevant, some not. In summary, parts may deteriorate with use, certain types of magnets for one, some by abuse, some by age, some by all three. Further, what constitutes 'abuse' will also change with age.

At this time, I have six (6) sets of speakers in use. The newest of which is 25 years old, the oldest of which is 50 years old. The only ones that do not (yet) need or have not had some level of maintenance are the newest (AR M5s as it happens). But all of the others from the Maggies to the AR3as have had maintenance or repairs made to one extent or another from a new ribbon tweeter for the Maggies (my fault and a $140 fix) to a complete rebuild of the crossovers (AR3as), to new surrounds to refinishing the exteriors and installation of new grille-cloth.

That it is a hobby means that the normal (to me) care-and-feeding of my audio equipment gives me some pleasure and serves as good therapy. This may not apply to others. Installing new surrounds may be a PITA, but they are cheap and don't take much time. Nothing like peeling raisins or counting sugar.... As only one example.

But, if you think you are being ill-used by getting only 20 years out of your speakers - I truly suggest you should build your own. In that way you may have complete control of what goes into them, what you expect from them and the longevity you wish to achieve. There is lots of information out there on how to do it as well.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA