Ray Howell

Default Tonearm Dilemma

Recently my SME-V/Sota/Goldring record player developed a hum. I swapped out
the whole thing and the hum went away, thus eliminating the rest of the
system. Assuming the problem was in the phono cable, I tried to touch-up the
solder joints (on the tonearm end) at the DIN connector and now it's at
least as bad or worse. I'm in the Tampa area and there is no high end around
here. Can anyone advise what I might do or try...Are there any online
dealers where I could get a 'demo' cable to try (or any other suggestions??)
thanks in advance!
Jack W. Hart

Ray:

It's probably a ground loop that takes a lot of trial and error to nail
down. For starters, if you have "cable" connected to the system,
chances are, that's the culprit. Aragon makes a device that will fix it
but sometimes connecting 2 75 -- 300 ohm adapters back to back can do
the trick.

Happy hunting,

Jack

Ray Howell wrote:

Recently my SME-V/Sota/Goldring record player developed a hum. I swapped out
the whole thing and the hum went away, thus eliminating the rest of the
system. Assuming the problem was in the phono cable, I tried to touch-up the
solder joints (on the tonearm end) at the DIN connector and now it's at
least as bad or worse. I'm in the Tampa area and there is no high end around
here. Can anyone advise what I might do or try...Are there any online
dealers where I could get a 'demo' cable to try (or any other suggestions??)
thanks in advance!

dourmaj

I had a similar problem. I had some mods performed on my preamp (for
other reasons) but the phono hum remained. I changed cartridges, no
change. I even upgraded the tonearm: the trade in was worth it, but
the hum remained. I was so convinced it was the tonearm because it got
worse as I cued up say the second or third track and often improved at
the end of the LP. As time passed it worsened to anytime the preamp
was switched to phono. I thought the internal wiring of the arm was
loose.

My cable was a really nice custom silver braid, and as it turns out,
that was it. When I switched it with my old monster cable back up, all
gone. I think perhaps the grounding wire connection broke. If you
haven't already, check out yours it may be the culprit.

Jordan

I still need to find someone to fix the cable though

Ray Howell wrote:

Recently my SME-V/Sota/Goldring record player developed a hum. I swapped out
the whole thing and the hum went away, thus eliminating the rest of the
system. Assuming the problem was in the phono cable, I tried to touch-up the
solder joints (on the tonearm end) at the DIN connector and now it's at
least as bad or worse. I'm in the Tampa area and there is no high end around
here. Can anyone advise what I might do or try...Are there any online
dealers where I could get a 'demo' cable to try (or any other suggestions??)
thanks in advance!

Mission Mechanic tonearm - bearings don_perron Audio Opinions 8 May 4th 04 08:10 PM
Dilemma clamnebula Audio Opinions 15 February 28th 04 04:30 PM
Tonearm Mass and Suitable Cart - was Choosing Hi-Fi Cart/Stylus Doughboy Pro Audio 4 September 3rd 03 03:44 AM
New tonearm for AR XA: suggestions? Antti Nayha High End Audio 5 August 12th 03 03:16 AM