Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default m magnet or moving coil?

Which cartridge--moving magnet or moving coil [Dynavector, e.g.] would
be most suitable for my VPIHW19jr paired with Creek amp 5350SE?
thanks for help.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

wrote:
Which cartridge--moving magnet or moving coil [Dynavector, e.g.] would
be most suitable for my VPIHW19jr paired with Creek amp 5350SE?
thanks for help.

Rather depends on which modules you have in the 5350SE; mm or mc. You
also don't say what arm your HW19jr is fitted with (BTW, I can't find
any reference to the HW19jr, VPI's HW numbers seem to be reserved for
their cleaning machines.

If you have an MM module, I've found the Goldring 1042 to be rather
good. Only "problem" I've found with it is that it rides rather low,
only about 1mm above the record surface, so it won't play badly warped
records. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. It needs a medium to low
mass arm as the compliance is 24cu lateral, 16cu vertical. It works fine
in my EMT arm, but could benefit from slightly lower mass.

If you have the MC module, then it does rather depend on which arm you
have, as generally, MC cartridges have lower compliance than MMs.

By the way, some months ago, I asked a question about is there any
reason why MC cartridges should be better than MMs. Considering that,
for example, the Goldring cartridges are fitted with a Gyger style
(equivalent to a VdH stylus - some sharing of patents apparently) The
general consensus was that there is no intrinsic benefit to MC over MM,
and in fact, if you look at the benefits of MM, being higher output,
hence lower noise, and generally, but not universally, better tracking
ability, the advantages were generally on the MM side.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Thank you so much.
Probably you can't find a reference to the HW19jr because VPI no longer
makes it.
You ask about the arm: it's the Rega. As to the module, it's the mm.
Nonetheless, it's my understanding that a high output mc cartridge
would be fine. Do you have an opinion?

Again, thanks very much.

Max B.

Serge Auckland wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

Serge Auckland wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I find that a high-output moving coil is the worst of all possible worlds:-

1) To achieve high output, the coils have to have lots more turns,
consequently making the cartridge more sensitive to loading resistance
and capacitance, something the low-output MC has in its favour is the
relative insensitivity to loading. Alternatively, the cartridge could
have a much more powerful magnet, but that would increase overall
cartridge mass excessively, and so, as far as I know, it isn't done that
way.

2) The coils will tend to be heavier, consequently the moving mass as
seen at the stylus will be higher than a low-output MC and definitely
more than a MM. This will generally lead to poorer tracking performance.

3) The stylus is not replaceable, something I find useful in MMs, but
arguably, the fact that MCs have fixed stylii could be a factor in their
favour.

Your Rega arm will accept both medium-low compliance MCs and medium
compliance MMs well. I would avoid high compliance MMs, as the arm mass
is too high for them. For low compliance MCs, you may need to add some
arm mass, but adding mass to the arm is a lot easier than taking it away.

S.