Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
alex

Default Demand DAW soft for GNU/Linux

Novell has started a survey for checking which are the most demanded
apps to be able run on GNU/Linux. This can be a good base for pressing
software manufacturers.

Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16646.html

alex.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
RD Jones

alex wrote:

Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.

Not if the OS requires a programming degree to set up,
operate and maintain. Not to mention the time needed to
dedicate to said activities.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
alex

En/na RD Jones ha escrit:

Not if the OS requires a programming degree to set up,
operate and maintain. Not to mention the time needed to
dedicate to said activities.

sorry guys, i feared just this type of comments. i don't want an OS
flawe war, i just want that people interested in audio and having Linux
as their operative system of choice can have the same application
choices as the users of other operating systems. If you are not
interested in linux this is not for you, pass along!

BTW, that comment is totally biased. i run linux both at home and at
work, and don't require any of that.

try mandriva. it's pretty straight forward.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Laurence Payne

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:13:20 +0100, alex wrote:

Novell has started a survey for checking which are the most demanded
apps to be able run on GNU/Linux. This can be a good base for pressing
software manufacturers.

Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.

Why? And what's the point of porting commercial programs to a
platform where freebies are the expectation?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
alex

En/na Laurence Payne ha escrit:

Why?

choice, choice, choice.

And what's the point of porting commercial programs to a
platform where freebies are the expectation?

wrong. there are a bunch of commercial apps for linux. that the system
is based in libre software, doesn't mean that all the software you
install is/should be libre.

You can have now a free 3d app like blender and a commercial one like
maya. choice is the key here.

think about not needing a daw computer and a net computer. why shoudn't
one be able to connect to the net from his daw computer without risking
the system's stability?

BTW, i know more people with libre software that have economically
contributed to the developers than windows people who have actually paid
for their OS and software.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Laurence Payne

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:29:14 +0100, alex wrote:

think about not needing a daw computer and a net computer. why shoudn't
one be able to connect to the net from his daw computer without risking
the system's stability?

Indeed. And with due precautions, you can.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
alex

En/na Laurence Payne ha escrit:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:29:14 +0100, alex wrote:

think about not needing a daw computer and a net computer. why shoudn't
one be able to connect to the net from his daw computer without risking
the system's stability?

Indeed. And with due precautions, you can.

i didn't start this thread for advocacy, but for searching support in a
cause which i think it would benefit many of the group posters.

so this is my last reply at this types of comments.

see if you can agree in some this points:

- av software is expensive to maintain
- av software slows down your computer
- av software does not protect you against all treacheries (new viruses,
spyware, trojans, OS exploits will not be recognized)
- running an OS as administrator can be a real hazard to security
- av software should be kept away from your daws for performance

alex.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Scott Dorsey

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:13:20 +0100, alex wrote:

Novell has started a survey for checking which are the most demanded
apps to be able run on GNU/Linux. This can be a good base for pressing
software manufacturers.

Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.

Why? And what's the point of porting commercial programs to a
platform where freebies are the expectation?

Because when MS-DOS was new, free software was the expectation there
as well. Lots of things like the PC-Blue library and the big archives
of free software on simtel20 existed.

The reason this changed is that software companies produced software
that people wanted to buy, so they did. If you want this to change
in the Linux world as well, companies will have to sell software for
Linux that people want to buy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
philicorda

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:13:20 +0100, alex wrote:

Novell has started a survey for checking which are the most demanded
apps to be able run on GNU/Linux. This can be a good base for pressing
software manufacturers.

Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.

I'd like to see more native Linux apps, bu realistically...
I'd rather see companies working for better compatibility with Wine
(The Windows API layer for Linux), and better sound support in Wine.

There is not much chance of any big DAW company doing a true port to
Linux. It would be a huge task to change from the Win32 API to QT or GTK,
and I just don't think it going to happen.

There is no reason why the same software could not run as well, or better
under Wine. Benchmarks show Linux's superior i/o when running WindowsXP
applications:

http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5
Wine still falls behind on the 3d gaming benchmarks though.

I've had CubaseSX running in Wine and connecting via Jack to Ardour, so
it's possible to interconnect Linux and Windows apps on the same machine
already.

The other thing that's holding back Linux audio at the moment is the
licence restriction on the VST header file. So while you can legally run
VST/VSTi plugins on Linux at the moment, you can't distribute your binary
program to do so.

Much as I applaud your campaign to get Novell's attention about audio
software, I don't know if they are interested in sorting out either of the
above issues.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16646.html

alex.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Porky

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:13:20 +0100, alex wrote:

Novell has started a survey for checking which are the most demanded
apps to be able run on GNU/Linux. This can be a good base for pressing
software manufacturers.

Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.

Why? And what's the point of porting commercial programs to a
platform where freebies are the expectation?

I'd say that point would be that Linux isn't overbloated and inefficient
like Windows is, a well-written commercial music application should be more
efficient in Linux.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Porky

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:29:14 +0100, alex wrote:

think about not needing a daw computer and a net computer. why shoudn't
one be able to connect to the net from his daw computer without risking
the system's stability?

Indeed. And with due precautions, you can.

I have a computer for the 'Net, but my DAW is set up for dual boot in case
I need to save time when downloading, authorizing, etc.
You can have a dual boot setup using a single copy of XP, both copies will
authorize with no problem, since you can only use one at a time. Doing it
that way, your music setup can be bare bones, no AV or unnecessary processes
running so you can get the most out of it, but your 'Net setup can have all
the protection you need when going online.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
CWCunningham

"alex" wrote in message ...
| Novell has started a survey for checking which are the most demanded
| apps to be able run on GNU/Linux. This can be a good base for pressing
| software manufacturers.
|
| Risking to start a flame war, my only intention is to push up DAW
| applications on the list, as surely all of us would benefit of a greater
| range of operating systems to run our preferred applications.
|
| http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16646.html

I went there and was willing to go along, but when I checked the available apps
in the dropdown, it occured to me you're suggesting an "other" app. I use a
dedicated DAW, so there's really no software I would push for. And in the list
for Novell products I use, there were no entries for the Novell products I've
owned and used ... so ... I'm not ready to share personal info when there's
nothing I'm really looking for under linux.

I wish you luck with this.

--
CWC