Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Audiophilia in the 21st Century

After being told that audiophiles don't use FFTs and measurement mics to
enhance their listening rooms, I sit here amused by the non-response to my
list of recent home audio products from 4 different major manufacturers,
that do exactly that, assisted by their own microprocessor controllers.
FWIW, a number of so-called professional audio products function in a
similar fashion. The major differences are packaging.

I think its time for some old-time audiophiles (of all ages) to realize that
home audio isn't their daddy's Oldsmobile, not even the Cutlass that they
used to drive.

Case in point is an interesting thread over at the Hydrogen Audio Forum
(HA), which is simply one of the proliferating HTML newsgoups that has drawn
a lot of participants from the segment of audiophilia that used to post on
RAHE.

An audiophile on HA complained that he obtained a bad-sounding download from
a major source. Within 24 hours, two 30 second segments of the CD and
downloaded versions of the work had been prepared and uploaded, including
precise time-synching and level-matching. Someone then dowloaded the files
and posted the results of their ABX test, which showed an audible difference
at the 98% confidence level.

BTW, the recording in question (DGG, natch!) shows obvious signs of slipshod
production.

I'm sure that certain RAHE participants would characterize what I saw on HA
as being the activities of audio professionals. In fact not even the
professional audio forums that I participate in (HTML, Usenet, and Mailing
List) achieve this level of technical sophistication. It's just a bunch of
modern consumers using common modern audio tools in their search for truth
about audio.